• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Sola

Reaction score

Polish, used a few times a year, helps cordovan shoes keep their color and is good for the shoes. However, if you don't want to preserve color (and want accelerated aging), just use Saphir reno a few times a year with no polish.

Perfect, thank you.

Mr Sola

Reaction score

I personally actually recommend using the Neutral Saphir Cordovan Polish after the Reno if you do not want to add Pigment to the shoe. It will help to moisturize the leather and give it a nice shine, while not "slowing" down the patina process.

-Mike

So what does the reno do that the polish doesn't?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Alright, I got my Color 8 Full-Straps last night and took a few pictures.

They look pretty good to me. They do like they were very briefly tried on, but nothing anywhere close to bothering me. Also there is a slight scratch on the top near the foxing at the back of the shoe, but nothing that a horse hair brush couldn't remove in a few strokes and not anywhere I would even see it anyways.

-Mike

coinopcollector

Reaction score

black medallion tip cap toe boot
cashmere otc

Man I really want those boots. How about we get a list together and petition Kathy in DC to get them made?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Man I really want those boots. How about we get a list together and petition Kathy in DC to get them made?

That can probably be worked. She can submit new designs in the Spring time. But a Black Shell design shouldn't be too hard. It wouldn't hurt if we could get a list of names. She is considering making me a small run of Plaza-lasted Indy's in Ravello. She already has it printed out and in her book. :)

What last did you want to do this on?

Edit: Thought I would clarify, new designs are designs her shop hasn't done before... Not necessarily new to Alden.

P.S. I would be interested in one as well. If you talk to her, just tell her Mike from San Diego. She will know who I am.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So what does the reno do that the polish doesn't?

Reno is a cleaner and conditioner of leather. The Saphir Neutral Cordovan Cream apparently assists more with moisturizing and shining.

I bought my first jar of Saphir Neutral Cordovan Cream this weekend and will be applying it to several shoes to test out some of the results. I like Saphir's black and burgundy cordovan creams.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Isachenko

Reaction score
Wow, nearly $600 for a non-cordovan makeup? Actually it will be over $600 once you include shipping from Hawaii. That's pretty crazy IMO, this must factor in some new price increases from Alden.

The price is too high I agree but they look nice, the color's great.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wish I could afford a Christmas present for myself, http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2013/12/21/alden-shoe-choco-suede-tanker-restock-lsw-ii/.
Anyone in a giving mood I take a 10.5d.

Wow, nearly $600 for a non-cordovan makeup? Actually it will be over $600 once you include shipping from Hawaii. That's pretty crazy IMO, this must factor in some new price increases from Alden.

I think there's always been a slight premium for NST.
The suede NST shoes they have are $555
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2013/09/18/alden-shoe-hampton-suede-nsts-lsw/

Shoe Mart NST CXL shoes are $545.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics