• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sHOULD THERE BE A CAUSE FOR CONCERN... GOT THESE NOT THAT LONG AGO AND HAVE WORN THEM TWICE FOR A TOTAL OF 12 HOURS MAX... THE CREASING ON THE LEFT SHOE IS BAD, AT LEAST TO ME...... HOWEVER THIS IS MY FIRST PAIR OF SCOTCHGRAIN.... THESE ARE THE SPECIAL ONES FOR JCREW.. THINKING I SHOULD DO AN EXCHANGE.... I WOULD LIKE YOUR THOUGHTS.

How on Earth can you exchange a pair of shoes you've worn twice? Creases in calf are not something you can control like in shell. Just wear the shoes and enjoy them for what they are- nice shoes.

Macpod

Reaction score
Hi guys. Just wondering if I can get my local cobbler/ shoemaker to fix 6 or so loose speedhooks on my tanker boots? He's probably not familiar with Alden's. Is it an easy fix that anyone in the business would be familiar with?

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys. Just wondering if I can get my local cobbler/ shoemaker to fix 6 or so loose speedhooks on my tanker boots? He's probably not familiar with Alden's. Is it an easy fix that anyone in the business would be familiar with?

yes.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible to get captoe boots without loose speed hooks.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just got a pair of used aldens that say "8H30 025 11 977" on the inside. does any of that information say what last they were made on? if i had to guess based on the look/fit i would say Grant. they're brown calfskin longwings.

Last edited:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, all eyelets would be ideal, but I wanted Barrie last with brogueing.

Macpod

Reaction score

What about paint on speedhooks? Does Alden use a specific color?

i was hoping he could just reuse the loose ones. But the ones on the tanker boot arnt painted from what I can see. But I don't mind if they are just all unpainted metal.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i was hoping he could just reuse the loose ones. But the ones on the tanker boot arnt painted from what I can see. But I don't mind if they are just all unpainted metal.

The paint chipped on my Indy boots on two of the hooks not really a big deal but it kinda bothers me

Trinitrogen Oxide

Reaction score
I've been watching for a couple weeks, but unable to find some shell wingtips or longwings in Ravello. I see Leffot and LS have had them in the past, but are long since sold out. I'm guessing because its winter time they're focusing on the boots, how likely is it somebody will get some come springtime?

Macpod

Reaction score

The paint chipped on my Indy boots on two of the hooks not really a big deal but it kinda bothers me

yeh. Imagine receiving your 710 pair of boots and finding half of the speedhooks are missing and a patch of edge dressing on the leather, plus a tongue that slides to the side. But the overall look of the shoe and the leather is worth it. Just would have Been perfect if those defects were not there

Atcmg8803

Reaction score
New Soles in my LS Jumpers in the wild...I know they didn't get too much acclaim here, but I LOVE THEM!

0648d19d.jpg

Nice boot. Cuff question. How much longer than your inseam do you (anyone) buy trousers to achieve that cuff (double?)?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I dig those soles!
By the way, why are they called Jumpers? And what makes them a "jumper"? Are my J Crew #8 cap-toe boots jumpers?

The model is based on what parachuters in WW2 used to wear I believe. All eyelets, brogued captoe, pull tab...

Nice boot. Cuff question. How much longer than your inseam do you (anyone) buy trousers to achieve that cuff (double?)?

These just come that long...I think the inseem is 35 and I'm a 30.5, so I guess at least 3 inches.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why do people hate on the Alden crepe sole? I love mine so far. It is a very dense crepe (similar to some Church's crepe I have) that has some good traction.

I've had crepe soles from other makers in the past and always found them pretty comfortable but some of them seem very soft and pick up every single tiny little pebble when I am walking and if I go from the sidewalk to a tiled floor, I get all sorts of annoying scraping. Yes, it's a petty annoyance, but it exists nonetheless.

Fast forward a year since my last pair of crepe-soled shoes and I just recently got the new Kudu leather longwings from Leffot on the crepe. I wore them around the house yesterday and today out in the wild for the first time. All I can say is that they feel like I am walking on clouds. And I agree that the sole is much more dense than some of the others I've tried and the traction is surprisingly good. I was walking around on ice covered sidewalks this morning and felt zero slipping. These things are phenomenal. I also want to give a shout out to Leffot for their super fast service/shipping. I called them Monday afternoon to place the order and the shoes were at my doorstep in Detroit Wednesday morning!

:slayer:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads