• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

totalair1

Reaction score
I too have this shoe from Alden NYC and it is on the grant last. But, as See Ya Steve noted, his source was different and, presumably, his source knows of what it speaks.
I have researched this and indeed these are on the Grant last!

See Ya,
Steve

aldenwear

Reaction score

I have researched this and indeed these are on the Grant last!

See Ya,
Steve

NST loafer on grant last is a bitchin' style!

I have them in cigar and color 8. Thus morning I received a call from Alden NYC and will have them in black soon too.

Last edited:

totalair1

Reaction score
NST loafer on grant last is a bitchin' style!

I have them in cigar and color 8. Thus morning I received a call from Alden NYC and will have them in black soon too.
I have them in cigar and black and I love them!

I got confused on lasts...it's my NST lace up shoe in Cigar and Whiskey I have on Aberdeen from Alden SF, and TSM in Ravello. I also have NST in whiskey and #8 on Barrie.

See Ya,
Steve

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's just shoe trees, or anything else they definitely have in stock, I'd say do it.

But in my "transaction" for their "limited edition" aldens, they were a bunch of hot air that turned downright deceptive. After 10 months I was pulling my hair out, and had to get a refund for shoes that arrived (wrong size) many months after a "six weeks, confirmed" assurance. AFter I returned them , they told me they had sold the pair I had actually ordered. Refund was initially denied because I no longer had the original credit card (lost/reissued) citing something about it being against federal regulations. Also, would not refund by check....that is until I got my bank on the phone for a three-way (good times), Then they complied, but only after three more calls to make sure the check got in the mail.

Plus, they are almost never there, especially in the summer. Always a message machine, which greatly compounded the frustration.

This all started when they had a 20% off sale I learned about here. Many here knew their reputation and were reluctant to engage. I should have listened.
(Listing still says they anticipate them in March 2013.)

Right after that debacle, the tan suede leydon dovers popped up on the TSM seconds list. Got the shoes. Lesson learned.
Yikes man, good to know. I have never dealt with them. Debating ordering the Choco Indy's a few times but never pulled the trigger. Good thing I didnt. I always wondered how they had so many stock sizes in a couple of the shoes including all the widths. Apparently they dont actually "have" the stock.

Hot Dog Day #49

Reaction score
Over the winter I sent a pair of Cigar Cordovan Longwings back to Alden HQ for restoration, the soles needed replacing and the upper was a little worn. The process was painless and took about as long as I was quoted. These have always been my favorite and most comfortable shoes. Wearing them was on par with wearing a pair of sneakers.

I was really impressed when the shoes came back - they did a great job and the packaging and presentation made it feel like I was getting brand new shoes all over again. However, the shoes were immediately painful when I put them on just walking around my carpeted floor. I accredited this to the restoration and stuck it out thinking they would break in, but my heels are covered in blisters every time I wear them. I've worn them about 20 times now and they're by far the most uncomfortable shoes I've ever worn. Something must have changed due to the restoration, because the shoes feel a bit bigger and the ankles definitely slip around a bit. What's strange is that the color from the liner bleeds heavily into my socks and feet when I wear them, to the point that a colored sock comes out being leather colored, and I don't sweat much at all. This never happened before the restore either. I'm pretty unhappy about it considering they were my favorite shoes and the high cost of restoration.

Has anyone had this experience or have any idea if there is any recourse other than selling?

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you contact Alden directly? It sounds like a significant problem. Alden Restorations can cause problems. I have not always been thrilled by some aspects of their work, and there are plenty of skilled cobblers who can handle a higher quality resole. However, if you need a reconditioned upper, especially for cordovan, Alden is a solid choice.

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joining my buddy bkotsko and Team Natty CXL today.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Over the winter I sent a pair of Cigar Cordovan Longwings back to Alden HQ for restoration, the soles needed replacing and the upper was a little worn. The process was painless and took about as long as I was quoted. These have always been my favorite and most comfortable shoes. Wearing them was on par with wearing a pair of sneakers.

I was really impressed when the shoes came back - they did a great job and the packaging and presentation made it feel like I was getting brand new shoes all over again. However, the shoes were immediately painful when I put them on just walking around my carpeted floor. I accredited this to the restoration and stuck it out thinking they would break in, but my heels are covered in blisters every time I wear them. I've worn them about 20 times now and they're by far the most uncomfortable shoes I've ever worn. Something must have changed due to the restoration, because the shoes feel a bit bigger and the ankles definitely slip around a bit. What's strange is that the color from the liner bleeds heavily into my socks and feet when I wear them, to the point that a colored sock comes out being leather colored, and I don't sweat much at all. This never happened before the restore either. I'm pretty unhappy about it considering they were my favorite shoes and the high cost of restoration.

Has anyone had this experience or have any idea if there is any recourse other than selling?

I am sorry to hear this. What an awful story. Certainly contact Alden.

Years ago I had this happen with an AE recraft (shoes came back way too tight). They gave me a new pair.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was actually referring to my own snuff PTB from BB. I was under the impression that it is fully lined, but I never bothered looking inside the toe-box area. Thanks for clarifying this ReppTie.

Update: I am working from home today so I went ahead and checked mine. The toe area on mine is structured and reinforced with some kind of fabric. The heel area is lined with a cream-colored leather and the rest of the shoe..., I really can't figure out. There's a layer of a smooth light brown leather on the inside of the uppers. For the reference, my unlined suede AE's have the rough suede-like texture on both the inside and outside, so I am confused.

We must have a different make-up then. I was hoping to get the structured, lined version you have. thanks and take care...

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear this. What an awful story. Certainly contact Alden.

Years ago I had this happen with an AE recraft (shoes came back way too tight). They gave me a new pair.
Just to calibrate expectations for @Hot Dog Day #49 , I would be very surprised if Alden offered up a new pair to replace the poorly recrafted ones. Customer service is an area where I think AE is vastly superior to Alden.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wearing my Cigar NST loafer on Aberdeen model 1031. Circa 2012 I think. One of the rarer models of cigar I been able to catch. See Ya, Steve
nephew, looking good in your full strap

Hot Dog Day #49

Reaction score

Why don't you contact Alden directly? It sounds like a significant problem. Alden Restorations can cause problems. I have not always been thrilled by some aspects of their work, and there are plenty of skilled cobblers who can handle a higher quality resole. However, if you need a reconditioned upper, especially for cordovan, Alden is a solid choice.

I have, but haven't heard back yet. It seems like they just stretched the shoes on the wrong last or something, who knows.

Just to calibrate expectations for @Hot Dog Day #49
, I would be very surprised if Alden offered up a new pair to replace the poorly recrafted ones. Customer service is an area where I think AE is vastly superior to Alden.

That's good to hear since I have a pair of AE that need to be recrafted.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

king lwb
argyles otc

REguy

Reaction score

Yikes man, good to know. I have never dealt with them. Debating ordering the Choco Indy's a few times but never pulled the trigger. Good thing I didnt. I always wondered how they had so many stock sizes in a couple of the shoes including all the widths. Apparently they dont actually "have" the stock.

The sadist in me loves watching people order from these clowns during their sales, but I'd strongly recommend never doing business with them. They're bad enough in person, and there are a number of horror stories from those who placed online orders. Whenever I take a stroll down Charles Street, I shake my head at the idiocy that lurks behind the quaint storefront. However, I will say the last time I dropped in NRO, they had a pleasant young woman working who actually made an effort, but she must've been new and not yet schooled in the art of douchebaggery.

The funniest experience I had with them was during one of their sales. I thought it a great time to grab a pair of #8 chukkas, so I abandoned my self respect and ventured to the store. I mentioned the sale email at the register, and the dragon lady I was dealing with gave me the stink eye and said they don't honor online sales. I explained that I would simply go home, place the order online, and they'd be out the cost of shipping. She stuck with her position, so I left, placed the order, and the exact same pair arrived at my door a mile up the Charles a day later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads