• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice, i want to start expanding my business casual wardrobe. Currently i have a black captoe, brown wingtip and a chili loafer.
In the upcoming months ill be looking to purchase 2-3 pairs of alden shoes/ boots. (I will also be picking up a pair of epaulet jumper boots for the winter) I would like some recommendations as to which shoes would be the best to get and in what order i should get them. I live in nyc and would rather by the shoes in a brick and mortar location, as far as locations go i know that epaulet has a small collection of aldens and leffot does as well, any other stores i should check out?

What interest me most are the unlined chukka boots, the longwings and the alden x leffot coolney. I like the indy boot in 403 but i think it might be too casual to wear with trousers and a ocbd.

(THIS IS THE BOOT I LOVE)
I'm with you - I want an NST - really would like it to be brown CXL or ravello shell on a commando sole. Leather Soul has one, but are out in my size and no ETA on the next run... :(

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with you - I want an NST - really would like it to be brown CXL or ravello shell on a commando sole. Leather Soul has one, but are out in my size and no ETA on the next run... :(

Alden's hand-stitching department is super backlogged.

RSR3

Reaction score
Alden Color 8 Tassel. Too busy to pull out Nikon today...

-Mike

Great classic combo Mike!

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will let the Alden constituent decide:

A member here without any feedbacks or post count wanted to purchase a pair of Alden from me. I was hesitant due to the aforementioned reasons. I kindly declined his offer and it appears he used another account with “one” positive feedback to purchase the shoes. I didn’t know both users are related until payment was submitted via paypal and I noticed that the shipping address has the same name as the first user.

The shoes are pricey (brand new exotic) and the user paid using paypal + the 4%. I would really like to sell it to somebody who is an enthusiast and he seems to be pretty excited about the shoes, but as you know, the risks are the risks.

So all in all, would you ship it to the user? Thoughts?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

A member here without any feedbacks or post count wanted to purchase a pair of Alden from me. I was hesitant due to the aforementioned reasons. I kindly declined his offer and it appears he used another account with “one” positive feedback to purchase the shoes. I didn’t know both users are related until payment was submitted via paypal and I noticed that the shipping address has the same name as the first user.

The shoes are pricey (brand new exotic) and the user paid using paypal + the 4%. I would really like to sell it to somebody who is an enthusiast and he seems to be pretty excited about the shoes, but as you know, the risks are the risks.

When it comes to selling, I don't worry about feedback with the buyer typically. They really assume all the risk. As long as they pay, I ship. About the enthusiast thing...I dunno...I guess they can like shoes as much as a posting member, but doesn't participate.

The account switching can be shady, but like above, if you got the money then you're good.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When it comes to selling, I don't worry about feedback with the buyer typically. They really assume all the risk. As long as they pay, I ship. About the enthusiast thing...I dunno...I guess they can like shoes as much as a posting member, but doesn't participate. 

The account switching can be shady, but like above, if you got the money then you're good.

This.

I don't care who buys my goods as long as they pay. The only time I am somewhat hesitant is when it's somebody who just joined the forum and lives overseas. But in the end I usually end up selling them to them anyway. I haven't yet been burned. (knock on wood)

ATLVol

Reaction score

I picked up the LS version last year and could not be happier with it.....I would ask to be added to the "dream" list for when they make another run.

stevefok

Reaction score

A member here without any feedbacks or post count wanted to purchase a pair of Alden from me.  I was hesitant due to the aforementioned reasons. I kindly declined his offer and it appears he used another account with “one” positive feedback to purchase the shoes.  I didn’t know both users are related until payment was submitted via paypal and I noticed that the shipping address has the same name as the first user.

The shoes are pricey (brand new exotic) and the user paid using paypal + the 4%.   I would really like to sell it to somebody who is an enthusiast and he seems to be pretty excited about the shoes, but as you know, the risks are the risks.

The price you set is very reasonable IMO and your size is hot size. If you are unsure, just save it for another guy who you feel comfortable to deal with.

Bonggoy

Reaction score

They are just shoes.

Did you specify only "enthusiast" can buy the shoes?

He paid what you asked for, you ship.

OdusBK

Reaction score

There is an Alden store on Madison, it will have by far the most Alden models in NYC. They have tons of stock offerings and special make-ups. They won't have something quite like that UnionMade boot though. That style of boot is fantastic but IMO the single leather sole doesn't fit it, that boot on crepe or commando is at the top of my casual boot want list. Brick & Mortar, a store in Seattle with a web presence, has a similar boot available now, but it's on the TruBalance last and has a commando sole.

Epaulet and Leffot are easily 2 of the best Alden resellers, along with AoM you are fortunate to have those 3 stores available to you. All will be very helpful in finding what fits you best.

I am not a chukka boot fan but many are and they go well with trousers/OCBD. LWBs and the Leffot Cooney boot would work great. Living in NYC I would personally look at models with crepe & commando soles unless you don't plan on doing a lot of walking.

Would you say that the crepe would be more durable? My only experience with crepe soles would be clarks, they are moderately comfortable but they are pretty much sponges. (Not that im planning on using these as rain shoes)

This also raises the following question could crepe be resoled as a commando in the future? (Im pretty sure ive read alden will only restore to the original sole but could any other competent cobbler get the job done?)

shoetree

Reaction score

Looking for a bit of advice, i want to start expanding my business casual wardrobe. Currently i have a black captoe, brown wingtip and a chili loafer. 
In the upcoming months ill be looking to purchase 2-3 pairs of alden shoes/ boots. (I will also be picking up a pair of epaulet jumper boots for the winter) I would like some recommendations as to which shoes would be the best to get and in what order i should get them. I live in nyc and would rather by the shoes in a brick and mortar location, as far as locations go i know that epaulet has a small collection of aldens and leffot does as well, any other stores i should check out?

What interest me most are the unlined chukka boots, the longwings and the alden x leffot coolney. I like the indy boot in 403 but i think it might be too casual to wear with trousers and a ocbd. 

(THIS IS THE BOOT I LOVE)

Color 8 longwing or ptb with commando sole. Very versatile and great in NYC. Both are sometimes available at Alden Madison Ave. It is worth the trip to ShoeMart in Connecticut if you can make it. Also check out citishoes on park ave. The other retailers you mentioned above are great as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads