• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Vass has a huge variety of styles... from "big pilgrim buckle" all the way to "makes Alden look like an orthopedic".

Hey Joe,

Alden are actually orthopedic minded shoes...

So, in that regard, being orthopedic is ok...

Vass are incredibly attractive, aethsetic and pleasing to the eyes...yes, that is all true, but, have you dialed in your sizing with Vass lasts yet?

My understanding is that "F" is one of the most TTS.

Alden on the other hand are available in a myriad of widths regularly...

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey Joe,

Vass are incredibly attractive, aethsetic and pleasing to the eyes...yes, that is all true, but, have you dialed in your sizing with Vass lasts yet?

That part you are very correct Alden do accomdate all width & sizing. Vass sizing is tricky if you have wide feet. But once you figure out your sizing you are golden.

Last edited:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey Joe,

Vass is available in widths as well. The F last is available in narrow, regular, and wide RTW. There's also an extra narrow that can be obtained MTM, and I'd assume an extra wide is as well.

I'm still unsure of my size. The crowd suggests it's either a 40.5 narrow, or maybe a 40. However the couple odd men out who wear a 39.5 make me a little nervous. I'd really like to pick up a 40 or 40.5 on the cheap for sizing purposes. It can be a bit tough to know, right off the bat, how a new last fits. A little wear time goes a long way towards identifying the fit issues. In two years I'm going to Budapest to get a last made and then no more bs.

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vass is available in widths as well. The F last is available in narrow, regular, and wide RTW. There's also an extra narrow that can be obtained MTM, and I'd assume an extra wide is as well.

I'm still unsure of my size. The crowd suggests it's either a 40.5 narrow, or maybe a 40. However the couple odd men out who wear a 39.5 make me a little nervous. I'd really like to pick up a 40 or 40.5 on the cheap for sizing purposes. It can be a bit tough to know, right off the bat, how a new last fits. A little wear time goes a long way towards identifying the fit issues. In two years I'm going to Budapest to get a last made and then no more bs.

Wait - so you're singing Vass' praises without having found your size or tried a pair or seeing how it wears longer-term? I can understand if you like the aesthetic, but I was surprised you were so strident about it

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wait - so you're singing Vass' praises without having found your size or tried a pair or seeing how it wears longer-term? I can understand if you like the aesthetic, but I was surprised you were so strident about it

I'm looking for my ideal fit in this particular last.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

@Joenobody0 Bespoke/Custom Lasts are, by far, the most ideal. That is where I would like to eventually end up myself. If my vocation ever takes me to Italy or Hungary I will do so.

@TtownMD That golden Vass fit is what I am hoping to do in the VERY near future. I think I may have struck gold with my recent EB MTO through Skoak. But Vass is at the very top of my list...like, if they were able to provide me with what I wanted...I would order today...

However, Alden are currently providing me with a very good fit and the aesthetic is good IMO.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Joel,

You still haven't gotten your whiskey EB yet? Seems like it was shipped ages ago! I'm so eager to hear how it works out and see pics.

And you REALLY will only wear shell? Nice calf can really wear like a dream!

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

This issue of elegance and style here on the Fora seems to surface with regularity. Typically, you have 2 camps on 2 opposite sides of the spectrum. One side says that the sleek Euro lasts, with their symmetrical and clean lines are more aesthetically pleasing. And, they say this well, for very often this camp is correct. Then, diametrically opposed to them is the camp who says that their clunky and chunky, hearty Americano lasts are utilitarian and rugged and good for them. These chaps herald proper fitting shoes and boots as their motto. And, they rejoice in their position and rightly so.

If patina trumps pristine, then fit is paramount.

We must keep in mind the relative quality of elegance.

The definition of elegance is as follows:

"The quality of being graceful and stylish in appearance or manner; style..."

My assertion is this: What is elegant for one gentleman may not necessarily be elegant for another. Genuine Elegance is determined by some key principles. And, I think you men will agree.

1. Fit. An ill fitting shoe or boot is the epitome of inelegance. Nothing screams taboo more than a man in an ill fitting set of footwear. If a man is wearing the right fitting shoes, then he is FREE to be as gentlemanly as his inherent nature allows him to be. Put him in a bad fitting pair and not only is he self conscious about the fit, but he is not free to be himself.

2. Proportion. If certain patterns for shirts and suits help a man to enter into genuine elegance; then what makes us think footwear is not the same? It is the same in my mind. Men should wear shoes and boots that help them to maintain a certain level of aesthetic appeal. A short and chubby man should probably steer away from long pointy lasted shoes. Etc.

I think that we here make a tragic mistake when hue out a certain sartorial dogma and then essentially demand that everyone line up with our concepts.

Beware of sartorial legalism...

The best thing to do is meet men where they are...and then help them mature into what they ought to be...sartorially speaking...

Thanks.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plenty of Vass lasts are chunky and robust. In fact, their signature styles are the big honking budapester a and norwegers with reverse goyser welts and double soles!

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Joel,

You still haven't gotten your whiskey EB yet? Seems like it was shipped ages ago! I'm so eager to hear how it works out and see pics.

And you REALLY will only wear shell? Nice calf can really wear like a dream!

Yes Sir,

They are held up in NYC customs...they are said to be outbound to me at this moment. I am eagerly awaiting their arrival.

And yes, at this moment I have NO calfskin shoes that I wear in rotation. Shell Cordovan is a hobby for me. And, I am a bit of a collector as well. I enjoy a plethora of styles from all the varying makers around the world.

Alden represents the foundation and cornerstone upon which my shoe rotation is built. Then, I get to build the superstructure with all the other goodies.

I will be the first to admit that wearing cordovan exclusively is a bit eccentric...but, I am ok with that...
biggrin.gif

Thanks.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plenty of Vass lasts are chunky and robust. In fact, their signature styles are the big honking budapester a and norwegers with reverse goyser welts and double soles!

Yes Sir,

But, you get my drift in a general sort of way. This is simply a summary of the 2 varying positions.

Vass is indeed known for being clunky and chunky and robust. And, yet sleek and elegant all at once. Probably one of the only makers that are able to meet men on either side of the spectrum, which, is a rare thing to find in a shoemaker.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vass does make some chunky lasts, but still very different from the alden aesthetic. Vass boots feel like tall dress shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads