• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLEFORUM MEETUP - Styleforum and Epaulet at Alfargo's Market NYC (9/27 and 9/28)

This Friday and Saturday night, please join Styleforum and Epaulet at the esteemed Alfargo's Marketplace. It will take place at the Neue House on 25th Street and Park Ave. Everyone is welcome. Check out our Alpaca Project and have beverage on us.

Details can be found here

Fok and the Styleforum Team and Epaulet.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

slows2k

Reaction score
Been toying with picking up some darker LHS to complement the snuff version I have, since I wanted something darker too. Had a pair of color 8 I let go because I was never happy with the fit but love the suede versions. I considered the brown CXL, 17831F, but have no idea how they look worn-in; they seem to be rarely posted here. I had a pair of CXL Indys for some years that looked amazing as they aged, esp since the color became more red with time, but wondered if the CXL would look good in worn in on the LHS.

I am not a fan of some makeups in CXL but keep coming back to the way the LHS look in it. Anyone have these and can comment?

CLH03

Reaction score
Been toying with picking up some darker LHS to complement the snuff version I have, since I wanted something darker too. Had a pair of color 8 I let go because I was never happy with the fit but love the suede versions. I considered the brown CXL, 17831F, but have no idea how they look worn-in; they seem to be rarely posted here. I had a pair of CXL Indys for some years that looked amazing as they aged, esp since the color became more red with time, but wondered if the CXL would look good in worn in on the LHS.

I am not a fan of some makeups in CXL but keep coming back to the way the LHS look in it. Anyone have these and can comment?
They will look as good or better than the 403. Have seen these really worn in, they look really great. Definitely recommend if you can get your hands on it. One of the softest shoes you can find.

slows2k

Reaction score
They will look as good or better than the 403. Have seen these really worn in, they look really great. Definitely recommend if you can get your hands on it. One of the softest shoes you can find.
That's kind of what Im hoping for: something akin to the sneaker equivalent of nicer shoe. My snuff LHS are close but I loved never worrying about the CXL on the Indys at all. I dont baby alden suede but I am a little more careful than with other leathers.

Anyone have a pics of theirs? Finding pics of non-brand new ones is surprisingly difficult.

jellyroller

Reaction score

I’m currently sitting here in my snuff suede LHS debating if I should buy a pair of dark brown suede LHS.

tuna roll

Reaction score
I don't have any suede LHS (fit is not ideal for me) but I do have a pair of snuff suede tassel loafers and another idential pair but in dark brown suede (both Spigola).

My 2 cents: I wear both a lot. IMO snuff goes well with more casual clothes (jeans, chinos) and also lighter colored trousers (cream, taupe, white). Dark brown goes well with mid colored and darker trousers (charcoal, brown, grey) and look a bit smarter.

Snuff and dark brown seem to overlap but if you already have one and find yourself wearing it a lot, you may find the other actually quite complementary.

jellyroller

Reaction score
I don't have any suede LHS (fit is not ideal for me) but I do have a pair of snuff suede tassel loafers and another idential pair but in dark brown suede (both Spigola).

My 2 cents: I wear both a lot. IMO snuff goes well with more casual clothes (jeans, chinos) and also lighter colored trousers (cream, taupe, white). Dark brown goes well with mid colored and darker trousers (charcoal, brown, grey) and look a bit smarter.

Snuff and dark brown seem to overlap but if you already have one and find yourself wearing it a lot, you may find the other actually quite complementary.

I find myself wearing my snuff LHS pair all the time. They’re extremely comfortable and smarten up a casual outfit without being overstated. I’ll probably pick up a pair of dark brown suede LHS but the C&J Harvard in dark brown suede is also a contender. I’d say the Harvard fits me better (I have three pair already, lol) but I find myself reaching for the Aldens more often.

slows2k

Reaction score
I’m currently sitting here in my snuff suede LHS debating if I should buy a pair of dark brown suede LHS.
Dark brown suede is where I started my thoughts, then I moved to cxl because it’s even more casual and less necessary to take care of. I think there may be a place for both in the future. I wear my snuff lhs constantly. After putting them on I literally never think “maybe something else would work better”. They always work.

Maybe I should just buy a second pair of snuff haha.

jellyroller

Reaction score
Dark brown suede is where I started my thoughts, then I moved to cxl because it’s even more casual and less necessary to take care of. I think there may be a place for both in the future. I wear my snuff lhs constantly. After putting them on I literally never think “maybe something else would work better”. They always work.

Maybe I should just buy a second pair of snuff haha.

I know what you mean. When I bought my snuff LHS, I had no reason to think they’d get any more wear than any other pair in my collection. Now, I find myself wearing them at least once a week, and almost any time I wear jeans or a smart casual outfit with shorts.

pb1338

Reaction score
IMG_3478.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kateher65