• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

n-domino

Reaction score
Looks like they have the exact same one Harrisonlimited had. The edging on the sole and heel might be a different color but you can't tell from the pics provided on the pelle website.

Pelle Line's CXL Chukkas are on double leather soles and fully lined. The ones Harrison stocks are unlined in the front and on single leather soles.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just picked my first Aldens with help from this thread, so I thought I'd post for the first time too. I also have a question.
These are the unlined PTB, flex sole in color 8. The Alden DC salesperson said that the shoes were first released for Leather Soul, but Alden did a special run for this shop afterward. My question is around the crease. I've only worn them in the store and at home on carpet (about 2 hours total), and they developed a crease near the big toe of each foot. There is extra material because this was the best fit I could get. The 8.5D were tight, so I went with 8.5E. The width and length are perfect, but there is quite a bit of space between my toes and the top of the shoe. I believe that's what's causing the creasing. Should I have gone with the 8.5D expecting it to stretch and not have to deal with the extra material? Is this quick creasing abnormal? Thanks for your help and for all the great advice and pics in this thread.
That creasing looks completely normal to me, even for lined shell (unlined shell supposedly creases more than lined shell). If they fit well, and it sounds like they do, then I wouldn't worry this.

Vicious49

Reaction score

Pelle Line's CXL Chukkas are on double leather soles and fully lined. The ones Harrison stocks are unlined in the front and on single leather soles. 

How do you know that about the Pelle ones? Their site gives minimal info and the color on the bottom of their sole looks more like the flex sole than a double leather sole. I googled the model number but can't find info about it anywhere else.

http://www.pelleline.com/store/product-info.php?alden_chromexel_natural_chukka_boot-pid3816.html

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are some of the best tanker makeups available? Looking for a casual tanker boot.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CJBianco -

I think many times retailers use the "Aldens are handmade - you should expect and accept these kinds of things" excuse to their benefit. I would return those wings.

When I bought my Cigar Indys from Epaulet I only had 2 other pair of Alden boots at the time. I noticed that the Indys tongue was a good deal shorter than my other boots. The tongue didn't even reach the top of the boot. When I brought this up to Epaulet, they told me this was normal. Not knowing any better, I accepted that explanation. Many pairs of Aldens later, I see that this was clearly a defect.

If I had returned the boots I likely may never have had the chance to have Cigar Indys again, and someone would have bought them anyway....

But still, we surely do pay a lot of dough for these shoes and we should expect 1st quality, at all times.

partyof6

Reaction score
That creasing looks completely normal to me, even for lined shell (unlined shell supposedly creases more than lined shell). If they fit well, and it sounds like they do, then I wouldn't worry this.

^ Those look fine to me. It is normal for these to "crease" quickly as they are unlined. Sounds like you picked the right size if they fit right in the width and length. If the ball of your foot is where it's supposed to be then you sized correctly. Enjoy!

Agreed. If you look back at the picture I posted earlier today of my #8 unlined PTB you'll see that they're creased as all hell (including the tip of the shoe). Just the nature of unlined. They only get more comfortable as you wear them!

Thanks for the reassurance, everyone. First Aldens and first shell, so I'm over-analyzing everything. Sounds like these are keepers though. Appreciate the guidance!

Vicious49

Reaction score

But still, we surely do pay a lot of dough for these shoes and we should expect 1st quality, at all times.

Agreed. That's why I sent my kudu chukkas back. The tongue on the right shoe was off center. It was skewing towards 1 side while the left shoe was fine. I had included a note that they check the replacement pair before sending it out. To oconnells credit, the guy called me and told me that the other pair was the exact same way but he definitely sees what I mean about the tongue being off. I asked for a refund since the way I figure it, if I'm paying that much for shoes they shouldn't have obvious flaws like that.

Last edited:

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are some of the best tanker makeups available? Looking for a casual tanker boot.

Color 8 Tankers from Leffot, but you might have to wait until they offer them up for pre-order again.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CJBianco -

I think many times retailers use the "Aldens are handmade - you should expect and accept these kinds of things" excuse to their benefit. I would return those wings.

When I bought my Cigar Indys from Epaulet I only had 2 other pair of Alden boots at the time. I noticed that the Indys tongue was a good deal shorter than my other boots. The tongue didn't even reach the top of the boot. When I brought this up to Epaulet, they told me this was normal. Not knowing any better, I accepted that explanation. Many pairs of Aldens later, I see that this was clearly a defect.

If I had returned the boots I likely may never have had the chance to have Cigar Indys again, and someone would have bought them anyway....

clearly it is
uhoh.gif

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Thanks for the reassurance, everyone. First Aldens and first shell, so I'm over-analyzing everything. Sounds like these are keepers though. Appreciate the guidance!

Congrats and welcome to them forum. I am glad that the thread has helped you so far. Hope you enjoy your new shoes!

-Mike

n-domino

Reaction score
How do you know that about the Pelle ones? Their site gives minimal info and the color on the bottom of their sole looks more like the flex sole than a double leather sole. I googled the model number but can't find info about it anywhere else.

http://www.pelleline.com/store/product-info.php?alden_chromexel_natural_chukka_boot-pid3816.html
Waterlock soles can be double leather.

Look at the back of both shoes. The chukkas on Harrison's site have a strip of leather on the back - just like their unlined suede versions. Pelle Line's don't. I know they don't provide pics of the back but you can tell by looking.

alden_boots2.jpg

Vicious49

Reaction score
So the strip usually means it's unlined? How can you tell if it's a double leather sole or a flex sole from the pics they've provided on the pelle site?

I'm not asking because I doubt anyone but because I want I learn for myself for future reference.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

So the strip usually means it's unlined? How can you tell if it's a double leather sole or a flex sole from the pics they've provided on the pelle site?

I'm not asking because I doubt anyone but because I want I learn for myself for future reference.

The oil infused or water lock sole is a darker color. It's more of a medium-dark brown. The regular oak tanned sole is a more tan color. (looking at the sole from the bottom of course)

Flex vs Waterlock is just a matter of single vs double (respectively) of the oil infused soles.

That what you are looking for?

-Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jogo1984