• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot Dog Day #49

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to share my experience with Alden Restoration.

A few years ago I purchased a pair of Alden Cigar Shell LWB. I went to a local Alden retailer, got sized for the Barrie last and purchased the shoes when I was able to find a pair in my size. I wore the shoes happily for a few years, they fit perfectly and were the most comfortable pair of shoes I'd ever had. Kept great care of them, treeing and brushing after each wear. After some time though, the soles wore through, and I decided that it was time for a restore.

About 8 months ago, I contacted Alden requesting a restore, they promptly sent a bag with prepaid shipping to send my shoes in. This was the first turn off to this process - placing $800 shoes in a bag with no real protection was their recommendation. They quoted me 4-6 weeks turn around for the restore, which I thought was reasonable - the cost I paid was $159.

8 weeks had gone by and I had actually almost completely forgotten about the shoes. I received a postcard in the mail that they should be complete within the next 4 weeks or so. At this point I was a bit annoyed, because this was well outside the time I was quoted, but I waited. The shoes finally showed up after 12 weeks.

I was really impressed with the shoes when I saw how well they were restored, they really cleaned up the shell and the new soles were perfect. Including new bags and trees was a nice touch. However, upon first wear, the shoes seemed to fit larger than they did originally. Thinking that maybe the shoes just needed to be broken in again, I wore them every now and then, hoping that the issue would work itself out. Every time I'd wear them, my feet would be covered in blisters, and my socks would be dyed the color of the liner, due to all the rubbing. I resorted to wearing two pairs of socks, but this didn't really resolve the issue, the shoes were ultimately really painful to wear.

After about 10 wears, I came to the conclusion that the shoes must have been stretched in the Restoration process, and I decided to contact Alden. I sent an email explaining the post Restoration sizing concerns and included that they were so loose, the leather from the liner was wearing off onto my socks. I received a reply fairly quickly - The person apologized and instructed me to send my shoes back to Alden for inspection/repair.

I sent the shoes back, this time eating the shipping cost. After a week, I got a call from Alden that they'd received my shoes. They couldn't explain the issue with the liner bleeding into my socks, but the heel pods looked to have been set incorrectly so this would be investigated and repaired. I suggested that the bleeding could have to do with the shoes being loose, and he agreed, that was the only likely cause. He said that the shoes seem to be true to size, and that they shouldn't have been stretched when they were re-lasted. He said that they'd have the shoes out in the next week or so.

Last night I received my shoes in the mail, and they enclosed this letter: http://i.imgur.com/6du2xRy.jpg

Here are the shoes: http://i.imgur.com/6pFyZIP.jpg

When I inspected the shoes I discovered that they had detached the heel pad from the original insole of my shoes, attached it to a new leather insole, added a thin layer of foam, and stuffed it into my shoes without adhering it to anything - presumably to allow me to remove at any time as stated in the letter.

This is the inside without the insoles: http://i.imgur.com/vyJdCbQ.jpg

Nothing is glued in, and the original heel pads have been removed and attached to the makeshift insoles they included. If I decided not to use the insoles they included, I'd have to have the heel pads re-attached.

Needless to say, I don't feel that this is an adequate solution - the advertised 4-6 week turn around became 12 weeks and ultimately I was shipped back shoes that no longer fit. Upon voicing my complaint, further damage was done to my shoes. I'm confident that in that time my feet haven't shrunk, so I have no other way to explain the sizing issues outside of them being stretched during the Restoration process. I will be contacting Alden with the intention of resolving this, but I just wanted to share my experience . I've heard of other less than stellar experiences with Alden Restoration, and I'm understanding this now.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They replace the liner when doing a sole replacement? Is that a special Alden thing..I have only had soles replaced by Allen Edmonds and B Nelson and in both cases nothing inside the shoe was touched.

I have worn shoes to big and small in the past and maybe get one blister for but never multiples...very odd. Do you have another Alden pair on the original last as this shoe? From what I gather Shell does not stretch that much from what I have gathered..maybe to avoid a potential rip int he shell they did not pull it as tight...

Curious as to how the shoe fits with the removable insert in it?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Seems like none of the Alden stores put their rare shells online so as mdubs said you probably need to get in touch with the different stores. From my experience, calling is the best way. TSM sometimes put rare shells on their website, but not always. Reading this thread on a daily basis might also help. Good luck!

I called Alden SF, DC, and TSM. Was able to get on the list for TSM.

Very cool about FSM. They are good guys. In my experience Alden SF can be a little evasive with their rare lists until they know you. Did you talk to Kathy at DC? BTW, calling is second best to gong to the store, but is cheaper and much quicker....

Hot Dog Day #49

Reaction score

They replace the liner when doing a sole replacement? Is that a special Alden thing..I have only had soles replaced by Allen Edmonds and B Nelson and in both cases nothing inside the shoe was touched.

I have worn shoes to big and small in the past and maybe get one blister for but never multiples...very odd. Do you have another Alden pair on the original last as this shoe? From what I gather Shell does not stretch that much from what I have gathered..maybe to avoid a potential rip int he shell they did not pull it as tight...

Curious as to how the shoe fits with the removable insert in it?

They don't replace the liner in the restore, just the heel pod. This is my only Barrie pair currently, but all my other AE/Alden/etc still fit the same, it's just this pair. Before the restore I could wear these sockless (not something I do often) and they were perfectly comfortable. With socks, if anything they were a little on the tight side. If I attempt to wear them sockless now, the shoes feel at least a half size large.

They mentioned pulling the shell when they were relasted, but that it shouldn't have stretched much, though I suspect that's what did it.

With the insert they fit a bit tighter, but since the heel is raised due to the padding, they slip just as much as they did before. The heel seems to be the biggest part of the sizing issue, so Alden raising the heel with the insert doesn't make sense.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't replace the liner in the restore, just the heel pod. This is my only Barrie pair currently, but all my other AE/Alden/etc still fit the same, it's just this pair. Before the restore I could wear these sockless (not something I do often) and they were perfectly comfortable. With socks, if anything they were a little on the tight side. If I attempt to wear them sockless now, the shoes feel at least a half size large.

They mentioned pulling the shell when they were relasted, but that it shouldn't have stretched much, though I suspect that's what did it.

With the insert they fit a bit tighter, but since the heel is raised due to the padding, they slip just as much as they did before. The heel seems to be the biggest part of the sizing issue, so Alden raising the heel with the insert doesn't make sense.
I would be pissed. I hope they send you a new pair. Not sure how realistic or likely that is.

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Olive pants + choco suede tanker!

great look. details on the trousers?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Dearest Stevefok,
Kindly refrain from showcasing your own olives while taking photos of pants of the same name. Splendid tankers.
Regards,
The Alden Community

Here comes the crotch police! haha.

Thank goodness you weren't in the Epaulet thread the other day...

stevefok

Reaction score
Fantastic combination.

+1. Great color combo and look!

[/Spoiler]

These boots are awesome both you and at @rydenfan have worn them well in the past few days. Someone mentioned having LS add them to a wait list. I may shoot them an email.

Thanks Gents!

great look. details on the trousers?

Handcuffed, it's a chino from levi's. Seems they are no longer selling this color but you may wanna look at the other colors, the link is down below.

http://us.levi.com/product/index.js...hino&origkw=chino&sr=1&fbn=35406596|null|null

Cheers,

Steve

Last edited:

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just popped in my office from citishoes King NST

:) I can say with certainty I'm finished ;)

Outstanding.. I may have to grab these as waiting for another run with an antique edge will probably be forever.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, just wanted to share my experience with Alden Restoration.

A few years ago I purchased a pair of Alden Cigar Shell LWB. I went to a local Alden retailer, got sized for the Barrie last and purchased the shoes when I was able to find a pair in my size. I wore the shoes happily for a few years, they fit perfectly and were the most comfortable pair of shoes I'd ever had. Kept great care of them, treeing and brushing after each wear. After some time though, the soles wore through, and I decided that it was time for a restore.

About 8 months ago, I contacted Alden requesting a restore, they promptly sent a bag with prepaid shipping to send my shoes in. This was the first turn off to this process - placing $800 shoes in a bag with no real protection was their recommendation. They quoted me 4-6 weeks turn around for the restore, which I thought was reasonable - the cost I paid was $159.

8 weeks had gone by and I had actually almost completely forgotten about the shoes. I received a postcard in the mail that they should be complete within the next 4 weeks or so. At this point I was a bit annoyed, because this was well outside the time I was quoted, but I waited. The shoes finally showed up after 12 weeks.

I was really impressed with the shoes when I saw how well they were restored, they really cleaned up the shell and the new soles were perfect. Including new bags and trees was a nice touch. However, upon first wear, the shoes seemed to fit larger than they did originally. Thinking that maybe the shoes just needed to be broken in again, I wore them every now and then, hoping that the issue would work itself out. Every time I'd wear them, my feet would be covered in blisters, and my socks would be dyed the color of the liner, due to all the rubbing. I resorted to wearing two pairs of socks, but this didn't really resolve the issue, the shoes were ultimately really painful to wear.

After about 10 wears, I came to the conclusion that the shoes must have been stretched in the Restoration process, and I decided to contact Alden. I sent an email explaining the post Restoration sizing concerns and included that they were so loose, the leather from the liner was wearing off onto my socks. I received a reply fairly quickly - The person apologized and instructed me to send my shoes back to Alden for inspection/repair.

I sent the shoes back, this time eating the shipping cost. After a week, I got a call from Alden that they'd received my shoes. They couldn't explain the issue with the liner bleeding into my socks, but the heel pods looked to have been set incorrectly so this would be investigated and repaired. I suggested that the bleeding could have to do with the shoes being loose, and he agreed, that was the only likely cause. He said that the shoes seem to be true to size, and that they shouldn't have been stretched when they were re-lasted. He said that they'd have the shoes out in the next week or so.

Last night I received my shoes in the mail, and they enclosed this letter: http://i.imgur.com/6du2xRy.jpg

Here are the shoes: http://i.imgur.com/6pFyZIP.jpg

When I inspected the shoes I discovered that they had detached the heel pad from the original insole of my shoes, attached it to a new leather insole, added a thin layer of foam, and stuffed it into my shoes without adhering it to anything - presumably to allow me to remove at any time as stated in the letter.

This is the inside without the insoles: http://i.imgur.com/vyJdCbQ.jpg

Nothing is glued in, and the original heel pads have been removed and attached to the makeshift insoles they included. If I decided not to use the insoles they included, I'd have to have the heel pads re-attached.

Needless to say, I don't feel that this is an adequate solution - the advertised 4-6 week turn around became 12 weeks and ultimately I was shipped back shoes that no longer fit. Upon voicing my complaint, further damage was done to my shoes. I'm confident that in that time my feet haven't shrunk, so I have no other way to explain the sizing issues outside of them being stretched during the Restoration process. I will be contacting Alden with the intention of resolving this, but I just wanted to share my experience . I've heard of other less than stellar experiences with Alden Restoration, and I'm understanding this now.

I hope this is resolved to your satisfaction. If it were AE, you'd probably get a new pair of shoes.

So they called you, said they'd investigate, and then they didn't call you back with their recommendation, and instead just did what they thought would fix the issue and shipped the shoes back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads