• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Hi guys,
smile.gif

I've recently bought a pair of suede C&J Cavendish (tassel) loafers. Actually, these are my first pair of tassels and I do have an inqiury regarding the care of the decorative tassels themselves. I've heard stories about the tassels "splitting" (disfiguring) with wear; is there a special way to care for them? I've seen products like Tasselmate, but aren't they for calf shoes only?

Last edited:

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
happy.gif

I have recently got a fine pair of suede shoes and are considering investing some suede care product, I have read a wonderful suede care article here: https://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care-guide/how-to-clean-suede-shoes/

in this article, several suede care product are recommended: Gommadin(suede eraser), Omni'Nettoyant Suede Cleaner, suede brush(crepe brush?), suede renovator, super invulner. Is every one of these essential for suede care? if not, what do you use?

another question is, do I need to apply any leather sole protect product? several of my shoes are single soled and I really want them to last longer, if sole protect product works I may consider grabbing one too!

Thanks in advance!

Stemo79

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
happy.gif

I have recently got a fine pair of suede shoes and are considering investing some suede care product, I have read a wonderful suede care article here: https://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care-guide/how-to-clean-suede-shoes/

in this article, several suede care product are recommended: Gommadin(suede eraser), Omni'Nettoyant Suede Cleaner, suede brush(crepe brush?), suede renovator, super invulner. Is every one of these essential for suede care? if not, what do you use?

another question is, do I need to apply any leather sole protect product? several of my shoes are single soled and I really want them to last longer, if sole protect product works I may consider grabbing one too!

Thanks in advance!
I tend to get by with a suede spray protector and a brass brush which take great care of my suede. Suede erasers are handy for small marks but I barely use mine. I do have the Omni'Nettoyant for emergencies, only needed to use it once or twice but it really works well for suede thats heavily soiled. You would be better just using a brush though for everyday upkeep and for as long as you can. Ive found that shampood suede never looks as fresh as its original state, but maybe thats just me doing something wrong... who knows!

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to get by with a suede spray protector and a brass brush which take great care of my suede. Suede erasers are handy for small marks but I barely use mine. I do have the Omni'Nettoyant for emergencies, only needed to use it once or twice but it really works well for suede thats heavily soiled. You would be better just using a brush though for everyday upkeep and for as long as you can. Ive found that shampood suede never looks as fresh as its original state, but maybe thats just me doing something wrong... who knows!

according to the tutorial, you have to apply clean water after you shampood it, then wait it to dry, then brush it. maybe you skipped some step?

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you apply Invulner or nano protector or anything that is equivalent, you will only really need a suede brush and Gommadin for dirt and dust removal.

Omni'nettoyant is a good product. However, if you cover with Invulner and reapply it regularly, Omni would only be used in an emergency of some sort; nano particle protector keeps the suede clean, making the need for suede shampoo unnecessary. Use common sense, protect the suede at the start, brush out dust and grit, and reapply suede protector. You seem inexperienced, but anal, so you will likely be fine. Also use the search function in this thread for detailed past posts on the subject of suede care. @Stemo79 offered you good and solid advice. You may choose to take it or not.

If you want to protect the soles of your new shoes so bad, perhaps you should consider Topy. I'm not crazy about Topied soles, but they are effective.

colco

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
happy.gif

Thanks in advance!

Suede is easier to take care of than I had thought before getting into shoes/clothes. I had always considered it delicate or high maintenance, and most other people that I have spoken with feel this way. I rotate about 6-7 pairs of suede shoes/boots throughout the year for both business in casual. I pretty much wear my suede shoes regardless of weather (save for obvious driving downpours or snow on the ground), brush them after wear and leave it alone otherwise. I am of the suede looks best with a bit of wear however. If you are of a different mindset (if you don't wear linen because you hate wrinkles as an example) than you'll probably take more care than I do.

Regarding sole protection, I wear leather soled shoes until I think they'd benefit from a topy (I admit this isn't scientific). Then I get them topied. When that wears out I get them resoled and begin process from the beginning.

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or just try not to get them dirty .....
tongue.gif

If you apply Invulner or nano protector or anything that is equivalent, you will only really need a suede brush and Gommadin for dirt and dust removal.

Omni'nettoyant is a good product. However, if you cover with Invulner and reapply it regularly, Omni would only be used in an emergency of some sort; nano particle protector keeps the suede clean, making the need for suede shampoo unnecessary. Use common sense, protect the suede at the start, brush out dust and grit, and reapply suede protector. You seem inexperienced, but anal, so you will likely be fine. Also use the search function in this thread for detailed past posts on the subject of suede care. @Stemo79 offered you good and solid advice. You may choose to take it or not.

If you want to protect the soles of your new shoes so bad, perhaps you should consider Topy. I'm not crazy about Topied soles, but they are effective.

Suede is easier to take care of than I had thought before getting into shoes/clothes. I had always considered it delicate or high maintenance, and most other people that I have spoken with feel this way. I rotate about 6-7 pairs of suede shoes/boots throughout the year for both business in casual. I pretty much wear my suede shoes regardless of weather (save for obvious driving downpours or snow on the ground), brush them after wear and leave it alone otherwise. I am of the suede looks best with a bit of wear however. If you are of a different mindset (if you don't wear linen because you hate wrinkles as an example) than you'll probably take more care than I do.

Regarding sole protection, I wear leather soled shoes until I think they'd benefit from a topy (I admit this isn't scientific). Then I get them topied. When that wears out I get them resoled and begin process from the beginning.

thanks for all your inputs guys! I think I will be fine with a suede spray and a suede brush for now, saphir's Invulner seems great, but the local seller told me their suede renovator have water-resistant functions as well as clean and recolor, any idea of comparing suede reno with invulner?

as for sole protection, I don't like topies neither, I would rather resole them or what is the point of buying leather-soled shoes
mwink[1].gif
but here I got a thought, can water resistant spray/cream be applied to leather soles?

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you use now instead of reno? I think I will keep on using reno for some shoes, but especially boots I just don't think it's cost efficient.

Felix

BTW, Stefano Bemer (the shop, not the dead shoemaker) uses pure alcohol as cleaning agent and regular shoe cream for conditioning. I would trust them over pseudo professional marketing of Saphir resellers in the US.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi guys, :)
is there a special way to care for them? I've seen products like Tasselmate, but aren't they for calf shoes only?

Just sling an elastic rubber band over the tassels to keep them in place when the shoes are stored. No need for fancy gadgets.

Brenner

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I got 3 units of Medaille D´Or pommadier cream for the first time, light brown, black and neutral. Light brown looks like bream, but the blacl cream and neutral cream have like a dry layer and then the cream, is this normal?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member