• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

jellyroller

Reaction score
Been awhile since I've purchased Alden's. I sort of moved on to "bigger and better"..but that's not to say the 6 pairs of Alden's in my collection of 50 some pairs don't see regular use. My shell George boots and medallion cap toe derbies (both in 8) were amongst my first purchases and are still going strong after about 15 years...and then I'm walking past a shop today and see short wings and plain toe derbies (both in 8 again) on sale at half price for $495. Of course I don't have much choice but to purchase them..but part of me wishes I had more restraint and just put the money on those Edward Green Galways I've been contemplating the past few years.. but how often do you find Alden shell at such a price point..and I'm sure they'll get some good use anyways.. not as if I expect EG to discontinue one of their best sellers anytime soon anyways. View attachment 2152487 View attachment 2152489
Half off shell PTBs… if only I were so lucky!

adrs1157

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked/answered before, but I haven't found any definitive information in my searches.

In comparing size/fit of flat vs storm welts, do the flat welts tend to fit smaller than storm welt?
I haven't noticed a difference between my flat welted vs storm welted boots.

tuna roll

Reaction score
Don’t wear these nearly as often as I should. Admittedly it’s because I’m not a fan of the leisure sole. What are y’all’s preferences for more supportive/tougher soles for suede chukkas?
are you planning on having them resoled, or just buying a new pair with different soles?

I have a pair of Chukkas with the single leather soles. Super comfortable but I’d prefer a bit more material under my feet as well. I’m thinking about resoling them with either double leather or crepe.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
are you planning on having them resoled, or just buying a new pair with different soles?

I have a pair of Chukkas with the single leather soles. Super comfortable but I’d prefer a bit more material under my feet as well. I’m thinking about resoling them with either double leather or crepe.
Resole. I’d lose much more selling and re-buying.

So I’m thinking double leather, dr sole, or maybe a vibram wedge of some sort.

JTMD

Reaction score
Half off shell PTBs… if only I were so lucky!
No doubt a great find..and I'm looking forward to getting them on the pavement (I took both after discussing it with my rather patient wife). Alden is a rare brand where I live and I happen to regularly walk past the only store that sells them. Other than a pair of Alden for Brooks Brothers shell short wings, all my Aldens have come from there..and always around 50% off. And that's not a complaint.. but purchasing on sale/ clearance kind on limits your options. I have about 15 pairs of shell Cordovan from seversl different manufacturers..but other than a pair of cognac monks from Carmina and a couple blacks, everything is a version of burgundy. I rarely see Cigar, Ravello, Whiskey, Cognac, etc..and I'm sure not picking it up for $500 (Alden shell is closer to $1'000 in my location whereas it seems closer to $900 in the US nowadays?). Of course there's a huge difference between Cleverly saddles, Reiter Moc toes, and AE tassel loafers, and Alden PTBs/George boots/wings/etc..but they are all burgundy.. and my boot collection is rather on the weak side compared to shoes..but..end of the day..no complaints versus general thoughts on the matter. If I really wanted to I'm sure I could make a case for going and getting a couple EG boots..but it is easier showing my wife a good deal at $500 than a full price pair of EGs at $1'500.

Weldy

Reaction score
Happy Thursday forum gang. Sub 30 weather calling for them Indies
IMG_4295.jpeg

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Magnolia trees are just blooming near me. Your's are already done? oh... nice boots by the way..good ankle protection for flower petals. 😅

We’ve had gale winds the past couple days and below freezing temperatures last night. That brings the petals down early.

You need grippy soles when going over magnolia petals. Those things are slippery!

djbanor

Reaction score
Has anyone here utilized La Rossa's free resole before?
I have, for a pair of C&J boots. They did an excellent job and the resole is going strong two years hence. IIRC I had to pay shipping both ways.

They also resoled one of their Alden SMUs from a wedge sole to Commando for me. This wasn't free, but, given the quality of the work, I doubt I'll ever send any of my shoes directly to Alden again. LaRossa will let you specify exactly what you want -- change of sole, no work on the uppers, etc.

I highly recommend them.

JTMD

Reaction score
My purchase of a couple new Alden shells yesterday got me back in the shoe hobbyist mood. It's been a few years since I was on the forums so somehow I ended up unboxing/unbagging/inspecting pretty much everything in my closet.

Alden 2nd row back.

20240322_140309.jpg

20240322_141053.jpg

20240322_141255.jpg

Attachments

• 20240322_140856.jpg
    20240322_140856.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240322_141016.jpg
    20240322_141016.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 56

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads