• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

flowcharts

Reaction score
I've had this picture in my inspiration album for a minute and have wanted to do something similar, unfortunately my monkstraps lack the substantial heel and moc toe that I feel makes this looks so interesting.

Saw your post with that pic late last night and stuff kinda clicked. I've had an old thrifted pair of size 40 tux pants waiting for a rebuild. I knew I was going to take them in at the seat to help get the size down, but needed to take the same amount out of the front to keep pocket placement from getting weird. I ended up redoing the front pleats, then sewing the front together from the pleat all the way down the front seam. Worked out really well, in addition to some tapering on both sides. Still haven't re-pressed anything or trimmed all the excess material from the insides, so they'll bunch & stack a little less eventually, but honestly I like it given how skinny things got.

Sorry for the pic quality, everything's been pretty quick & dirty

stealing another yohji detail while I'm at it

leather buttons, dyed black and a little distressed. probably going to play around with the tab shape

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi FC

Might I suggest you go to Stylefourms search function. Ask for "tailors tutorials" there is a fount of information there.
Its about tailoring and alterations.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

So i guess this bag is pretty much complete. Handles are on, zipper installed as well as the lining. I still need to feed it with a bit of conditioner and brig up the luster with a horse hair brush.

I may source some brass "feet" for the bottom of the bag before i begin to use it daily..

And the interior. Went with an ecru canvas lining as I plan to really use this bag. I also didn't want to use a synthetic fiber. Other linings or materials did not seem up to the task.

Thanks for looking.

Chris

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gents,

So i guess this bag is pretty much complete. Handles are on, zipper installed as well as the lining. I still need to feed it with a bit of conditioner and brig up the luster with a horse hair brush.

Chris

Great work, and yes get some feet to protect it's loveliness!

ertu

Reaction score
Gents,

Update on the duffel project. Beginning to look like a actual bag now. Ends sewn on with piping.

Handles, lining, and zipper next.

BC

Incredible. Did you use a sewing machine or sew it all by hand? How long does something like that take?

Last edited:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here that has tried taking some old wool coat with superwide shoulders, take off the sleeves, cut of and tailor sides of body and re-attach the sleeves?
Only just realized what a treasure trove of outerwear thrift shops here would be with a few modifications to the pieces (usually shoulder and sleeve width)

ghostface

Reaction score
it is definitely possible, and something i've done, but (1) your tailor needs to be pretty skilled, since re-cutting shoulders can be tricky, and (2) you'd need to be prepared to drop $150+ for the alterations (re-cutting shoulders, slimming sleeves, slimming body).

in many cases, i think a better solution is to accept the oversized-ness of the coat and deal with blocky shoulders by ripping out the shoulder padding (this has always worked well for me on coats made from heavier materials).

i've recently bought several awesome vintage coats (one an emerald green felted wool shawl collar coat, the other an oversized mega-herringbone coat), which have kind of soured me on buying contemporary designer stuff.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it is definitely possible, and something i've done, but (1) your tailor needs to be pretty skilled, since re-cutting shoulders can be tricky, and (2) you'd need to be prepared to drop $150+ for the alterations (re-cutting shoulders, slimming sleeves, slimming body).

in many cases, i think a better solution is to accept the oversized-ness of the coat and deal with blocky shoulders by ripping out the shoulder padding (this has always worked well for me on coats made from heavier materials).

i've recently bought several awesome vintage coats (one an emerald green felted wool shawl collar coat, the other an oversized mega-herringbone coat), which have kind of soured me on buying contemporary designer stuff.
I was actually thinking off trying to do it by myself, but I guess maybe I'm underestimating how tricky it is to shorten shoulder.

On another note, I picked up this supercozy vintage Eddie Bauer down coat earlier today (x-posting from RP) and it's pretty much perfect everywhere size-wise except for the sleeve-lengths which are just a bit short. There's also some rather old-school wooden buckles at the sleeve openings which contrasts kind of badly to how I'd otherwise wear it as a sort of techy/futuristic piece.
Another thrift shop find, you can't really have too many long coats

(especially when it's goose down filled and basically weightless, feels like wearing a cloud
thumbs-up.gif
)

So, I was thinking I'd remove the strap and buckle and instead have my tailor add some ribbing to the end of the sleeves to both lenghten them a little and also removing the need for the straps.

What I'm wondering is
1. which color ribbing I should go for (something white-ish I guess?) and
2. if I should tell him to first add like 4-5cms of wool or something in a color similar to the coat to lengthen them even more or if that will just look weird.

EDIT: Oh and also found this womens coat with crazy ugly sleeves but a removable rabbit fur lining, will probably go back for it tomorrow and put the lining in my black cos wool coat instead

Last edited:

ghostface

Reaction score
cool coat. i kinda like the wrist straps. if you're gonna go the ribbing route, though, i'd aim for a color as close as possible to the coat's color (and the tailor should be able to make the ribbing as long as you'd like, so there's no need to add a third material to lengthen the sleeves).

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ye I don't really mind the straps either but the buckle is ugly and I'd like to lengthen the sleeves either way, so seems a bit pointless to have both ribbing and strap.
Also didn't realize until now the outer fabric is actually gore-tex, so this will get a ton of wear this winter
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

1000archa

Reaction score
kindofyoung, since the coat is beige, I would go for something either same colour or brown. Thing is, with a beige coat you won't be very likely wearing all black, so brown wouldn't look too off. +1 on removing the straps, they look a bit archaic. Awesome coat btw.

that duffle bag casually boshed out like it's nothing up the page left me absolutely speechless btw.

PS. first post, hiya!
worship.gif

Benjaminba

Reaction score

Would love to see pictures of those coats. Or some fit pics. A green shawl collar coat doesn't sound like the usual vintage coat..

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads