• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dusttruffle

Reaction score
some help with my understand of sizing would be useful. I have added some comments that i think are correct from my reading, but please correct me if you opinion is different.

I have a perfect fit with unlined shell PTB barrie 8.5B/D ... my understanding is the lined version sizing is the same
I fit ok with shell barrie LWB 8.5B/D .... thicker socks would make for a perfect fit

i *think* i am a 8D in CXL indy ... i tried on some a year or so ago and i think they were D width, i recently tried on a pair of 8E and they were a touch to wide on one foot (esp at the heel) ... and were much easier to get on initally than the ones i tried on a year ago.

personally if i could get boots that fit as well as the unlined PTB it would be superb. although i havn't tried any barrie boots, i think it might suit me better than the trubalance.

IIRC the LWB is comparable in fit to the chukka.
How does other boots compare? thinking about a para or the crew perf captoe?
Does anyone have barrie lasted indy's ... if so how does the fit compare with the barrie PTB or the barrie LWB

any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

shaunw

Reaction score
F-53 for Friday
fing02[1].gif

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ nice shine on your AF-53's shaunw. Sweet boots!

Last edited:

Don L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice combo with the pants mdubs ^^

antonw

Reaction score
Hi!

Long time lurker writing to share what might be the worst customer service experience I have ever experienced, unfortunately Alden-related. Here it goes.

To make a long story (somewhat) short I have a pair of snuff suede indy boots with crepe soles on which have been experiencing some nasty irregular bulging where the tongue meets the outer quarter on the right boot. Nothing that makes them unwearable but disturbing on a pair of €550 boots (bought while on vacation in Germany). I contacted Alden regarding this problem and after sending them a few pictures they acknowledged the problem and told me to send them over to have them repaired. I took a €50 expense to have them sent over to Alden, hoping that the boots would come back without the nasty bulge.

This is when the problems started forming. When the boots arrived after a few weeks, Alden had tried to use glue between the lining and the outer suede to hold the bulge down, making it look worse than when I initially sent them in. I sent Alden a new email explaining my dissatisfaction with the attempted repair along with some pictures showing the now even bigger problem caused by them.

Again, Alden acknowledged the problem and told me to send them back over to have it sorted out. Confident that this time they would not make the same mistake, I payed the €50 once again to send the boots over. This time, even though I sent them several emails asking for updates, I heard nothing for a few weeks. Until one day almost four weeks ago, when I received an email saying that they couldn't find anything wrong with my boots and that they were sending them back without any adjustments. Within minutes from receiving that email I replied asking why they changed their minds all of the sudden.

Three more weeks went by. I sent four new emails asking what was happening and when I would get my boots back, without a single reply from Alden. Today, all of the sudden, ups dropped by with a box from Alden. Imagine my disappointment when I open the box to find my old boots, with nothing done to the bulge Alden created, lying in a dirty white shoe box without any shoe bags instead of the original box and shoe bags in which I sent the boots....

Long post but I had to share my frustration. I worship the shoes Alden produce but their customer service and quality standards are far from impressive compared to other premium shoe manufacturers.

/Anton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads