• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm then perhaps it was another pair. I had the high bid at $66.00 and then in the last four or five minutes it jumped up to the high one hundreds. Perhaps it was a different pair. I often wonder if I'm competing against my fellow forum mates on the bay.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well you can sit back behind your screen and make broad assumptions about how other people are messing up without basing it on anything of substance, but the two pictures you posted probably contradict what you are trying to say so I will post your own pictures:

cd2d4bdb_4185a54a_DSCF0939.jpeg

9b1c8bb4_fa7ac13e_1.jpeg

It seems both of the catastrophic life events that you were forced to endure were in the inside of the shoes between the heel and the toe box. Really? REALLY? Who the eff sees that part of the shoe? Are you wearing these or taking them onto the subway and licking them?

My post of the PTB with the vertical line does not mention anything about whether the imperfection is man made or natural. I was simply giving an example of a first that I didn't think passed as a first, which is a critique of QC that I think I am qualified to evaluate, and that does not require any specialized knowledge as long as I wasn't claiming how the imperfection occurred (which I did not up until this point).

I only began speculating about man made vs. natural in response to YOUR reply, asking "LOL! Are the "flaws" you mention really Alden or is it a characteristic of shell?" Perhaps you weren't really asking the question and were being sarcastic? Forgive me if I didn't pick up on that. After all, you called me a "special flower" at one point in this exchange.

As for your second paragraph, I made a point of saying "I'm sure all Alden shells have some degree of imperfection, and you kind of have to decide where you draw the line." If you would accept the imperfections I posted as first quality, then your line is more lenient than mine. I'm fine with that.

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm then perhaps it was another pair. I had the high bid at $66.00 and then in the last four or five minutes it jumped up to the high one hundreds. Perhaps it was a different pair. I often wonder if I'm competing against my fellow forum mates on the bay.

I'm sure fellow thread followers unknowingly compete on ebay routinely. I think I picked up those suede PTBs back in December. They are 10.5D. They were buy it now for a long while and I sent a message offering a significantly lower number and was surprised the next day.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My post of the PTB with the vertical line does not mention anything about whether the imperfection is man made or natural. I was simply giving an example of a first that I didn't think passed as a first, which is a critique of QC that I think I am qualified to evaluate, and that does not require any specialized knowledge as long as I wasn't claiming how the imperfection occurred (which I did not up until this point).

I only began speculating about man made vs. natural in response to YOUR reply, asking "LOL! Are the "flaws" you mention really Alden or is it a characteristic of shell?" Perhaps you weren't really asking the question and were being sarcastic? Forgive me if I didn't pick up on that. After all, you called me a "special flower" at one point in this exchange.

As for your second paragraph, I made a point of saying "I'm sure all Alden shells have some degree of imperfection, and you kind of have to decide where you draw the line." If you would accept the imperfections I posted as first quality, then your line is more lenient than mine. I'm fine with that.

Let me know when you start your own company. There was nothing wrong in either of the pictures that would prevent them from being first quality, but if you feel that way then please move on up to EG and you will not have to worry about it. :nodding:

monologuist

Reaction score

Does anyone have these plain toe boots? Saw them on Unionmade. Really liking them.
a2ymeges.jpg
I have them and they are fantastic...maybe my favorite casual boots. They're even better in person. Mine came with tan laces which give them a different vibe...a bit sunnier as it brings out the tan tones. Basically an Indy minus the toe stitching but more versatile IMO.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Does anyone have these plain toe boots? Saw them on Unionmade. Really liking them.
a2ymeges.jpg
I have them and they are fantastic...maybe my favorite casual boots. They're even better in person. Mine came with tan laces which give them a different vibe...a bit sunnier as it brings out the tan tones. Basically an Indy minus the toe stitching but more versatile IMO.

Thanks for the input, mono. I really am liking these. I dunno how I missed these before. I think I'm going to pick these up for the fall. Are these relatively readily available? Or should I jump on them if I find my size!

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can't wait for these to be reordered. Spoke with Steven today and he said probably not until next Summer. So sharp!

I'm hoping I can preorder an odd size on these next time. I asked Steven last year and he said they couldn't take special requests for anything other than D widths. But most of their recent pre-orders have a new section built in to their website where they seem to be able to take special size requests.

Has anyone successfully used this order form to get something other than a standard size made?

monologuist

Reaction score

Thanks for the input, mono. I really am liking these. I dunno how I missed these before. I think I'm going to pick these up for the fall. Are these relatively readily available? Or should I jump on them if I find my size!

Here's a pic of them with tan laces:

They seem to get restocked once or twice a year, but usually go quickly.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Based on only one experience I would say no. Just received the wrong shoes from J Crew today but had to stare at them and inspect them for about 1/2 hr anyway. The left shoe seemed fine while the right shoe had a total of 9 holes not punched.

Is JCrew's customer service better then Alden's own retailers? If I do buy shell from Alden, I will probably buy from BB just because I had good experience with BB, but then my choices are pretty limited I guess...

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is JCrew's customer service better then Alden's own retailers? If I do buy shell from Alden, I will probably buy from BB just because I had good experience with BB, but then my choices are pretty limited I guess...
One of the main benefits with J Crew is you can make your return at any local store, rather than have to send them back at your expense. A negative with them (and any retailer in your state) is the darn sales tax. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads