• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After 2 years, I finally have my own (temporary) desk at work.

IMG_4484.jpeg
IMG_4485.jpeg

CLH03

Reaction score
Has anybody had Alden do their re-soles/restoration recently? I see that they're cheaper than my local guy..but with the hassle of having to ship them off from Europe. My cobbler does it for around $250 but that's with taps and toppies put on at the same time. I'm guessing Alden might do taps (does anyone know?) but most likely not toppies..so I'd probably have pay out an extra $50 to my guy here anyways or so if I wanted toppies. Is having Alden do them on the last really all that big of an advantage? The included trees and bags seem to be an advantage..but I'm pretty sure they're not lasted trees..and I have plenty of regular trees and shoe bags at home anyways (to include the original shoe bags).

Alden offers free shipping..but I'm guessing that's US only.

Back in the day..like over a decade ago..I heard Alden didn't accept shoes that had been worked on elsewhere? Has anyone else heard this? And also they were apt to refuse shoes that weren't well cared for?

Of course I'll contact Alden themselves with the questions as well. Just wondering from the client perspective.

Either which way. I'd appreciate hearing of anyone's recent experience with Alden restoration.

Thanks in advance.
Alden will only resole exactly how the shoes were made. No topys, no taps, etc.

Last edited:

JTMD

Reaction score
Alden will only resolve exactly how the shoes were made. No topys, no taps, etc.
Thanks for the response..yeah..I figured topys were out..just as they are most places..but taps as well..that's a bit disappointing to hear. Wonder why that is. I've sent other brands to the factory for resoles and don't remember being refused taps. Oh well. Seems just using my cobbler is the quickest and easiest. No international shipping and does the job from start to finish (both of which lower the overall cost). He might get them back to me quicker as well.

Seems the only advantage to Alden restoration is that they do it on the last..which sounds nice..just have to wonder how much of an improvement putting it on the last really is.

Thanks again.

CLH03

Reaction score
Thanks for the response..yeah..I figured topys were out..just as they are most places..but taps as well..that's a bit disappointing to hear. Wonder why that is. I've sent other brands to the factory for resoles and don't remember being refused taps. Oh well. Seems just using my cobbler is the quickest and easiest. No international shipping and does the job from start to finish (both of which lower the overall cost). He might get them back to me quicker as well.

Seems the only advantage to Alden restoration is that they do it on the last..which sounds nice..just have to wonder how much of an improvement putting it on the last really is.

Thanks again.
Yeah I think that they limit it to the original sole and welt because anything outside of that scope and you’re taking away the advantage the retailers have over designing their own makeups. As far as taps goes idk why they don’t offer it. For a little less than $200 though it’s not a terrible deal

JTMD

Reaction score
Yeah I think that they limit it to the original sole and welt because anything outside of that scope and you’re taking away the advantage the retailers have over designing their own makeups. As far as taps goes idk why they don’t offer it. For a little less than $200 though it’s not a terrible deal
The price is indeed quite reasonable..if you're located in the US where Alden pays shipping costs. Not sure what additional cost on that will be for international shipping though. I'm guessing Alden isn't paying for transatlantic shipping and sending a standard package one way to the US from my end alone would be $55. If I'm paying both ways that's an extra $110. My cobbler charges $100 for toppies and taps. So we're up to $410..versus $250 for my cobbler to just do it here.

I e-mailed Alden..so I guess I'll find out their preferred procedure soon enough.

Thanks again

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You use all that on your shells and strip them for welts? I've only ever used a brush and saphir cordovan creme on all of mine. And I've never stripped or recolored them for any reason..nor have I used waterproofing. Could I ask you to post some photos of your results? Perhaps I've been doing it wrong but your method seems rather extreme. I've always thought products were best avoided when it comes to shell cordovan versus a brush and elbow grease. Most of the time I find welts can just be brushed out with effort (empasis on effort). If needed a bit of creme takes them right out..at least that's my experience with my shells. Perhaps there has been recent developments in products for shell that I'm unaware of? I also thought shell was pretty much a naturally highly water resistant leather..so no need for waterproofing..and that waterproofing shell wasn't generally recommended. But again. Times change..and perhaps I'm just behind the times?
What do you mean? I’ve used Renomat in the past to knock down the top coats so that I can wet them. That’s how you get rid of them. I think I remember hearing this from Nick Horween. Anyway, then you have to condition and put back the color back on. Then whatever else one would want to put on them. Are you suggesting people can simply brush out rain welts lol? Now I just use leather defender and Venetian shoe cream and I don’t get welts. Deer bone to tame unsightly rolls…

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Todd Snyder milkshake Indys are low key one of the great Indy makeups. It's the brown eyelets and laces.

They're by far my absolute favorite Indy makeups, and they'll probably be my *only* pair of Indys. I like the Indy, but my closet is full the price is just too high to justify for me anymore. Maybe I'd get a pair of secondhand of 405s just to say I have a pair, but $700 is getting expensive.

They really are the something though. I absolutely love everything about them.

JTMD

Reaction score
What do you mean? I’ve used Renomat in the past to knock down the top coats so that I can wet them. That’s how you get rid of them. I think I remember hearing this from Nick Horween. Anyway, then you have to condition and put back the color back on. Then whatever else one would want to put on them. Are you suggesting people can simply brush out rain welts lol? Now I just use leather defender and Venetian shoe cream and I don’t get welts. Deer bone to tame unsightly rolls…
I'm not "suggesting" that rain welts can be brushed out. I'm straight out stating it as fact. I've done it. I know plenty of other shell wearers that do it. Horween even states so on their website. I have never used renovateur, stripped, and recolored my shells after getting rain welts. At most a bit of saphir creme after brushing.

Photos are from a long time collegue on AAAC

1st photo before brushing...2nd photo shows the left after a few minutes of brushing. 3rd photo after about 10 minutes brushing per shoe. 4th photo from Horween website (nowhere does it mention renovateur versus brushing)
3D2EF9BC-FAD7-4789-B7DD-BA7655DA800A.jpeg
436EE027-AC00-4B61-8232-C0528974BEFF.jpeg
7AB3BAAF-D69F-4C31-B6C7-E1CEE06D79A4.jpeg

Screenshot_20240329_015825_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried Alden Leather Defender and it doesn't do much. I still apply them to all my new boots cause I enjoy the process and the smell is nice, plus, I got so many for free from Alden dealers that I gotta use it up somehow.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not "suggesting" that rain welts can be brushed out. I'm straight out stating it as fact. I've done it. I know plenty of other shell wearers that do it. Horween even states so on their website. I have never used renovateur, stripped, and recolored my shells after getting rain welts. At most a bit of saphir creme after brushing.

Photos are from a long time collegue on AAAC

1st photo before brushing...2nd photo shows the left after a few minutes of brushing. 3rd photo after about 10 minutes brushing per shoe. 4th photo from Horween website (nowhere does it mention renovateur versus brushing) View attachment 2157579 View attachment 2157581 View attachment 2157583
View attachment 2157585
I’ll be damned then that’s a remarkable transformation! A little blurry but I can see those were trashed before -damn that’s just unbelievable. It’s been years since I discovered leather defender and have been a loyal user since. But I can tell you mine did not respond to 10 minutes of brushing and a little shoe cream lol. It was a multi day “project”.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried Alden Leather Defender and it doesn't do much. I still apply them to all my new boots cause I enjoy the process and the smell is nice, plus, I got so many for free from Alden dealers that I gotta use it up somehow.
Really? That’s so weird. I swear by that shtuff. Nano for suede and defender for shells. Lil Venetian for shells if they look dry. Bone for rolls and horsehair brush before and after wear. I used Renomat once for that project and have colored creams but they’re probably crumbly cuz I haven’t opened em in years.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? That’s so weird. I swear by that shtuff. Nano for suede and defender for shells. Lil Venetian for shells if they look dry. Bone for rolls and horsehair brush before and after wear. I used Renomat once for that project and have colored creams but they’re probably crumbly cuz I haven’t opened em in years.
All my shell gets Renovateur and then Leather Defender. I follow the directions on the bottle and never works for me :puzzled:

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All my shell gets Renovateur and then Leather Defender. I follow the directions on the bottle and never works for me :puzzled:
That’s crazy. We should do poll on what works and what doesn’t. Pen trick never worked for me but others swear by it. Also, anything more than a couple minutes of brushing is hyperbole imo lol. I must have some strange shell gods I’m beholden to. I’m definitely a bone guy though lmao

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, my understanding is that renomat is kind of a harsh stripper but renovateur is more of a conditioner. Two different products.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads