• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Beer Thread

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
Any recommended session beers? Tired of high alcohol monsters...

Stone Levitation is probably one of my favorite session beers. Also the Weihenstephaners, Ayingers, and Julius Echter when I want wheat.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Is pumpkin beer any good? I see a shitload of it around this time but never bothered trying it, always figured it was some sort of plebian novelty

This is probably the best pumpkin beer i've had. I've had pretty much every kind including a lot of New England area local stuff. The best pumpkin flavor and beer flavor by far for me.

Runner up is Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale

Most pumpkin ales are just overwhelming with the spices but the Southern Tier Pum-King and the Weyerbacher are both good. Southern Tier the best overall pumpkin flavor. Highly recommended before the season ends. Can prob find some on sale now that halloween is over

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seph
I recently tried a beer called "Pork Slap". Get it at Whole Foods. Delicious. http://www.butternutsbeerandale.com/

I've had most the butternuts beers. It's fun to pick up an assorted 12pack to bring over to a friend's place because all the beer cans have cutsy little pictures and names (moo stout for example). All pretty solid. Nothing mindblowing but good solid beers.

Originally Posted by Johnny_5

I love the label of the Maudite

lol. i did this too a few times. Went to a specialty beer store or something like that and picked a few beers based solely on the bottle design. Worked out well for the most part. Maudite is pretty solid as well

Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
Trader Joe's used to carry a "vintage ale" that was made for them by Unibroue, and it was always good. Pity they don't carry it anymore.
Drake's 1500 Pale Ale is a decent session beer.
I've been waiting for the milk/cream stouts to return - for some reason they're so hard to find here
plain.gif

Yea, they put it out a few special editions too titled simply "10", "12" "17" in large bottle format. Were pretty good. I've had 2 of them i think 17 and then one more i can't remember. I enjoyed them. I think i had the trader joes one too and was ok. It's pretty easy for breweries to do special stuff like that for stores. Simple as putting a label on it really. Pretty much any whole foods can request a special blend from local roasters near them like Rao's in west mass will put "Insert Store St Name Here Blend" if you just ask.

Originally Posted by pscolari
THere is a restaurant in Boston that makes a drink called Pimm's Slap: pimm's cup, pork slap, ginger ale, and lemon.

I like both the beer and this cocktail. Nice change of pace to find a good beer in a can.

Highland kitchen or myers and chang? I had a friend who went there and told me about it since i brought a 6er of pork slap over once.. Hmm... Looks easy enough. Should just make one at home.

I still encourage all of you guys to seek out as many varieties as you can of this
http://micro.dieuduciel.com/en/beers.php

Don't be scared or fooled by flavorings. They're some of the better balanced beers i've had and the flavors are really subtle, interesting, and addictive. Their straight brews like the blonde abbey ale, belgian wheat, and imperial coffee stout are great. I've had those three, the hibiscus and the rye with peppercorns. The rye with peppercorns is unreal awesome

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
This is probably the best pumpkin beer i've had. I've had pretty much every kind including a lot of New England area local stuff. The best pumpkin flavor and beer flavor by far for me.

Most pumpkin ales are just overwhelming with the spices but the Southern Tier Pum-King and the Weyerbacher are both good. Southern Tier the best overall pumpkin flavor. Highly recommended before the season ends. Can prob find some on sale now that halloween is over

That Weyerbacher is probably one of best pumpkin beers around.

Chronoaug - since you are in Boston, you should check out Cambridge Brewing Co (kendall sq) as their pumpkin is one of the best anywhere. Shame they never bottle their beers.

Myers and chang? I had a friend who went there and told me about it since i brought a 6er of pork slap over once.. Hmm... Looks easy enough. Should just make one at home.

Yes. Myers and Chang is the spot. I googled the drink to see if this is their creation or something other people are doing as well. It appears they came up with it.

eztantz

Reaction score
Favorite beer:

sierra-nevada-pale-ale-ss.jpg

Nothing like a freezing cold Sierra Nevada Pale Ale to quench your thirst!

Favorite ale:

corsendonk.jpg

Abbey Brown, Blond & Dubbel YUM!!! Triple - not as god but OK.

VeloTime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
3fdb292b.jpg

I usually hate pumpkin beer but this one is really good. Bought a bottle when it was suggested by the beer man at the store and was pleasantly surprised. I'm trying to track down a couple bottles for Turkey Day but everywhere I've been lately is sold out of it.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VeloTime
I usually hate pumpkin beer but this one is really good. Bought a bottle when it was suggested by the beer man at the store and was pleasantly surprised. I'm trying to track down a couple bottles for Turkey Day but everywhere I've been lately is sold out of it.

Definitely a good idea to stock up for Turkey Day. I saw plenty at Whole Foods the other day, I should have grabbed some while I had the chance. If you have one in your area I would pop over and see if they have any. I was actually stunned to see the selection of beers they had.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eztantz
corsendonk.jpg
Abbey Brown, Blond & Dubbel YUM!!! Triple - not as god but OK.

Now we're talkin'!
Definitely a good idea to stock up for Turkey Day. I saw plenty at Whole Foods the other day, I should have grabbed some while I had the chance. If you have one in your area I would pop over and see if they have any. I was actually stunned to see the selection of beers they had.
+1 on WF. Depending on the location they've usually got a very respectable selection of beers.

hdave

Reaction score
I keep it simple and cheap lol.
Coors light, canadian, heinekin, moosehead, stella
I usually just say "me too" to any of those

ltb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug

The southern tier was delicious. I just moved to New England so I had access to a lot of seasonals and I found it to be the best of the pumpkin flavors for sure.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdaws
9CE29C69.jpg

Can someone please tell me about this beer? Whats so special about it? I googled it and saw that some paid $12,800 for a bottle on ebay. Nuts.

rdaws

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me about this beer? Whats so special about it? I googled it and saw that some paid $12,800 for a bottle on ebay. Nuts.

Yikes, I don't think it's worth THAT much.

This is the Three Floyds Dark Lord Imperial Stout. It's available only one day per year at their Munster, IN Brewery. They do it up like a festival, with a bunch of brewers from all over the country that bring in "guest" brews. They also have some interesting takes on it, like oaked and vanilla, that you can try on site (but which aren't bottled). There are usually a bunch of people from all over the country that come to swap beers, get drunk, and talk about brewing.

The allocations require a "golden ticket", which you go online to procure before attending the festival. That entitles you to a certain number of bottles (changes by the year) when you arrive.

This past year I didn't manage to win the lottery for the tickets, but I went anyway and scalped a few for $30-40 bucks a pop, which is about 100%+ markup from the price if you got the ticket. The stuff ages pretty well and the early years were pretty limited in quantity (particularly unopened quantity at this point), so I've seen bottles going for a few hundred bucks for the older vintages. $12K is insane though.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had every vintage of Dark Lord from '04 to '10 and each year is different in it's own unique way. You can actually buy bottles from the brewpub after 5pm on Dark Lord Day for $15 and there isn't a limit. It's all the left over bottles that weren't bought from the Golden Tickets, I personally think FFF produces much better beers than their Dark Lord, but because of the hype and exclusivity it's often rated a lot higher than I feel it should be...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads