• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it just came that way from Alden. one of the welts wasn't properly painted through.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gentlemen,

@Joenobody0
Bespoke/Custom Lasts are, by far, the most ideal.  That is where I would like to eventually end up myself.  If my vocation ever takes me to Italy or Hungary I will do so.

@TtownMD
That golden Vass fit is what I am hoping to do in the VERY near future.  I think I may have struck gold with my recent EB MTO through Skoak.  But Vass is at the very top of my list...like, if they were able to provide me with what I wanted...I would order today...

However, Alden are currently providing me with a very good fit and the aesthetic is good IMO.

Watchman1 I just got my first LWB shell cordoven, color 8. I know you have tons of she'll. what is your input for Alden leather defender using on Alden shell shoes. I guess I am asking do you take an precaution before exposing your shell shoes out to rain. I figured to
Ask you since you are shell king lol

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Watchman1 I just got my first LWB shell cordoven, color 8. I know you have tons of she'll. what is your input for Alden leather defender using on Alden shell shoes. I guess I am asking do you take an precaution before exposing your shell shoes out to rain. I figured to

Thank you my friend.

There are several ways to approach this.

1. Alden Defender
2. Using paste wax as a barrier to the elements

Either way is good. I think that the Alden product is a little better for that kind of thing.

You must find what works best for you.

I am no expert by the way, there are many gentlemen on this forum that have been in the game longer and know much more than myself.

Thanks.

bm93

Reaction score
A heads up: there's a pair of Alden x J.Crew shell captoe boots in size 9 on Grailed for $400. Not my listing, but a pretty solid deal for anyone interested.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

@Joenobody0
Bespoke/Custom Lasts are, by far, the most ideal.  That is where I would like to eventually end up myself.  If my vocation ever takes me to Italy or Hungary I will do so.

@TtownMD
That golden Vass fit is what I am hoping to do in the VERY near future.  I think I may have struck gold with my recent EB MTO through Skoak.  But Vass is at the very top of my list...like, if they were able to provide me with what I wanted...I would order today...

However, Alden are currently providing me with a very good fit and the aesthetic is good IMO.

Just wear them. Learn the art of DGAF. If you get welts, bone them.

-signed, Seattle guy who wears shell in the rain and doesn't do anything special to them

victorioussiry

Reaction score
worship.gif

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd send them back to Alden and let them finish them properly. Deplorable QC that they left the factory like that

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Watchman1 I just got my first LWB shell cordoven, color 8. I know you have tons of she'll. what is your input for Alden leather defender using on Alden shell shoes. I guess I am asking do you take an precaution before exposing your shell shoes out to rain. I figured to Ask you since you are shell king lol
As watchman indicates, you've got a few options. Alden leather defender works best for me. Nice price and maintains the shine. Nothing wrong with trying to keep them free of wet marks.
Is this an easy fix? The welts are different colors.
Getting the light welt to match the dark welt is probably an easy fix, but going the other way is beyond anything I would be comfortable with. The shell looks great. I'd send them back to Alden and let them take care of it.

Last edited:

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As watchman indicates, you've got a few options. Alden leather defender works best for me. Nice price and maintains the shine. Nothing wrong with trying to keep them free of wet marks.
Getting the light welt to match the dark welt is probably an easy fix, but going the other way is beyond anything I would be comfortable with. The shell looks great. I'd send them back to Alden and let them take care of it.

Good to know so you spray on the shoe then wipe them brush & you good to go. So it protect the shoe from rain then ha? Good to know.

Matty123

Reaction score

Gentlemen,

This issue of elegance and style here on the Fora seems to surface with regularity.  Typically, you have 2 camps on 2 opposite sides of the spectrum.  One side says that the sleek Euro lasts, with their symmetrical and clean lines are more aesthetically pleasing.  And, they say this well, for very often this camp is correct.  Then, diametrically opposed to them is the camp who says that their clunky and chunky, hearty Americano lasts are utilitarian and rugged and good for them.  These chaps herald proper fitting shoes and boots as their motto.  And, they rejoice in their position and rightly so.

If patina trumps pristine, then fit is paramount.

We must keep in mind the relative quality of elegance.

The definition of elegance is as follows:

"The quality of being graceful and stylish in appearance or manner; style..."

My assertion is this:  What is elegant for one gentleman may not necessarily be elegant for another.  Genuine Elegance is determined by some key principles.  And, I think you men will agree.

1.  Fit.  An ill fitting shoe or boot is the epitome of inelegance.  Nothing screams taboo more than a man in an ill fitting set of footwear.  If a man is wearing the right fitting shoes, then he is FREE to be as gentlemanly as his inherent nature allows him to be.  Put him in a bad fitting pair and not only is he self conscious about the fit, but he is not free to be himself.

2.  Proportion.  If certain patterns for shirts and suits help a man to enter into genuine elegance; then what makes us think footwear is not the same?  It is the same in my mind.  Men should wear shoes and boots that help them to maintain a certain level of aesthetic appeal.  A short and chubby man should probably steer away from long pointy lasted shoes.  Etc.

I think that we here make a tragic mistake when hue out a certain sartorial dogma and then essentially demand that everyone line up with our concepts.

Beware of sartorial legalism...

The best thing to do is meet men where they are...and then help them mature into what they ought to be...sartorially speaking...

Thanks.

Bravo Watchman. Well said.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this an easy fix? The welts are different colors.
i would send them back to alden, have them fix it
Happy 4th of July. Interesting Vass discussion here today.
Alden x Tassels Navy Chamois Indy Boot. RRL Selvedge Denim with a red and white selvedge ID, thus making it Red, White, and Blue. :)

-Mike
sweet suede boots dubs. nice jeans as well.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good to know so you spray on the shoe then wipe them brush & you good to go. So it protect the shoe from rain then ha? Good to know.

Just a minor point of clarification. Spray it on a cloth and wipe it on the shoe. You'll be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads