• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Finally got my Alden NST Whiskey Shell on Barrie last...back today from TSM. They sent them to Alden to get a flaw fixed where the heel met the sole and last. Great job, looks awesome, fast turn around and now I have officially become a member of the fine Whiskey club! See Ya, Steve
nephew, looking good wear in good health

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

"Reducing Flight Delays Act of 2013"

Can we get them to fast track an "improving my chances of an upgrade act of 2013?" Anything would be better than what I get, which is bupkis.
1f604.png

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Uncle, just curious, does the AE three eyelet chukka (Dundee), work for you?  AE has had some nice looking shell offerings in the Dundee but I have never tried them..

nephew,
i have no experience with the three eyelet chukkas

Last edited:

docalden2013

Reaction score
whats the consensus with sizing if 11.5D? would 11E possibly work in a barrie lasted shoe?
Hi kwhitelaw,

I'm not sure if my experience would generalize to the 11/11.5 sizes, as my foot is smaller than yours. However, facing a parallel dilemma (my shell, calf and suede lwbs were all 8.5D and the shoe of interest was an 8E), I ended up taking a chance on the Citishoes whiskey lwb's mentioned a couple days ago on this thread and am now pleased to report the pleasant surprise of finding out that the 8E was just fine. Voltaire at Citishoes indicated that the difference in length between an 8E and an 8.5D is negligible ("just a few millimeters"). Before pulling the trigger, I tried to make sure I thought about the factors that might manifest themselves after the high of finding an exciting shoe. Accordingly, I checked to make sure there was adequate room in the toe box in the event of brisk walking or running (e.g., as one would encounter if trying to catch a subway), no discomfort or tightness upon walking up or down stairs. Voltaire pressed down on my big toe and pinky toe to make sure they were in the right spots. No perceptible rubbing on the pinky side.

Of course, YMMV. The parameters that may be particular to my particular example include: I have relatively wide feet, but a narrow heel.

In my humble opinion, it's worth trying, especially if you won't get killed on return shipping (Kathy at Alden DC, for example, has let me take advantage of free shipping for returns). I was excited about this little experiment, as I actually found the shorter E width shoe more comfy than the longer D width shoes I had always assumed were the exact size my feet required. (The strange thing is that I had the Citi guys measure me with their brannock and they claim I came out a 10C; this made no sense to me, as the AE SAs claim I'm a 9D).

I'm all for trying it and seeing if it works for you. Of course, that may be the sickness talking.

A quick PSA for anyone who is a ~9.5: Voltaire busted out a pair of "Plaza last Ravello shell bal wingtips" that looked to be old/dead stock. Told me I could have them for a significant discount, as in 40% off their list price. I'll see if I can find a pic of it on google images or the thread. The only hesitation I had about them (besides the ill fit for me) was that they had what struck me as slightly strange curlicue-shaped perfs on the vamp. That said, shell is shell...

Either way, kwhitelaw, I hope you find what you're looking for!

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finally got my Alden NST Whiskey Shell on Barrie last...back today from TSM. They sent them to Alden to get a flaw fixed where the heel met the sole and last. Great job, looks awesome, fast turn around and now I have officially become a member of the fine Whiskey club! See Ya, Steve
These are awesome. I've recently tried contacting TSM regarding shipping a pair north of the border but no one has answered. Does anyone know if "Mark" still works there?

docalden2013

Reaction score
Some quick questions re Alden Leather Defender, which arrived from JCrew today:

- Label claims it will "clean and protect calfskin and genuine shell cordovan." Can I trust that it can indeed be used on shell? (I know it says so, but I'm paranoid about it given that I'm kind of a shoe care newbie)

- Directions are to "Apply Alden Leather Defender to a soft cloth and wipe shoes thoroughly. Let dry. Turn cloth and buff gently. For best results allow leather to dry completely before wearing shoes." Do you fellow Alden Leather Defender users actually follow this procedure? If memory serves well enough, I have a faint recollection of someone instructing us to simply spray the shoe before going out on days rain is predicted. I'd rather go with this on-the-fly method. Shoe care can be time consuming. I'm barely keeping up on my Mac Method basics! (Please don't tell Uncle; I don't want him to be disappointed in me, especially before I post pics of the new whiskeys tomorrow)
shog[1].gif

- For those of you who don't believe in the Leather Defender, what alternative water protection, if any, are you using and why?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can offer.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^On the topic of laces, does anyone know where i can find Quality Beige laces? I want to change up the look of my shoes but Yellow and Orange are not going to cut it.

docalden2013

Reaction score
^^^On the topic of laces, does anyone know where i can find Quality Beige laces? I want to change up the look of my shoes but Yellow and Orange are not going to cut it.
How about http://www.shoelacesexpress.com/fashionrounddresslaces.asp ?

Good luck!

Oh, a quick followup question: Are you colored laces-wearing folks ever struggling with shoe dye, etc getting on the laces? I recently removed the yellow laces from my #8 LWBs and found random spots (probably at exactly where the lace enters the eyelets) were stained with eggplant-color. Some of the stains rubbed off with a little elbow grease, but they still linger. Should I launder them? Oxyclean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads