• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rstldr

Reaction score

Just curious - how many folks still work in offices where these rules are essentially still in effect. Said another way, how many people wear a suit every day?

I find that outside of specific professions or city's a loafer will be acceptable the vast majority of the time. Most shoes worn by people are cheap and so with a high quality show in general you will present a more professional appearance than your colleagues. Exceptions in my mind are investment banking, lawyers and NYC and maybe DC.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find that outside of specific professions or city's a loafer will be acceptable the vast majority of the time. Most shoes worn by people are cheap and so with a high quality show in general you will present a more professional appearance than your colleagues. Exceptions in my mind are investment banking, lawyers and NYC and maybe DC.

I feel like a black loafer is most Americans' idea of a "dress shoe," even here in NYC. not a heavy-stitch mocc toe loafer, but a sleek Italian penny with machine apron. I see them everywhere in midtown and the financial district.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like a black loafer is most Americans' idea of a "dress shoe," even here in NYC. not a heavy-stitch mocc toe loafer, but a sleek Italian penny with machine apron. I see them everywhere in midtown and the financial district.

Agreed, except that they often aren't "Italian" but rather cheap and sometimes comically square toed, beaten up, neglected, etc. I think wearing any type of loafer with a suit is a very American thing. I am not saying I am against it, only that I personally don't do it even though I think you can get away with it in many contexts. The LHS, even with the moc stitching, can be worn business casual without much difficulty. It's a sharp loafer and fairly versatile.

NYC and DC have some well dressed people, but many aren't dressed any better than anywhere else.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was living in nyc I never saw anything outside of ferragamo/Gucci loafers in office building situations in regards to nicer footwear. Only a couple Alden sightings here an there out in the wild and nothing in the likes of JL or EG. I feel like an LHS can be 'dressed' up to a degree, but I like the versatility of it cause it can be causal as well. Full straps and tassels for me at least feel a little more formal, but that's also probably do to the fact that I don't thing I could pull them off that well haha

loanshark

Reaction score
Tassels and full straps can be easily worn up in any business situation up to a suit IMO. I wear my BB #8 tassels and black full straps often with a jacket and odd trousers.

profkrispy

Reaction score

Alpine grain short wing boots.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been a long time - I've been busy with work, travel and a new girlfriend. But it's fall and time for the best Alden pair I've owned:

Last edited:

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BB 06603 Unilined Penny Loafer. The absolute most versatile shoe in my rotation. Next would be the BB Eight Tassel.

Last edited:

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's been a long time - I've been busy with work, travel and a new girlfriend. But it's fall and time for the best Alden pair I've owned:

congrats on the new GF and the Indys.

Now for the $64,000 question - what does the new GF think of the Alden addiction??

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She doesn't like the fact I wear mostly horsehide shoes but appreciates the fact that my shoes are better made than her $1,200 Louis Vuittons

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads