• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Speed hooks/eyelets are very easy to replace or exchange. Any cobbler can do it.

Yea, but the spacing is different on the speedhooks vs the eyelets on a boot with both. I think it would look funny to replace the hooks with eyelets.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_3095_zps80a9dd7f.jpg

LS ravello shortwings for me today.
Don't tell me. Sitting in the back of your closet, forgotten, for the last few years?

I happen to agree with you that there is a place for many materials and textures in the shoe closet. I myself have observed here that calf doesn't get as much love. I'm currently eager to expand my boot lineup in terms of rare shell, but that doesn't mean I don't maintain a soft spot for the likes of cxl. I happen to think others are offering great non-shell boots. If I seem down on the Indy it's not that I'm hating it, I'm just more interested in Alden's other offerings. I reach much more frequently for wingtip and captoe boots than Indys.

Yes, to each his own.

If I want calf I almost never consider Alden. I can get C&J for a little more or AE for a lot less. Actually, when on sale, I can get C&J for a lot less. I'm not saying nobody should buy Alden calf, but I don't see myself doing it any time soon. For my money, Alden is for shell, other brands are for other things.

Leffot has by far the best pre-order policy going. They only put it up once they have received confirmation from Alden so you are never going to wait 2+ years and they only require roughly $100 so you do not have to pull the full balance up front and they can play the float. That is not to say clays and problems are not going to occur but they are mitigating it as much as possible with this system.

Agree that Leffot is pleasant to deal with and the 20% downpayment is extremely reasonable.

blackboard_knowledge

Reaction score

Hi gang,

Question on the indy boot: I'm once again very close to pulling the trigger on my first pair & am considering these from Union Made: http://unionmadegoods.com/product/alden-stevenson-indy-boot-in-natural-chromexcel-d3803h/

I've got a note into them but haven't heard back yet so I'm wondering : what's the difference between this "Stevenson" indy & the traditional indy in natural? Looks like a leather sole instead of cork - anything else? How would the leather differ in support from the cork?

Anyway replies greatly appreciated. Oh & is the regular natural CXL indy typically always abailable? Currently out of my size at the shoe mart.

THANKS
ww

I don't think that any pair of Aldens has had more **** talked about it on this forum than the Unionmade Stevenson Indys. There were considerable quality issues. Mine had problems --gaps and slightly different shading-- but they are not noticeable to most folks.

So, as someone that owns a lot of Indys, here are a couple of thoughts. The waterlock soles on the Stevensons are interesting, but if these are your first pair, I would go for Indys on the neocork or commando sole, as they are more versatile. Next, the sole edging on the Stevensons are pretty light.

I agree with the feedback from other folks that if you are wed to the Natural Indys and want them now, you should consider picking them up on the neocork sole from The Shoe Mart, North River Outfitters, etc. Honestly though, for all the Indys that I own, I end up wearing the J. Crew Indys most of the time. They are the most versatile, have darker edging than the standard make-up (you will appreciate it), bombproof, and easy to take care of.

wonsmithr8

Reaction score
There are not enough Indys without speedhooks. It is too bad that you don't do suede, as depending on your size, you might be able to get questionably the best Indys ever released from Brown's. Unfortunately, my size is out.

Ah no worries, thanks though. I was always on the fence about the Indys so no big loss. I'm just picky with what I want and going to try and buy just what I like (i.e. no black, color 8, NST, wingtips I waver back and forth).

coinopcollector

Reaction score
If I want calf I almost never consider Alden.  I can get C&J for a little more or AE for a lot less.  Actually, when on sale, I can get C&J for a lot less.  I'm not saying nobody should buy Alden calf, but I don't see myself doing it any time soon.  For my money, Alden is for shell, other brands are for other things.

I agree 100%. I can justify Alden prices for shell because it is rare, hard to work with and lasts forever. I won't pay Alden prices for calf or suede, even though I love a lot of the Alden suede models. I know I can get 20 good years out of well cared for shell. Not so for calf or suede, which I see as 3 years at best with any regular wear.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I want calf I almost never consider Alden. I can get C&J for a little more or AE for a lot less. Actually, when on sale, I can get C&J for a lot less. I'm not saying nobody should buy Alden calf, but I don't see myself doing it any time soon. For my money, Alden is for shell, other brands are for other things.

I agree 100%. I can justify Alden prices for shell because it is rare, hard to work with and lasts forever. I won't pay Alden prices for calf or suede, even though I love a lot of the Alden suede models. I know I can get 20 good years out of well cared for shell. Not so for calf or suede, which I see as 3 years at best with any regular wear.

3 years? Ouch. I've had calf going 8-10 years and still in great shape. Mainly Church's, A. Sergeant, A. Testoni (higher quality rather than lower quality line). Though they were well cared for and rotated through -- and all see less wear now than they did years ago.

coinopcollector

Reaction score

3 years?  Ouch.  I've had calf going 8-10 years and still in great shape.  Mainly Church's, A. Sergeant, A. Testoni (higher quality rather than lower quality line).  Though they were well cared for and rotated through -- and all see less wear now than they did years ago.

I can see calf lasting much longer in a serious collection where they get worn only a couple to few times per month. Until about 2 years ago I wore 4 pairs of shoes in rotation 5 days a week. 2 pairs of Hanover shell LWBs, one cordovan and one black, brown Alden calf full strap loafers and black AE calf tassel loafers. I still have and regularly wear the Hanover shell LWBs which are on their 3rd soles and 20 years old. The calf shoes always wrinkle and just get worn looking and I never saw the value in resoleing them, simply replaced now by more shell cordovan and a pair of value priced AE calf tassels.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

docalden2013

Reaction score

3 years seems quite a short window of viability for quality calf shoes, even for heavy rotation. Heck, in the days before my styleforum profligacy, I had Kenneth Cole glued rubber soled shoes that lasted at least that long while rotated among, at most, 4 pairs of shoes.

I don't mind paying Alden prices for calf or suede, even if it might be a bit marked up. I know their lasts well, don't feel like taking time to shop around with other brands and their idiosyncratic fits, feel comfy with the Alden retailers with whom I deal, and am happy with what I get.

Definitely agree about getting AE for a lot less. I like their quality, but their aesthetics are sometimes questionable. I still shake my head at myself for buying the casual Neumok bal; that AE offering appears to have an identity crisis.

I'm excited to see my shells and their patinas 20 years out. Do you have any vintage shell you care to share with us? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads