• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

epc2

Reaction score

My money would be on the Copley last for the J Crew tassels. The toe looks too round to be the Aberdeen.

RE,

I know the toebox is a bit roomier on the Copley but what about the heel is it wider or similar?

Thanks.

epc2

Reaction score

Cloudy sky today ,Natt Cxl.

Last edited:

REguy

Reaction score

RE,

I know the toebox is a bit roomier on the Copley but what about the heel is it wider or similar?

Thanks.

I wear a D width across all Alden lasts and find the heel widths to be basically identical. That said, the way the shoes cup my heel differs a bit. The Copley and Barrie tend to have a lower collar, for example, compared to the Hampton and Modified which are higher on the inside of your foot.

I think some of how the heel fits also depends on how the shoes are lasted. I've had some pairs where the collars come up so high that they've dug into my ankles, whereas other pairs have had no curvature to the heels at all so they were very uncomfortable.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ I see a crease on there. Those things are probably 10+ years old!

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I had an issue with AE's recrafting recently (over in the AE thread) The sole needed warranty and the uppers came back pretty scratched and dented, some from the factory, alot from the poor packaging sent back. I was hoping they'd replace them but since they were 2nds weren't going to give me firsts though I hinted at it. So sent them back hoping they could fix it, they tried and couldn't. In the end they threw in shoes, trees, polish, free future recraft and 20% off a future pair. I still see the damage but hopefully time will fix them. Cordovan Dundee's. Hopefully just a one off experience, but hesitant to send more now. You could even see the new scratch's int he before and after pics they sent....sigh. So they did a good job in making it up, basically a refund of the amount I paid in product. Just wouldn't have rather had perfect shoes.

Last edited:

yesssir

Reaction score
Have any of you guys had an issue with J Crew saying a pair of Aldens were on the barrie last when you know they aren't? I recently picked up the perforated captoe bluchers and have worn them a few times and suddenly realized the toebox is way too tapered to be barrie. None of my other Aldens on the barrie last fit like this. I know I've already worn them but is there anything I can do at this point other than resell them since they don't fit?

epc2

Reaction score

Have any of you guys had an issue with J Crew saying a pair of Aldens were on the barrie last when you know they aren't? I recently picked up the perforated captoe bluchers and have worn them a few times and suddenly realized the toebox is way too tapered to be barrie. None of my other Aldens on the barrie last fit like this. I know I've already worn them but is there anything I can do at this point other than resell them since they don't fit?

Reguy had the same experience , I beleive his conclusion was that they were on the Hampton last, he's a very knowledge guy when it comes to Alden and their lasts.

neutrino

Reaction score
In fact, while at Alden SF I was shown the famous last chart by @REguy as an illustration of the lasts' differences.

yesssir

Reaction score

Reguy had the same experience , I beleive his conclusion was that they were on the Hampton last, he's a very knowledge guy when it comes to Alden and their lasts.

I wish J Crew wouldn't just slap barrie last under every description of an Alden shoe. Since they are worn do you think they'd let me exchange them or am I stuck with them? I've heard their customer service is pretty good.

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish J Crew wouldn't just slap barrie last under every description of an Alden shoe. Since they are worn do you think they'd let me exchange them or am I stuck with them? I've heard their customer service is pretty good.
I doubt they will let you exchange them because they are worn but I will tell you its worth a call. They typically are really good when it comes to this kind of stuff. They may offer you some kind of other perk.

REguy

Reaction score

I saw this coming which is why I posted a review on the J Crew website. Call J Crew. They're generally pretty good about offering discounts, etc. if they're in error.

I'm absolutely floored at how everyone grasped onto my rinky dink last chart (especially if Alden uses it too!). Maybe they'll make me honorary Last Master.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads