• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@KoY it might very well be cheaper (and more comfortable) to just have the whole sole replaced. Or even finding some postman 101's.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe this is stupid, but has anyone tried turning a "normal" derby-sole into a wedge one? 

I'm actually having my cobbler do the opposite and put a commando sole on my Ann D's. Rather than fill the gap I'm sure a better long term (and probably more comfortable) option would be to have the whole sole replaced with a Vibram wedge sole. The Vibram version looks pretty darn close to the original Ann D sole.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished sewing the lining in this morning. Freshhh

Tropical upholstery fabric and kubaro selvedge with washed goatskin accents

Last edited:

Benjaminba

Reaction score
Maybe not the right thread for this, but anyway.. Just for fun, I picked up this old vintage coat. It's huge haha. I don't know why I got it.. The tweed fabric was just too nice I think. And cheap of course.

So the question is, should I try to salvage it? Lot of difficult tailoring required which I can't do myself: remove shoulder padding, reduce shoulder width, slim sleeves, reduce overall length some. Also, it smells funny, so dry clean. Kind of a lot of money, but if successful it might turn out pretty cool.

Problem areas: **** in the back, huge armholes which I guess means sleeves can only be tapered, not slimmed all the way, just way too wide in the chest and shoulders. It's not so visible in these photos, but the with the shoulder padding, the shoulder seam probably extend like 2 cm beyond my actual shoulders.

Could also use the fabric for an awesome tote bag I guess, but it would almost be a shame!

Pictures below are with clamps in the back
rolleyes.gif
, which probably removes like 10cm.

(the clamps!)

(lol
blush.gif
)

Last edited:

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe not the right thread for this, but anyway.. Just for fun, I picked up this old vintage coat. It's huge haha. I don't know why I got it.. The tweed fabric was just too nice I think. And cheap of course. So the question is, should I try to salvage it? Lot of difficult tailoring required which I can't do myself: remove shoulder padding, reduce shoulder width, slim sleeves, reduce overall length some. Also, it smells funny, so dry clean. Kind of a lot of money, but if successful it might turn out pretty cool. Problem areas: **** in the back, huge armholes which I guess means sleeves can only be tapered, not slimmed all the way, just way too wide in the chest and shoulders. It's not so visible in these photos, but the with the shoulder padding, the shoulder seam probably extend like 2 cm beyond my actual shoulders. Could also use the fabric for an awesome tote bag I guess, but it would almost be a shame! Pictures below are with clamps in the back :rolleyes: , which probably removes like 10cm. (the clamps!) (lol:blush: )
Honestly I think the best thing you could do to make proportions work would just get sleeves shortened to your arm length, I have a Dries parka that fits oversized and once I got the sleeves shortened it was like night and day. But I think you could wear it oversized, you look slim enough to make it work.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
generally I'd agree. i mean, first question is, it's cool, but do you feel like it's you? if there's no question, proceed. dry clean if airing it out doesn't fix the smell, shorten the sleeves just enough, maybe get it slimmed down to the size you've got it pinned to, plan on wearing some thick-ass sweaters under it, and enjoy.

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
I made myself a shirt at work the other day.

Super 120s cotton/Mother-of-Pearl Buttons/Handsewn Buttonholes in Silk thread.

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do these compare to Super Lampo and RiRi?

The only RiRi and Lampo zips I've handled are on a pair of Lanvin biker pants, the Excella's feel smoother. That being said, I'm comparing wider Excella to normal width RiRi and Lampo, so not a fair comparison.

No idea on Super Lampos.

I can actually source the thicker Excella's very easily, other brands not so much, so they've got that going for them.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How do these compare to Super Lampo and RiRi?

I find them much more durable as well as smoother than riris. Riri zips, ime, are the premium zippers most likely to lose teeth or otherwise break. Super Lampos, ime, are not as smooth.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of shiny black side zips that I want to make matte so it will go with more stuff. The shininess makes them too dressy I feel. How should I do this?

Would putting a deglosser on it ruin the leather? Would putting some kind of black polish or something like Obenauf's LP work? Or should I just leave it as is and just wear it with dressier stuff. Thanks.

tgaith77

Reaction score
Just use an ultra fine grit sandpaper. Use light, circular strokes. There might be some really fine scuff marks afterwards that you can just rub out with your thumb. Should give you a nice matte finish.

I had a pair of AMI black crepe soled jodphur boots that had a high gloss. Used some sandpaper on them and it knocked the shine off completely.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads