• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horween Essex watch band, Made it for a friend for Christmas

Hand sewn, lined and padded with veg tan.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@blackderbyhat or anyone,

I defaced my cream GATs with a drop of red dye, and it was exascerbated when someone tried to clean it off and spread it around. Now it just looks like a **** stain. It's only on a couple of the side panels on one shoe. What type of paint should I use, and how can I color match to the current color (I don't want to paint the whole two shoes) It's these:

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, the stains are really ugly. Plus I LOVE the cream color. I was disgusted with what happened.

blackderbyhat

Reaction score

@blackderbyhat or anyone,

I defaced my cream GATs with a drop of red dye, and it was exascerbated when someone tried to clean it off and spread it around. Now it just looks like a **** stain. It's only on a couple of the side panels on one shoe. What type of paint should I use, and how can I color match to the current color (I don't want to paint the whole two shoes) It's these:

Personally I'd just do a thin layer of a tinted gesso. (Buy white gesso and cream acrylic, mix until you've got a color you like) You want something flexible and matte, so it sounds like it would work just fine.

Look at my first photo for an example of thickness & result.

It's really hard to match paints like that though. You'll know if you've ever had to paint a patched hole in a wall. Id probably paint half the shoe in a style like this.

Or just have some backup idea for if the painted over spot just looks like a disease

blackderbyhat

Reaction score
The panels do take paint pretty nicely though. You shouldn't really have a problem with it cracking on you. This was after a couple layers iirc

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is stupid, but has anyone tried turning a "normal" derby-sole into a wedge one?
Like, simply just filling out the "gap" between the heel and front pad with a block of rubber/wood/whatever, paint the whole side of the sole black, put on a topy?

To illustrate

You obviously dont get the same comfort as if it was a real wedge/crepe sole but besides that I can't really see any reason why this wouldn't work.
(I need some new derbies but finding decently priced wedge sole ones is nigh impossible)

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe this is stupid, but has anyone tried turning a "normal" derby-sole into a wedge one? Like, simply just filling out the "gap" between the heel and front pad with a block of rubber/wood/whatever, paint the whole side of the sole black, put on a topy? To illustrate You obviously dont get the same comfort as if it was a real wedge/crepe sole but besides that I can't really see any reason why this wouldn't work. (I need some new derbies but finding decently priced wedge sole ones is nigh impossible)
What's your shoe size? I might have some random ones that are too big on me

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
meet "Puffy Chulo", he's an orange nylon puffer jacket with smooth chocolate calfskin sleeves, chocolate beaver fur collar, and adjustable hood :embar: He'll keep you warm day and night; he cool like dat

2dvpug4.jpg

1537h1h.jpg

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty proud day for me today, the coat I made last semester is being displayed on Michigan Ave. Kind of a ****** pic, what with the reflection and all, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

boned

Reaction score

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.
I have the same pair of GATs. The whole shoe oxidized to a yellow color. Used Fiebings white dye. Worked great but it did crack in some areas. I made a post on them in this thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads