• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To add to the black shell discussion, I and non-Alden-addicts seem to enjoy the lustre of black shell cordovan. I think it can be done casually enough and it certainly dresses up nicely.

I bought the JC cadet shoe in black cordovan last year after I got a 25% discount from my personal shopper. I must say that it doesn't get much wear in my rotation. I'm still grappling with whether the shoe looks properly proportioned with 6 pairs of eyelets. If I were buying only one black shell, it might just be the longwing (I'd consider a ptb too, but I like some ornamentation on shoes...).

and @bkotsko makes me want to rock my black naval boots soon. It's just been a bit too hot around here for boots lately.
It was cool this morning. 48F at my house, which is unseasonably cool for a July morning.
You know who will take those cadets off you when the time is right, Doc.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see black as formal, I love black shoes if I'm wearing a suit or a tux. With casual wear, Its just not my thing.

If I were to buy black Alden's it would likely be a captoe cadet shoe (JCrew) to replace my park avenues.

If you were looking to use a black shell Alden model for more formal attire, I would recommend either the cap toe bal (like AE's Park Av) or the perf cap toe bal (like AE's 5th Av). J Crew's cadet is very much a casual looking shoe in my opinion, even though it is black. The barrie last, blucher, and double leather sole makes it look a little odd with a suit. I've done the 9901 with a suit before and felt fine, but somehow the cadet looks more like it should be a (naval) boot and screams casual, at least to me. My $0.02.

mistercitizen

Reaction score
Try the c&j for Ralph Lauren brown shell ptbs. I am very happy with my pair and don't feel I need alden cigar ptbs, except when uncle Mac posts pic of his cigar ptbs.
+1 Those cigar PTB's would be like my dream shoe. I have the RL Marlow PTB's and my Alden Color 8 PTB's..... but Alden cigar PTB's I would probably wear more than those two combined.

Ben

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still do not get the whole anti-black shoe/boot thing, I think it is rather comical actually. Great looking boots!

It's actually kind of bizarre. I have a lot of black Alden models (captoe boots, tanker boot, captoe bals, NST shoe, PTB). They are actually some of my most complimented shoes and are very versatile. Based on actual wear, I get more use out of my black cordovans than cigar, whiskey, ravello, etc. I am really looking to add a black brogue at some point as well. The 9751 may be it.

Black shell is great. i own the 9751 and get a decent amount of use out of it.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see black as formal, I love black shoes if I'm wearing a suit or a tux. With casual wear, Its just not my thing.

If I were to buy black Alden's it would likely be a captoe cadet shoe (JCrew)  to replace my park avenues.

If you were looking to use a black shell Alden model for more formal attire, I would recommend either the cap toe bal (like AE's Park Av) or the perf cap toe bal (like AE's 5th Av).  J Crew's cadet is very much a casual looking shoe in my opinion, even though it is black.  The barrie last, blucher, and double leather sole makes it look a little odd with a suit.  I've done the 9901 with a suit before and felt fine, but somehow the cadet looks more like it should be a (naval) boot and screams casual, at least to me.  My $0.02.

+1

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question about these Alden 954 Monk's I picked up - honestly I got them to practice some shell work and was shocked when they arrived that they were in as good as condition as they were - the photos I bought from were really terrible..almost made the $99 spent seem like a waste but I figured if it saved my other shell's from getting poor treatment from it was worth it- Anyway after they arrived and I saw they were in decent shape I got to wondering about the soles...it seems like there is a super topy on it and the rubber is almost 1/4 of an inch at its widest and it is stitched- I would imagine that this shoe was redone but I have no idea as I know little about Alden and hoping to tap the knowledge base here. Any info on if these could have been released by Alden with this sole would be great and if not should I assume that using B Nelson would be the way to go to get them soles redone? Will Alden re-craft if anothers works has been done to them? Color wise I am assuming they were #8 at some point? Not sure if the codes inside tell the original color. Did a quick wipe down and brush on them.
Model 954 is color 8 and is a stock model. Send them to BNelson and get them resoled with JR leather.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1  Those cigar PTB's would be like my dream shoe.  I have the RL Marlow PTB's and my Alden Color 8 PTB's..... but Alden cigar PTB's I would probably wear more than those two combined.

Ben

how does the sizing of these shoes compare?

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's actually kind of bizarre. I have a lot of black Alden models (captoe boots, tanker boot, captoe bals, NST shoe, PTB). They are actually some of my most complimented shoes and are very versatile. Based on actual wear, I get more use out of my black cordovans than cigar, whiskey, ravello, etc. I am really looking to add a black brogue at some point as well. The 9751 may be it.

Agreed. My black shell boots (wingtip and cap toe) get a heavy workout. Black shell is great.

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black shell is great. i own the 9751 and get a decent amount of use out of it.

If you were looking to use a black shell Alden model for more formal attire, I would recommend either the cap toe bal (like AE's Park Av) or the perf cap toe bal (like AE's 5th Av). J Crew's cadet is very much a casual looking shoe in my opinion, even though it is black. The barrie last, blucher, and double leather sole makes it look a little odd with a suit. I've done the 9901 with a suit before and felt fine, but somehow the cadet looks more like it should be a (naval) boot and screams casual, at least to me. My $0.02.

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. Its hard to tell sometimes with JCrew models. Although for the 2 times a year I put on a suit, I likely wouldn't grab a new pair of black shell unless I scored a deal on eBay. No matter what I do I cannot incorporate black into my daily attire. I always hate how it looks and in general will go for dark greys or navy's instead.

Shiny

Reaction score

Those are sweet, did you go true to size or -.5 like barrie (I heard bb ptb is a different last like m58 or something)

Yep. TTS. Last is slimmer in the forepart of the shoe than the barrie last.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How about some Naval Cap Toes today? That's right, I am wearing *gasp* Black shell today. I don't care, I love these in black.
nephew, looking good I like black shell but it is not appreciate on this forum

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Natty CXL kinda day for me

nephew,
looking good

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ravello ptb
argyles otc

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How about some Naval Cap Toes today? That's right, I am wearing *gasp* Black shell today. I don't care, I love these in black.
I'm also not a fan of black shoes, 95% of the time. These boots, however, are supreme. BK's pics have been so good that I got in on the pre-order of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads