• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldennoob

Reaction score
It sounds like you fit similar to me where you can go TTS in barrie lasted boot's and need to drop a 1/2 size in barrie lasted shoes.

In that case I would suggest keeping the size 7 as they should fit the same as Tassels boot.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

thanks for your quick reply!
Actually i asked the staff in tassels and they said somethings about welting. The 990 was built in 360welt ?(or storm welt?) and boot was built in 270welt hence make the 990 larger than boot.
What welting are the #44924HC? I dont have a clear concepts about welting.
worship2.gif

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks for your quick reply!
Actually i asked the staff in tassels and they said somethings about welting. The 990 was built in 360welt ?(or storm welt?) and boot was built in 270welt hence make the 990 larger than boot.
What welting are the #44924HC? I dont have a clear concepts about welting.:worship2:

The boot you posted from Madison has a 360 welt. You can see the stitching of the boot go all the way around it (hence, 360). 270 welt stops at the heel. I am unaware of this causing any difference in sizing.

aldennoob

Reaction score
The boot you posted from Madison has a 360 welt. You can see the stitching of the boot go all the way around it (hence, 360). 270 welt stops at the heel. I am unaware of this causing any difference in sizing.

Thanks for your help! Maybe i misunderstand the explanation from the staff. Your advice is very useful and i will try same size with the boot
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I have the same black shell cap toe boot on barrie but with 360 storm welt. It fits considerably larger than my 990; I have no idea why. I also have a perf cap toe boot (J Crew) on barrie, that definitely fits smaller than the black shell ct boot (narrower but probably the same length) and it is likely because of the 270' flat welt. I think many here would agree that 270', closed heel welting can make a difference in sizing.

One other point, if you are trying to get the proper fit for a chrmxl boot, and you are between two sizes, generally speaking the smaller of the two sizes may be the wiser choice as chrmxl loosens and stretches MUCH more than shell.

Good luck my friend. Let us know how it goes and post some pics! and as TTG said, welcome to the thread!

Last edited:

aldennoob

Reaction score
I have the same black shell cap toe boot on barrie but with 360 storm welt. It fits considerably larger than my 990; I have no idea why. I also have a perf cap toe boot (J Crew) on barrie, that definitely fits smaller than the black shell ct boot (narrower but probably the same length) and it is likely because of the 270' flat welt. I think many here would agree that 270', closed heel welting can make a difference in sizing.

One other point, if you are trying to get the proper fit for a chrmxl boot, and you are between two sizes, generally speaking the smaller of the two sizes may be the wiser choice as chrmxl loosens and stretches MUCH more than shell.

Good luck my friend. Let us know how it goes and post some pics! and as TTG said, welcome to the thread!

I guess even with same last, different retailer make up will also have different fitting feeling...i hope i can travel to US to try it in person. But nowadays alden is too hard to buy. This cxl boot also have no estimated restock time.
frown.gif

rosslovethreads

Reaction score

What are the best shoe trees for boots? I have woodlore twin epics and nordstroms rack ae trees also. But feel as though they don't fill the vamp as much as I'd like

My least favorite trees are from woodlore. I feel they are too tall in the vamp area and it hinders the shoe tree from properly filling the vamp. It just gets wedged in there too early, without properly filling the width of the shoe. Rochester Shoe Tree Co (the company that supplies Alden their shoe trees{Alden simply applies their Alden plaque to the trees and resells them}) makes really great ones. Try to catch them on eBay. In my experience their sizing chart is pretty accurate.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've assembled the shell family (Hallecks not here) in anticipation of new members arriving next week: Whiskey WTBoot, Ravello Captoe Boot and Cigar balmoral..
I luckily got in on the Ryden **** kicker and aside from keeping my fingers crossed for a Ravello (or Cigar or Whiskey ; ) NST shoe or boot my Alden splurge is close to over. Until I get into suede !
l to r Whiskey WT & Chukka, Ravello Chukka, PTBoot&Blucher, Cigar Chukka&wtBoot:

Thank you for sharing. I really like the different colors in your collection.
Getting ready to put these into the rotation.  Recent shoemart cigar indies.

Sweet looking indys.

ylku

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I felt so depressed when I received a pair of new Alden 990 shoes this morning. Both of them have been creased....

Is this normal when buying shoes from Alden shoe store?

stevefok

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I felt so depressed when I received a pair of new Alden 990 shoes this morning. Both of them have been creased....

Which store did you get those from. They do resell shoes which have been tried on or returned from customers with a bit of imperfection but those are the worst I've ever seen. That's totally unacceptable. How's the condition of the soles?

Last edited:

ylku

Reaction score
Which store did you get those from. They do resell shoes which have been tried on or returned from customers with a bit of imperfection but those are the worst I've ever seen. That's totally unacceptable. How's the condition of the soles?
From Alden Madison.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^looks like someone tried on in-store. I would exchange for another pair.

MT1982

Reaction score
Hi everyone, did anyone purchased

BROWN CHROMEXCE LBARRIE LAST COMMANDO SOLE STYLE #44924HC from alden madison?
I want to ask about the fitting. I own a pair of cap toe boot in barrie last from tassels hong kong

and a pair of 990. I found that the 990 is larger than cap toe boot even they are both in US7.

I am not sure which size i should take for this boot. should i take us6.5 for the #44924HC or US7 ?
hope you guys can give me some advice
smile.gif
thanks

Are you sure the 990's and the Cap Toes that you have are both the same width size (D, E, etc.)? I know Tassels carries quite a few E widths so that could be part of it if they happen to be different sizes.

That said - I have two different Barrie lasted boots - natural cxl cap toes from JCrew (that are very similar to the brown cxl model you're looking at) and a pair of chocolate suede tankers from Leather Soul. The tankers fit much looser than the cap toes. Both are 9D's, both are full 360 welt on Commando soles.

On a side note - The Shoe Mart carries a model similar to the one you're looking at, but with brass eyelets and speed hooks - http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...c_ald_m_5_eyelet_perforated_cap_toe_boot.html - they offer free shipping unlike Alden Madison (not sure if that applies to International shipping though, but worth a look).

aldennoob

Reaction score
Are you sure the 990's and the Cap Toes that you have are both the same width size (D, E, etc.)? I know Tassels carries quite a few E widths so that could be part of it if they happen to be different sizes.

That said - I have two different Barrie lasted boots - natural cxl cap toes from JCrew (that are very similar to the brown cxl model you're looking at) and a pair of chocolate suede tankers from Leather Soul. The tankers fit much looser than the cap toes. Both are 9D's, both are full 360 welt on Commando soles.

On a side note - The Shoe Mart carries a model similar to the one you're looking at, but with brass eyelets and speed hooks - http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...c_ald_m_5_eyelet_perforated_cap_toe_boot.html - they offer free shipping unlike Alden Madison (not sure if that applies to International shipping though, but worth a look).

wow, thanks for your information. i even didnt notice shoe mart have this make up! However i would like to try us6.5 and the smallest size from shoes mart is us7 :(
i am sure both ct boot and 990 is d width

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads