• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey gents,
I'm an avid Barrie last guy with the hopes of transitioning into a Plaza last shoe... I'm normally a 10.5D and have done a little research and found that I may have to size up to 11D in the Plaza, is this the norm for most? I hope I can pull off Plaza, seems narrow as hell.

I size up from 10D in Barrie to 10.5D in Plaza; I definitely think that is the general consensus. I don't know how you find the Barrie, but for me, the D is a little too wide, although a C width doesn't really work much better for me. But the 10.5D in Plaza is a great fit and a great look as well. I think you should be good if you size up .5 in Plaza.

HorseHide

Reaction score
Dirty little secret - I've been cleaning shells with a damp cloth followed by buffing with a torn up piece of towel for 20+ years (learned it from a shoeshine guy that polished my father's Aldens - he started wearing Alden shells in the 50s/60s). Do I have a horsehide brush? Sure. Do I use it? Can't remember when.

Rule of thumb - if you are scratching your shells using a horsehide brush, you're brushing too hard.

Renalan

Reaction score
Personally I brush the **** out of my shoes pretty hard (reasonably hard?) then I hit them with the buffing cloth.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dirty little secret - I've been cleaning shells with a damp cloth followed by buffing with a torn up piece of towel for 20+ years (learned it from a shoeshine guy that polished my father's Aldens - he started wearing Alden shells in the 50s/60s). Do I have a horsehide brush? Sure. Do I use it? Can't remember when.
Rule of thumb - if you are scratching your shells using a horsehide brush, you're brushing too hard.

I'm in pretty good shape yet I am not strong enough to scratch shell with a horsehide brush. :deadhorse:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I love this shoe but am not crazy about commando soles.  However, I'm tired of avoiding wearing my leather soled shoes bc of rain or wet weather.  So I'm thinking these could be a solid shoe for mixed weather conditions.  I'd probably wear these more than anything else I have. (the color 8 makes them even more appealing)  the alternative is to find a pair of rubber overshoes.

tingley at a cost of 20 dollars-the best protection for your shoes

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

After many months of lurking and getting a wealth of information from the thread, I donned my first pair of shells this morning coutresy of NRO. Despite the negative feedback often found on the thread, I had a great experience with them. The 30% discount during the olympics helped me pull the trigger and they arrived in about 2 weeks.  I read that the smell of new shell was amazing, but was blown away when I opened the box. I can tell that it will not be my last shell purchase as I already love my #8 chukkas. Thanks to all!
I love this shoe but am not crazy about commando soles.  However, I'm tired of avoiding wearing my leather soled shoes bc of rain or wet weather.  So I'm thinking these could be a solid shoe for mixed weather conditions.  I'd probably wear these more than anything else I have. (the color 8 makes them even more appealing)  the alternative is to find a pair of rubber overshoes.

tingley at a cost of 20 dollars-the best protection for your shoes

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

After many months of lurking and getting a wealth of information from the thread, I donned my first pair of shells this morning coutresy of NRO. Despite the negative feedback often found on the thread, I had a great experience with them. The 30% discount during the olympics helped me pull the trigger and they arrived in about 2 weeks.  I read that the smell of new shell was amazing, but was blown away when I opened the box. I can tell that it will not be my last shell purchase as I already love my #8 chukkas. Thanks to all!

enjoy wearing
it should be noted that 'SHELL IS VERY ADDICTIVE"

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hey gents,
I'm an avid Barrie last guy with the hopes of transitioning into a Plaza last shoe... I'm normally a 10.5D and have done a little research and found that I may have to size up to 11D in the Plaza, is this the norm for most? I hope I can pull off Plaza, seems narrow as hell.

I have a foot on the wide side of D, so I wear 10.5E and 11D Barrie. I visited Alden of DC and the gentleman there was kind enough to let me try on the Plaza while I was buying a pair of NSTs and I needed either 11.5D or 11E. I just walked around the shop a little, of course, and the 11.5D seemed to work. Didn't feel too long. The NST on the Aberdeen is also and 11.5D and that seems to work too.

So, yes, I think you might want to try 11D.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just wanted to say I used the mac method on a pair of cigar ptbs and it really works.  Will continue.  Amazing how no products are used.  

post picture

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Still wearing on carpet until they are broken in a bit......giving my best Uncle Mac (non-OTC) impersonation today. I love how the #8 to go with just about anything....charcoal yesterday and khaki today.....jeans this weekend if it cools off enough.

looking well

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

nephew,
i have been brushing with a horse hair shoe brush for 50+ years and i had never had the issue of brushing too hard

amftx

Reaction score

Hey gents,

If possible I'd suggest trying Plaza on first. I am a wider "D" or skinny "E" and Barrie 9D fits me quite well. I recently got my first Plaza and sized up to 9.5. The overall fit is well but there is a bit of room in the heel and I am experiencing some slippage. I wonder now if a 9D would suit me better in Plaza as well.

Plaza is actually not a narrow last at least from what I can tell. I was very surprised and happy with the width. The heel is a bit roomy though.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey gents,

Up a half size or out one width. (you being a 10.5D could go 11D or 10.5E) is often the way to go when compared to the Barrie. Some people do both depending on your socks etc.

Last edited:

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ravello LHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads