• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have pics of their Indy on the Barrie last? Curious as to how the stitching looks vis a vis on the TruBalance.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cigar indy on barrie
Took a quick visit to Alden SF today at lunchtime. Had the cigar indy on Barrie in my size. Tried it on. Perfection. Would have gotten it if I didn't just get another shell in cigar recently. Just as FYI. Was definitely on Barrie last.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey gents,
I'm an avid Barrie last guy with the hopes of transitioning into a Plaza last shoe... I'm normally a 10.5D and have done a little research and found that I may have to size up to 11D in the Plaza, is this the norm for most? I hope I can pull off Plaza, seems narrow as hell.

Me
Barrie 9D
Plaza 9.5D

Both fit well.

closerlook

Reaction score
cigar indy on barrie
Took a quick visit to Alden SF today at lunchtime.  Had the cigar indy on Barrie in my size.  Tried it on.  Perfection.  Would have gotten it if I didn't just get another shell in cigar recently.  Just as FYI.  Was definitely on Barrie last.  

the barrie toe box is not as bulbous.
you might be right, but I would still insist its the tru-b.

later i will post my tankers on the barrie as a comparison.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unlined #8 PTBs today.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the barrie toe box is not as bulbous.
you might be right, but I would still insist its the tru-b.
later i will post my tankers on the barrie as a comparison.

Just curious - what did the SA (or manager) say as to the last? Or are we not willing to defer to the SA/manager on this one?

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ SA said it was barrie, several times. I was expecting TB. So, I asked. Asked again, then tried it on. Felt like a barrie, but who knows, toe is too "bulbous" to be barrie. Couldn't it be the angle tho, I pressed my iphone pretty close to take the pic...

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My personal brushing method is brush enthusiastically for a good while, and then, at the end of focusing on a certain area, I brush circularly, very lightly. Otherwise, the horsehair leaves little lines in the oils raised by brushing. If you buff after brushing, you probably don't have to worry about this.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ SA said it was barrie, several times.  I was expecting TB.  So, I asked.  Asked again, then tried it on.  Felt like a barrie, but who knows, toe is too "bulbous" to be barrie.  Couldn't it be the angle tho, I pressed my iphone pretty close to take the pic...

The store manager just emailed me. It is the Barrie.

BTW, said store manager - Jim - is great to deal with.

closerlook

Reaction score
^ SA said it was barrie, several times.  I was expecting TB.  So, I asked.  Asked again, then tried it on.  Felt like a barrie, but who knows, toe is too "bulbous" to be barrie.  Couldn't it be the angle tho, I pressed my iphone pretty close to take the pic...

The store manager just emailed me. It is the Barrie.

BTW, said store manager - Jim - is great to deal with.

yeah, Jim is great.
the whole staff there is pretty awesome.

I once bought a pair of wingtip boots from alden nyc which they told me repeatedly was on the grant last. not long after, i went back to talk about the fit and they told me they were they had been misinformed by the factory and they are on the barrie.

HorseHide

Reaction score

Rule of thumb - if you are scratching your shells using a horsehair brush, you're brushing too hard.

I dunno if any of you guys have experienced this, but I may have horsehair brushed a little too hard. I was getting slight scratch/dotted marks from the hair bristles that aren't buffing out :(

To all that commented on my post about brushing too hard - I was responding to the post above (what I should have added is in all my years I've never seen anyone scratch shell using a horsehair brush)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads