• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

PSA - shoemart have a pair of Whiskey ptbs in 12E in store. Defect seems to be a mark on the tongue (easily covered by laces imo)

Looked like minor creasing from being tried on, but nothing to fret over

Sadly, nothing in stock (seconds or firsts) that caught my eye. Shame I left without spending any money 

We 12d's emphatize with you. Not much gets made in a 12

Last edited:

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Alden people. I'm getting ready to take the plunge and buy my first pair. I'm still deciding between the plain toe and the longwing (Barrie last). Here's my dilemma, I really want a dark brown (as opposed to the very popular color # 8). It seems getting cigar shell is really difficult these days. Is there some place I can get it now? If not, I guess I'll have to get calf. The question then becomes, do I get the standard dark brown version (like the ones from Shoe Mart), with the lighter color welt and sole, or do I get the dark brown Alden for J Crew, with the dark welt and sole. It seems that the Shoe Mart brown is also a bit lighter than the J Crew brown, but it's hard to tell because on the Shoe Mart site, there are a few pics and some are lighter and some are darker. Top pic is shoe mart, 2nd one (small) is J Crew.

2R_97644.jpg

or
18580_BR6011

One more question: Does anyone sell this shoe with exposed eyelets, like this:

alden-lwb7.jpg

Thanks in advance - all guidance is appreciated!!

Edit: I'm also open to any other suggestions for a dark brown, either shell or calf. Perhaps there are make-ups that I'm not aware of yet. Thanks!

Last edited:

TommyB

Reaction score
The insole looks like it might say "Bookmaker Edition" but that's just my best guess. If I recall correctly, the Alden shop did a ravello chukka, too.

i also think they may be by the shoe mart. I think I see bootmaker edition as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. For some reason I thought they were from Asia, since the person who posted them seems to be from Asia. I'll talk to Ed at ShoeMart and see what he has to say about it.

@KPDarb , do you mean Alden San Francisco? The last ravello chukka I saw from them (a year and a half ago, maybe?) had a black welt/edge, and I really like the lesser contrast of the antique.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Alden people.  I'm getting ready to take the plunge and buy my first pair.  I'm still deciding between the plain toe and the longwing (Barrie last).  Here's my dilemma, I really want a dark brown (as opposed to the very popular color # 8).  It seems getting cigar shell is really difficult these days.  Is there some place I can get it now?  If not, I guess I'll have to get calf.  The question then becomes, do I get the standard dark brown version (like the ones from Shoe Mart), with the lighter color welt and sole, or do I get the dark brown Alden for J Crew, with the dark welt and sole.  It seems that the Shoe Mart brown is also a bit lighter than the J Crew brown, but it's hard to tell because on the Shoe Mart site, there are a few pics and some are lighter and some are darker.  T

Thanks in advance - all guidance is appreciated!!

Edit:  I'm also open to any other suggestions for a dark brown, either shell or calf.  Perhaps there are make-ups that I'm not aware of yet.  Thanks!

If a short wing is acceptable, look at the Marlow model from C&J for Ralph Lauren. That is going to be a cigar-esque color, metal eyelets. Gorgeous, versatile, classic shoe. It's on the 325 last which is similar to the Barrie, definitely not exactly the same (I have the Pembroke, which is a country grain version of the Marlow). It's more expensive but Polo's semi annual sale should be happening soon.

If you really really want Alden/cigar, Alden DC or Carmel is probably the best bet for longwing lists. Expect that wait to be north of a year on average.

Last edited:

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If a short wing is acceptable, look at the Marlow model from C&J for Ralph Lauren. That is going to be a cigar-esque color, metal eyelets. Gorgeous, versatile, classic shoe. It's on the 325 last which is similar to the Barrie, definitely not exactly the same (I have the Pembroke, which is a country grain version of the Marlow). It's more expensive but Polo's semi annual sale should be happening soon.

If you really really want Alden/cigar, Alden DC or Carmel is probably the best bet for longwing lists. Expect that wait to be north of a year on average.

Thanks! I definitely want a longwing. But it doesn't have to be shell. So from all the different medium to dark calf longwings from alden (or any other makers of similar caliber), which make-ups are nicest, best, etc? Thanks again in advance!!

JR Magat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite Alden boot. King Wingtips
Looking good! The Alden WTB is on my 'wishlist' but I have too many #8 options as is... Are there any stores that have a waiting list for cigar, ravello or whiskey WTBs on Barrie last? (wishful thinking i'm sure...)

Last edited:

katch

Reaction score

Looking good!  The Alden WTB is on my 'wishlist' but I have too many #8 options as is... Are there any stores that have a waiting list for cigar, ravello or whiskey WTBs on Barrie last? (wishful thinking i'm sure...)

Thanks. I have the RLxCJ Lindrick and love them as my "cigar" pair. I can't have too much #8. King for a reason..

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple of questions on the suede LHS:

1) Is there a consensus that the snuff suede looks better/is more versatile than the dark brown suede?

2) In some pics it seems the LHS vamp is too short to me. As a point of reference, C&J's Harvard/Sydney come up farther on the foot. I plan on wearing the shoe casually with and without socks and love the classic look of the LHS but this has held me back from buying. I don't have an Alden dealer close by that stocks the model or I'd see for myself.

AnOxymoron

Reaction score
Are leather soles in the rain really an issue if you're rotating your shoes and giving them adequate time to dry before wearing again?

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are leather soles in the rain really an issue if you're rotating your shoes and giving them adequate time to dry before wearing again?

I haven't found it to be an issue. That said, I do reach for Dainite or topy/tap soled shoes/boots when it's rainy.

But - I have been less than impressed with Dainite's grip in slippery conditions. I'm slowly shying away from it more and more in favor of a leather sole with a topy.

I wouldn't necessarily wear leather soled shoes if it's pouring rain and they'll be thoroughly soaked, but if it's lightly raining or the ground is a bit wet, I won't shy away from leather, especially JR or oiled leather soles.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple of questions on the suede LHS:

1) Is there a consensus that the snuff suede looks better/is more versatile than the dark brown suede?

2) In some pics it seems the LHS vamp is too short to me. As a point of reference, C&J's Harvard/Sydney come up farther on the foot. I plan on wearing the shoe casually with and without socks and love the classic look of the LHS but this has held me back from buying. I don't have an Alden dealer close by that stocks the model or I'd see for myself.
Personally I would opt for snuff over dark brown for strictly casual wear. If you can find the unlined snuff LHS it is like wearing slippers and a great casual shoe

RevisIsland

Reaction score
PSA at TSM:

Looks like they received a return on the Whiskey LHS on Van last in 10.5D
Also looks like a Ravello NST on Aberdeen in 10.5D is in stock as well

This is based on what is showing as available on website. Worth a call if you are in the market for either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members