• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatszu

Reaction score
Where are you guys getting the exotic shells? I am not able to find them anywhere. I've checked Alden SF, DC, TSM. Thanks!

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

What do you think about the Shell logo on the bottom of the shoe?  That can't be a shell shoe can it?

What's the explanation for the Horween Shell stamp on the soles?

I would guess that to be an error. I have only seen them on the Barrie last and once on the Leydon.

So I am browsing the bay and see these LWB...seller says Trubalance last?  Whats more interesting, look at the bottom of this shoe?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alden-Brown-Longwing-Blucher-size-9-0-worn-2-times-/271628239203?

They are the 97644, which can be read off the shoes in the 4th picture. After a quick search on TheShoeMart, they are Dark Brown Calfskin, which jives well with the fine wrinkle type creases that are forming on the vamp of the shoes. They are definitely made around the Barrie last.

Alden uses the same JR soles on their calf models as they do on their Shell models. The fact that it has the Horween "Stamp" was just an oversight. They are definitely not made of Shell Cordovan.

Reference:
http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens-long-wing-dark-brown/pvc-ald-mxsdlw-97644_ald_m_long_wing.html

Have a great night guys.

-Mike

Last edited:

stevefok

Reaction score
Olive pants + choco suede tanker!

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

So if you were to pick up one pair of Shell LWB which would be preferred:  Whiskey, Cigar, or Ravello..  Wife has said if I purchase a pair, I am done for a while, so want to make a educated choice.

I'm not sure what you mean by "one pair of shell LWB" HAHA. I know it isn't listed, but color8 would be the most versatile if I could only have one.
Back you your options...out of those I think I would go Ravello. The cigar shade isn't too reliable and if I got a dark, almost black pair I would not be happy. Ravello varies as well, but it is still a nice shade either way.

Whiskey is beautiful and my favorite LWB. It was my first shell LWB, but it couldn't be my one and only pair. So I got color8 as well.

Johnniegold

Reaction score

Where are you guys getting the exotic shells? I am not able to find them anywhere. I've checked Alden SF, DC, TSM. Thanks!

PM what you are looking for. But all those shops and others have been getting stuff in. You need to get onto their lists or get very lucky.

-Mike

I sent Alden SF an email in May of 2013 looking for Ravello chukkas and received an email in October of 2014 that they had a pair which I then purchased. Like Mike stated above, persistence, a little luck and patience will get you there. Good luck.

Last edited:

TommyB

Reaction score

Seems like none of the Alden stores put their rare shells online so as mdubs said you probably need to get in touch with the different stores. From my experience, calling is the best way. TSM sometimes put rare shells on their website, but not always. Reading this thread on a daily basis might also help. Good luck!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Seems like none of the Alden stores put their rare shells online so as mdubs said you probably need to get in touch with the different stores. From my experience, calling is the best way. TSM sometimes put rare shells on their website, but not always. Reading this thread on a daily basis might also help. Good luck!

Alden stores are not allowed to advertise their exotic shells any longer.

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jeez you called all those places and couldnt even be put on a list?
Most stores don't actually carry stock but should at least add you to a list for future inbound shipments.

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Olive pants + choco suede tanker!

These boots are awesome both you and at @rydenfan have worn them well in the past few days. Someone mentioned having LS add them to a wait list. I may shoot them an email.

aldenwear

Reaction score

Uncle has the NST MONK in whiskey... very sharp! @mcarthur

Actually, I think Mac has it in ravello- a Leather Soul make-up. Whichever one it is, it does look great. Alden Madison makes an NST loafer on color 8 and black cordovan that approximates the nst monk for a currently available glimpse of the possibilotoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads