• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what store carried these fantastic Ravello Chukkas that were posted early May? I really like the brown welt/antique edge and would love to get my hands on a pair. Have PM'd the original poster (no luck) and emailed [email protected] but they didn't know. I assume they were bought in Asia. Maybe someone recognizes the print on the insole?

Thanks,
Tommy

The insole looks like it might say "Bookmaker Edition" but that's just my best guess. If I recall correctly, the Alden shop did a ravello chukka, too.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score

I used Saphir Graise on my brown CXL indys and it darkened them significantly.

Saphir Dubbin Graise will darken CXL upon initial application, as will nearly all other products. After about 30-40 minutes (once absorbed) the color of the leather returns to its initial state.

I use this stuff extensively on many things, including Shell Cordovan.

Natural CXL Cow, Natural CXL Horse, Natural Cordovan - I've applied it to them all with the same effect.

Last edited:

RobinM

Reaction score

That was me. Color #2 shell is what Carmina calls Ruby. They are the same, according to Nick.

I'm not sure what Alden did to the #2 shells they got from Horween to remove their shine and give them the matte finish. The color obviously looks different on Alden's Color #2 20/20 LWB, so they must have done something to the shells beyond just stripping off the shiny finish. That said, Alden is known for doing just that - heavily dyeing or otherwise modifying the shells they receive from Horween.

By contrast, Carmina does practically nothing to their shells (again, according to Nick - he told me that Carmina modifies their shells the least of any of the shoemakers that do a lot of work with Horween shell).

Matte finisher?

I

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ I suspect they just treat the shell less (I.e. Less polishing, no buffing)

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

^ I suspect they just treat the shell less (I.e. Less polishing, no buffing)

I have removed the coating from a number of pair of Alden shells. They are at first somewhat matte .Over time brushing and buffing the shine returns

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone know what store carried these fantastic Ravello Chukkas that were posted early May? I really like the brown welt/antique edge and would love to get my hands on a pair. Have PM'd the original poster (no luck) and emailed [email protected] but they didn't know. I assume they were bought in Asia. Maybe someone recognizes the print on the insole?
Thanks,
Tommy

The insole looks like it might say "Bookmaker Edition" but that's just my best guess. If I recall correctly, the Alden shop did a ravello chukka, too.  

i also think they may be by the shoe mart. I think I see bootmaker edition as well.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have removed the coating from a number of pair of Alden shells. They are at first somewhat matte .Over time brushing and buffing the shine returns

The real question is, is there any product with acrylic that we can put on to make then even shinier or restore the shine? I'm pretty sure the Alden acrylic is mixed in with the dye they use.

thomasshawn

Reaction score
So, I pulled the trigger on the Leffot navy CXL LHS preorder. Any idea how long those usually take? If it was shell, I'm sure the answer would be "how long have you got," but I would think it'd be a shorter time horizon with CXL. Am I all wet with that?

Also (since I have some time to think about it), what do you guys use for a belt with navy CXL? Is there a reputable purveyor of navy CXL belts, some other leather, some other material altogether?

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I pulled the trigger on the Leffot navy CXL LHS preorder. Any idea how long those usually take? If it was shell, I'm sure the answer would be "how long have you got," but I would think it'd be a shorter time horizon with CXL. Am I all wet with that?

Also (since I have some time to think about it), what do you guys use for a belt with navy CXL? Is there a reputable purveyor of navy CXL belts, some other leather, some other material altogether?

Epaulet offers a navy CXL belt. I have not owned one but I'm sure someone here could offer their opinion.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score

The real question is, is there any product with acrylic that we can put on to make then even shinier or restore the shine? I'm pretty sure the Alden acrylic is mixed in with the dye they use. 

If you are interested in this topic, I suggest you look at the posts by mtc2000, starting around post 76815

This guys did a lot of testing on stripping shell and then finishing with Angelus.

FWIW, even Natural shell shipped direct from Horween comes with a finish on it.

Regards,
BN

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ Nice!

Question... will Venetian shoe cream darken natty CXL? If so, is there a more preferred cream for natty CXL?

I have used nothing but a damp cloth and brushing up to last night.  I just hit them with some Lexol conditioner and it did not darken at all...

Nothing is best on Natural CXL - to me, the whole point of it is to look lived in.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Doesn't Leffot tell you the expected arrival?

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Akeem Isn't that Alden 379x last ridiculously comfortable?

I couldn't believe it...I didn't think it could get any more comfy than Barrie...until I tried that the 379x...ha, ha...

I guess that only drawback is the shape...but even that is ok...

What say you???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads