• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

akhanani

Reaction score
Please do share thoughts on how much lighter these were when you picked them up--I got in on the Leffot pre-order and can't wait!

Relatedly: how do these hold up in the rain? Any thoughts on sno-seal?

Thanks!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whiskey Chukka Boot.
-Mike
You have an amazing collection of shoes Mike and these are unquestionably my favorite. The ultimate in cool casual versatility. Nicely done.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question for the group if I may. Looking at some Alden boots, with the pull strap on the back. I have to think they would catch the cuffs on trousers and even chinos? Are they attached in such a way they can be removed? Or is it not as big of an issue as I imagine it?

they would catch the cuffs on trousers and even chinos - YES

Are they attached in such a way they can be removed - NO

is it not as big of an issue as I imagine it? It bothers me and that's why I tend to avoid boots with pull tabs

Hope it helps.

Steve

Agree with Steve's observations except having pull tabs won't stop me from buying a pair that I like.
Then I just put up with the catching - which isn't always all bad when wearing casual (if you like the rumpled, work wear look).

I usually notice when the cuff is caught on the tab and can make shake it loose and move on without too much trouble.

Last edited:

turkey_sandwich

Reaction score

Question for the group if I may. Looking at some Alden boots, with the pull strap on the back. I have to think they would catch the cuffs on trousers and even chinos? Are they attached in such a way they can be removed? Or is it not as big of an issue as I imagine it?

I've got one pair of PCT boots with the pull tab and have honestly not found it to be much of an issue at all with chinos or jeans. Maybe it depends on where you typically hem your pants and/or the weight of the material?

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cigar grant captoe boots on commando. Had a cooler day in Va this week, so took the Opp to wear some boots

Hope everyone has a good Holiday weekend

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AE makes and sells in much greater volumes than Alden (and it sounds like they were in fact making use of the less desirable and less expensive cuts from the calfskin hide) so their margins allow for this kind of generous CS. Not really comparable, IMO. Alden shouldn't be expected to completely replace an expensive shell shoe in an instance like this. I'm happy both companies took care of you though! I love chukka boots, so enjoy yours!

I don't agree with that at all. However, you're exactly the kind of customer I'd love to sell to were I Alden. In reality, that shell shouldn't have been made into a shoe. After it was made into a shoe, it should have been QC'd as a second. After QC missed it, putting more purple paint on it wasn't the correct solution. It's up to the retailer, Alden, and the purchaser to figure out how they want to handle it. I don't think the poster is being unreasonable in the least.

I was at Alden of SF looking at a pair of Ravellos once. There was a dime sized spot right on the toe where the tanning didn't take (so it had no pigment). When I pointed out the flaw the salesman told me "so don't buy them, the next guy who tries them on will". Sadly, it seems he was correct and as long as people accept that level of quality and CS, there's no reason for Alden to do better.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pull straps are an issue for me because i wear tapered trousers. they catch, they bug. they may not be a problem if you wear "regular" pants.
i've cut straps off some boots before.
Whiskey Chukka Boot.
amazing shell and combo dubs.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got my color 8 LWBs finally!! Sadly, it turns out my Barrie size isn't 10.5 E after all. Too tight/cramped. Don't understand, as I seemed to have been sized correctly at Alden Madison. So, now I've got to figure out if 11E is the way to go, or 10.5 3E.

Makes me a little nervous about a preorder that I got in on...

Probably too much hassle to try to return these beauties to the UK. Maybe I'll try to sell. At cost.

Pepper,

I would not recommend sizing up to 3E Barrie, unless it was 10eee.

Barrie in 10.5ee should be a great fit.

Remember that there are quite a few variations across the different styles in the same last. I have shoes that make me wonder if they have indeed been made on the same last, even though they say so.

You should try Barrie:

1. 10.5EE
2. 10EEE

Aethseticly, the double e will look a little better than the 3e.

Thanks.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of shell cordovan #8 chukkas (1339) at full retail at their local authorized. I found them very comfortable and really like the look of them. After wearing them around for a whole day, I noticed that there was a rough spot on one shoe. I have enclosed a photo of it and the comparable smooth part of the other shoe. I sent the following photos to Alden in an email and they told me to bring them to the store, which would then take care of them.
I took them back into the store. The store then sent them to Alden. Alden returned them to me promptly "refinished and retouched," which really didn't change the rough spot much at all...I don't have a new photo, because it would be hard to capture the difference, if any. The retouch and refinish did look nice, though.

Jon, you have every right to feel disappointed. i would be disappointed if i had paid full retail for #8 chukkas with that blemish. the problem in your case is that you wore them before noticing the finishing flaw. that being said, alden should have taken care of you. that is poor qc, they know it, and should have replaced them. i think comparing your alden experience to your allen edmonds experience is fair. allen edmonds takes care of their customers even if they have to take some kind of loss by replacing worn shoes.

alden handles flaws on unworn shoes in a very professional manner.

earlier this year i purchased black alden shell plain toe boots with brass eyelets from a nyc retailer. i noticed this flaw before wearing them.

i sent them back to the retailer, they sent them back to alden. alden deemed them to be seconds and kept them.
the retailer has a "no refund policy", but they gave me a full refund. they also offered to keep my name on the list so i could have a pair when their next order arrives. i feel alden and the retailer took good care of me.

J One

Reaction score
Question for the ones who have Alden and AE about sizing, I currently wear last 11E on AE last 5 what will be a close equivalent on Alden's Grant last based on your experience?

Thanks in advance.

Whirling

Reaction score
Jon, you have every right to feel disappointed. i would be disappointed if i had paid full retail for #8 chukkas with that blemish. the problem in your case is that you wore them before noticing the finishing flaw. that being said, alden should have taken care of you. that is poor qc, they know it, and should have replaced them. i think comparing your alden experience to your allen edmonds experience is fair. allen edmonds takes care of their customers even if they have to take some kind of loss by replacing worn shoes.

alden handles flaws on unworn shoes in a very professional manner.

earlier this year i purchased black alden shell plain toe boots with brass eyelets from a nyc retailer. i noticed this flaw before wearing them.

i sent them back to the retailer, they sent them back to alden. alden deemed them to be seconds and kept them.
the retailer has a "no refund policy", but they gave me a full refund. they also offered to keep my name on the list so i could have a pair when their next order arrives. i feel alden and the retailer took good care of me.

Thank you to Mr DV and the other people who have commented on my experience.

Quality of service, like quality of shoes, has many gradations, obviously. I don't think how Alden treated me was wrong, but it was not quite up to the level of AE. Whether there are justifications for this, or not, is a subject for debate. I also understand that most shoe companies, at any price point, act far more like Alden than AE. From the Alden perspective, though, AE is one of their main competitors. This issue, as I had said, would not bar me from buying more Aldens--I really like the shoes--perhaps, on average, better than AEs, but it would weigh into any decision between the two.

Again, as I said initially, I do feel it was on me that I wore them before fully inspecting them. It is also the case that one would be a bit upset at a supermarket that left out post-dated goods and wouldn't take them back because you only noticed it after you opened the package. At $700 for a luxury product whose value is heavily in its appearance, you can have a person at the factory thoroughly inspect shoes for a couple minutes and declare these seconds.

I debated asking very explicitly and "insisting" on a new pair, as I was suspicious that any other option would not change much. However, I felt that would have been unfair of me, so I didn't. I try hard not to take advantage of anybody or any company with whom I do business. I won't try on shoes or evaluate any products in person and then buy them online, as I feel that is unethical unless one informs the store in advance that that is one's intention and they say, "Okay, we are happy to help you because we would rather see you in our store and have a chance to win your business, rather than not see you at all." I realize that's not how many people feel, though.

Regards,
Jon

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question for the ones who have Alden and AE about sizing, I currently wear last 11E on AE last 5 what will be a close equivalent on Alden's Grant last based on your experience?

Thanks in advance.

I'm 11D on AE 5 last, and Alden's Grant last was a bit too narrow for me in the toe box...I may have been able to make it work and hope they break in but didn't want to risk it with a shell purchase.

dcinitial

Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

I am a borderline 11 E on the 5 last and tried on both the 11D and 11 E on the Grant last, the 11 D was too tight across the width and went up to an 11 E. Hope that helps a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads