• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely agree about getting AE for a lot less. I like their quality, but their aesthetics are sometimes questionable. I still shake my head at myself for buying the casual Neumok bal; that AE offering appears to have an identity crisis.

For sure. They have a lot of truly hideous makeups, but they also have some great ones. I guess they try to cater to every taste (including bad taste). Anyway, after a great sale acquisition (portland boot in bourbon for just over $200), I'm kind of going through a new phase of AE appreciation after long ago writing them off as a bit too boring and bland. Anyway, yeah, going off topic so…

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

IMG_3095_zps80a9dd7f.jpg
LS ravello shortwings for me today.
Maiden voyage for some Cigar LWBs today. It's amazing how the color varies depending on the light.
Speaking of Grant boots:
My 1st Impression of Alden #401 Indy Boots (Black). Alden Boots are GREAT! Highly recommend them! Perhaps 405s will be next!
Gentlemen, those are all exquisite samples of Alden's fine boots/shoes. Well done all. Congrats to the new Indys and Cigar LWBs. -Mike

aldenwear

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for offending any sensibilities with this first post but I searched to my best ability and couldn't find an answer, so here goes...

I'm deciding between these two Natural Chromexcel Indys, but I'm having trouble discerning the differences between the two pairs:

Unionmade Stevenson or Indy Blucher from TSM

The only difference (my admittedly untrained eyes) can discern is in the soles. Anything I'm missing? I'll be wearing them in Chicago in some moderately inclement weather so I'd imagine the cork soles would be better?

Thanks again for any
Given where you will be living, I strongly encourage you to get these boots with a commando sole. If you do not, and get them in either the neocork (TSM) or the waterlock (Unionmade) soles, you will not be wearing them with ice on the ground, which can be 4, almost 5, months out of the year. The smooth soles are treacherous with slippery pavement.

Leffot and, I believe, LS offers this make-up in commando sole. You may have to wait going with Leffot or LS make-up (or maybe not. I think Leffot may have this make-up going now), but it will mean a boot you can wear 12 months a year.

Happy Hunting..

aldenwear

Reaction score
Alden must hate me today. The CXL chukkas came in but there's 1 nail on the heel of the right shoe that is sticking out. Is this something any decent cobbler should be able to nail in ir should I send them back? I can't wear them like this otherwise I'll be scratching up every floor I walk on.

If I had a hammer
I'd hammer in the morn'n
I'd hammer in the evening
All over this land
I'd hammer out justice
I'd hammer out freedom
I'd been hammerin' about love
Between my brothers and Aldens
All over this Land

Be an ingenious American man, get out your hammer, give that ****** two wacks and problem solved.

prez

Reaction score
how does the Hampton last fit compared to Barrie & Aberdeen? i wear 9d on Barrie, 9e on Aberdeen.
just bought the 901 on Hampton in 9e but feels shorter with my toes right up to the end of the shoe.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I can get 20 good years out of well cared for shell. Not so for calf or suede, which I see as 3 years at best with any regular wear.

I find the above statement regarding calf (and suede as well) odd and misguided. Well cared for is the key. I contend that well cared for calf leather of a decent quality can last as long as decent shell cordovan.

I wear and own some shoes made of shell cordovan and others made of calf, both of which have been subjected to regular wear for more than ten years, have been resoled when necessary, and look quite good (perhaps even relatively new). The longevity of a high quality leather Goodyear welted pair of shoes has more to do with care than anything else. If you take a calf (or shell) pair of shoes and use appropriately fitted shoe trees religiously, polish occasionally, resole when necessary, and dry appropriately after they have become wet, while taking a few other basic care/preventative steps, your shoes can easily last over ten years and look nice regardless of material.

High quality leather (and other non-shell materials) will develop smaller creases than shell. But conditioning and polishing said leather will prevent it from cracking and deteriorating; this is not really difficult. However, if you don't want to spend the time and effort to look after your shoes, then choose shell. It is true that shell handles neglectful wear better than calf. But the idea that shell far surpasses calf in terms of longevity when well cared for, as stated, is humorously exaggerated and wrongheaded.

coinopcollector

Reaction score

I find the above statement regarding calf (and suede as well) odd and misguided. Well cared for is the key. I contend that well cared for calf leather of a decent quality can last as long as decent shell cordovan.

I wear and own some shoes made of shell cordovan and others made of calf, both of which have been subjected to regular wear for more than ten years, have been resoled when necessary, and look quite good (perhaps even relatively new). The longevity of a high quality leather Goodyear welted pair of shoes has more to do with care than anything else.  If you take a calf (or shell) pair of shoes and use appropriately fitted shoe trees religiously, polish occasionally, resole when necessary, and dry appropriately after they have become wet, while taking a few other basic care/preventative steps, your shoes can easily last over ten years and look nice regardless of material.

High quality leather (and other non-shell materials) will develop smaller creases than shell. But conditioning and polishing said leather will prevent it from cracking and deteriorating; this is not really difficult. However, if you don't want to spend the time and effort to look after your shoes, then choose shell. It is true that shell handles neglectful wear better than calf. But the idea that shell far surpasses calf in terms of longevity when well cared for, as stated, is humorously exaggerated and wrongheaded. 

Well thanks for insinuating that I am lazy and don't care for my shoes. I can state unequivocally that I am fastidious about my shoes. Bottom line is that IMHO shell is superior in appearance, durability and longevity, and for my budget Alden calf and suede aren't justified by their cost. Perhaps your wallet is fatter and the price is less relevant to you. That said, I love the asthetics of many of the Alden suede offerings. I just wouldn't pay retail for them.

Bbombers85

Reaction score
FYI - J crew has a new #8 lwb priced at $600 and the 20% off card member code works!

ALDEN
00ae.png
SHELL CORDOVAN LONGWING BLUCHERS
Item: 26508
Size: 10 MEDIUM
Color: DARK BURGUNDY
IN STOCK
$480.00 x 1 $480.00

Alpina

Reaction score
IMG_3095_zps80a9dd7f.jpg

LS ravello shortwings for me today.
That's a granny knot, and it looks JV. It looks like both your overhands are left over right. I bet if you make the first overhand right over left you'll end up with a better looking knot (loops left and right not front and back) that doesn't come untied all day.

Beautiful shoes! They deserve the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads