• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking boots Uncle Mac.

I want to get into boots, but the last time I tried some the shaft was really constricting on my ankles. Yours look pretty tight kinda like the way I wore mine. Maybe I'm just not a boot guy? Is there some kinda secret to them not being so tight on the ankles?

Not sure which boots exactly you've had bad experiences with, however some boots can be better than others. Really hard to tell exactly what your problem maybe. I can't personally imagine it myself, but some people may just not prefer to wear boots. Besides how you lace them and how tightly you are accustom to lacing your boots the way they've cut the tongue can also have an impact in regards to how comfortable a boot may or may not wear as well. Are there any particular styles of boots you don't mind wearing?

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

black medallion tip cap toe boot
cashmere otc

what the last? and are those shell?

patcentjin

Reaction score
You don't have to treat shell with anything. It's water resistant though fyi, not waterproof. Should be fine down in your area though.
3KL69w

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mr Sola

Reaction score
So, I'm getting ready to start my Alden shell family. I have black oxford cap toes and cigar LWB on order.

Here's my question:
If I'm looking for a more faded or aged patina on the LWB's, should I use a lighter polish?

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, I'm getting ready to start my Alden shell family. I have black oxford cap toes and cigar LWB on order.

Here's my question:
If I'm looking for a more faded or aged patina on the LWB's, should I use a lighter polish?

I kindly suggest spending some time searching the thread and googling the care of shell cordovan. You will see that you should really not polish at all. The patina comes with time. Polish is not good for cordovan.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polish, used a few times a year, helps cordovan shoes keep their color and is good for the shoes. However, if you don't want to preserve color (and want accelerated aging), just use Saphir reno a few times a year with no polish.

Mr Sola

Reaction score

I kindly suggest spending some time searching the thread and googling the care of shell cordovan. You will see that you should really not polish at all. The patina comes with time. Polish is not good for cordovan.

I've read quite a bit, especially concerning the Mac method. IIFC, he recommends polishing every 15 or so wears. I have also seen him recommend "Brown" Alden polish, which I am assuming is because it matches the original color of the shoe.

My questions is: If I want the shoe to develop a lighter patina should I choose a a lighter polish?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads