• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

breck81

Reaction score

I called Alden of DC on a whim yesterday and asked if they had any long wings in cigar size 10 1/2 D. To my surprise they did, and here they are on my feet today. This is a very deep dark version of a cigar shell Cordovan and I am not upset with that in anyway. The color is very rich and even. I also like the way the creases are setting in over each vamp

Alden of DC is the best. Once again timing and a little luck prevail in the Alden rare shell game. Great pick up!

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All right gents your help is greatly appreciated. I bought my first Alden LWB color 8 it came in today. It has few minor things that I noticed. My question is would you guys recommend to return it or keep it. Meaning I don't want it to give me problem in future. You can see it on close up pic. That I have attached. Once again your input is greatly appreciated.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All right gents your help is greatly appreciated. I bought my first Alden LWB color 8 it came in today. It has few minor things that I noticed. My question is would you guys recommend to return it or keep it. Meaning I don't want it to give me problem in future. You can see it on close up pic. That I have attached. Once again your input is greatly appreciated.

Deer bone the leather flaw and forget about the sole edge flaw - it will be covered when you use sole dressing for the first time. I'm picky, and I wouldn't return for that those reason. Also, was the right shoe a display model? It's highly creased, which would bother me, assuming you didn't do it.

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When your trip gets extended by 2 days you gotta suck it up, wear your trousers over again and buy new shoes....

In here at TSM and these 986 are just smiling at me.

Nice pic BenLeaman. I've got to get a pair. BTW, nice call on the 4 Roses SB. Was finally able to snag a bottle and enjoying a hit as I make this post. Like a coveted Alden preorder, definitely worth the wait.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Deer bone the leather flaw and forget about the sole edge flaw - it will be covered when you use sole dressing for the first time. I'm picky, and I wouldn't return for that those reason. Also, was the right shoe a display model? It's highly creased, which would bother me, assuming you didn't do it.

I bought them from jcrew & paid full price with tax of 750$. That is why I asked if i should keep them or return them. They came in today and crease not done by me. I am assuming ppl have tried it on at store.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought them from jcrew & paid full price with tax of 750$. That is why I asked if i should keep them or return them. They came in today and crease not done by me. I am assuming ppl have tried it on at store.

There's essentially zero chance your replacement shoe won't have some tiny issue (one of your picture is a rough join at the reverse welt - they all look like that), and another was the sole dressing (a non-issue, which occurs frequently). If you return and purchase from a proper seller (J Crew is not really in the business of selling high quality footwear), they shouldn't come creased. They may, or may not, have some leather flaws or minor scratches. If the creases bother you (they'd bother me), send them back. This assumes you're not an oddball size, but it's not as if J Crew stocks odd sizes, so it's a non-issue.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's essentially zero chance your replacement shoe won't have some tiny issue (one of your picture is a rough join at the reverse welt - they all look like that), and another was the sole dressing (a non-issue, which occurs frequently). If you return and purchase from a proper seller (J Crew is not really in the business of selling high quality footwear), they shouldn't come creased. They may, or may not, have some leather flaws or minor scratches. If the creases bother you (they'd bother me), send them back. This assumes you're not an oddball size, but it's not as if J Crew stocks odd sizes, so it's a non-issue.

I originally went with size 9.5 too big got 9 fits perfect but then crease and flaw. Only reason I went to jcrew because had 200$ worth of money on gift card & paid 555$ out of pocket. Lesson learned should of gone to normal Alden store. Thank you for your help and input.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I originally went with size 9.5 too big got 9 fits perfect but then crease and flaw. Only reason I went to jcrew because had 200$ worth of money on gift card & paid 555$ out of pocket. Lesson learned should of gone to normal Alden store. Thank you for your help and input.

Sorry it didn't work out, it's frustrating.

I wear an oddball size and was forced to choose between probably never getting a particular shoe in my size, or accepting something very far from perfect. I kept them because fit trumps all, but it sucked.

Last edited:

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry it didn't work out, it's frustrating.

I wear an oddball size and was forced to choose between probably never getting a particular shoe in my size, or accepting something very far from perfect. I kept them because fit trumps all, but it sucked.

I feel you on that one this was my first she'll cordoven Alden shoe that why it sucks but I guess it's life. If I decide to keep it I will deer bone it and shoe tree. Just got done also giving them 10 min each brushing.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

You have an amazing collection of shoes Mike and these are unquestionably my favorite. The ultimate in cool casual versatility. Nicely done.

Thank you very much Shawn! These are one of the most spectacular Whiskey Shades that I have seen along with the PTBs I sold to Watchman1.

pull straps are an issue for me because i wear tapered trousers. they catch, they bug. they may not be a problem if you wear "regular" pants.
i've cut straps off some boots before.
amazing shell and combo dubs. 

Thanks DV!

When your trip gets extended by 2 days you gotta suck it up, wear your trousers over again and buy new shoes....

In here at TSM and these 986 are just smiling at me.

Did they make it into the bag? TSM is a great place to visit.

Speaking of dark color 8 and eBay transactions, I picked these up in another flawless transaction (as most of mine are).

This is one of the 3 style that Alden of Madison carries that I really like, and surprisingly have never seen posted on SF. They also have an NST/loafer on Aberdeen and a Fullstrap loafer on Grant. I've been thinking about the monk strap for a while but didn't know how I would feel about the brass on shoes after having them for a while. When I saw them on the bay at a great price I almost couldn't believe it. Fortunately they were buy-it-now with an offer option so I didn't have to get in a bidding war. There is virtually no wear on the soles and other than some wrinkling, these shoes are immaculate. Very pleased.

Madison did a good job on those. Only thing I would do is change the buckle to silver myself. But any cobbler can do that.

I called Alden of DC on a whim yesterday and asked if they had any long wings in cigar size 10 1/2 D. To my surprise they did, and here they are on my feet today. This is a very deep dark version of a cigar shell Cordovan and I am not upset with that in anyway. The color is very rich and even. I also like the way the creases are setting in over each vamp

Kathy is awesome and it never hurts to ask. Sometimes you get surprised!

Ravello PTB. Leydon last from LS.

Spectacular PTBs! Those are killer.

I concur 100% with this.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads