• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cincikid

Reaction score
Good gad lads,

I’m new here but have a 3 pair of Alden shoes. Could you recommend me a proper shoe care for Unlined Chromexcel Plain Toe Blucher (Brown Chromexcel) and Alden for Need Supply – Harrison Ranger Mocc (tobacco chamois leather) what colour is the best for these shoes? And what is better cream or wax?

Thanks,
Faffer
CXL: You can do either Venetian Shoe Cream of Saphir Renovateur. Nich Horween recommends VSC but Saphir is just as good or probably better (though it is much more expensive as well). Some people would also use mink oil on CXL, particularly on natural CXL.
Chamois: You do not need any shoe care products since it is saturated with oils. I brush mine once in a blue moon.
You did not provide any information about your third pare, but you can go through one of the numerous SF threads dedicated to the shoe care, like this.

Bbombers85

Reaction score
Preordered the reverse chamois boot. Didn't have any on commando and wasn't feeling those Indys. Figured this could be the perfect rugged boot for those new england winters.

Already have the chamois longwing on commando on preorder from January.

Last edited:

cgul629

Reaction score
My size was gone in the first minute for the Tobacco LWB! At least I got the Natty CXL Indy Boot. Dame I wanted both. I would have been done for at least a couple of years.

I don't know about a couple of minutes, but my size is gone already as well. I suppose shell or not I better be ready as soon the the orders go live next time.
frown.gif

gentfarmer

Reaction score
I don't know about a couple of minutes, but my size is gone already as well. I suppose shell or not I better be ready as soon the the orders go live next time.
frown.gif

I was on at 9AM PST and had the shoes in my size and in my shopping cart. By the time I was finished with billing it had sold out from under me!

loanshark

Reaction score
I just got in on the natty clx indy pre-order. This is my first pre-order and will be my fourth pair of of Alden's. So excited!

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Placed an order for the Alpine Grain NSTs from Unionmade. Like the brass, love the all eyelet. My first Alden boot (to go along with my Natural CXL PTB and unlined brown CXL PTB).

How does the alpine grain age? I haven't seen a ton of pictures here or via google. With the commando sole, these should be a great fall/winter boot here in the NE.

That's a great looking boot. The grain leather should wear in to a nice patina - but it'll take some time (I'd go easy on the polish and no waterproofing if you want the patina). :slayer:

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got an email from Epaulet saying an order of Innsbruck Indy's came in. This is much earlier than I anticipated but nontheless, Im happy about it. Happy I did not jump on the Ultimate Indy's from LS, I personally think the design of the Innsbruck is much better.

what whale

Reaction score

That's a great looking boot. The grain leather should wear in to a nice patina - but it'll take some time (I'd go easy on the polish and no waterproofing if you want the patina). :slayer:

Ta. Really looking forward to receiving them!

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got an email from Epaulet saying an order of Innsbruck Indy's came in. This is much earlier than I anticipated but nontheless, Im happy about it. Happy I did not jump on the Ultimate Indy's from LS, I personally think the design of the Innsbruck is much better.

Me too - just paid.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For any one that has the tobacco chamois in a boot or shoe, does it stretch and break in as much as a chrmxyl shoe/boot. My natty chrmxl LWBs have broken-in / stretched to the point that I could have probably gone down a half size. I'm probably a 9.75D in barrie and typically go 10D. I probably could have gone 9.5D in chrmxl. Can I expect the chamois to be as pliable as chrmxyl?

Thanks...

docalden2013

Reaction score

For any one that has the tobacco chamois in a boot or shoe, does it stretch and break in as much as a chrmxyl shoe/boot. My natty chrmxl LWBs have broken-in / stretched to the point that I could have probably gone down a half size.  I'm probably a 9.75D in barrie and typically go 10D.  I probably could have gone 9.5D in chrmxl.  Can I expect the chamois to be as pliable as chrmxyl?

Thanks...

Hi Repp
I bought the tobacco chamois Greenwich boots from Leffot this past winter. In my experience, there has been minimal stretching. I'd try to size conservatively.
Good luck!

Preordered the reverse tobbaco boots today. Very excited to beat them up in the snow this winter.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Repp
I bought the tobacco chamois Greenwich boots from Leffot this past winter. In my experience, there has been minimal stretching. I'd try to size conservatively.
Good luck!

Preordered the reverse tobbaco boots today. Very excited to beat them up in the snow this winter.
Thanks doc. This was very helpful. Take care kind sir...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads