• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JTMD

Reaction score
That's one hell of a view you have there
Well..I wouldn't mind knocking down a few of the buildings.. lol...they're not really in the way though.. and I get good views far left (east) and right (west) as well so definitely some gorgeous sunrises and sunsets over the lake and mountains. Lower cloud formations are quite visually pleasing as well.

Sometimes I hate to admit it but it's a damn good location overall (it was my father in-laws idea...I was looking elsewhere). Beyond the view, we're less than 10 minutes to the city center in one direction and a highly ranked university in the other (by metro which is less than a 5 minute walk). The lake is 10-15 minutes by foot through a rather lovely park. I was raised with the whole house/yard/automobile suburbs lifestyle and now I'm a flat dwelling, public transport using city slicker. Takes a bit of getting used to. As much as I'd love to be in the mountains, reality is there isn't much around and we'd be doing a lot of driving for the kids' schools/music/sports/activities/etc.

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My purchase of a couple new Alden shells yesterday got me back in the shoe hobbyist mood. It's been a few years since I was on the forums so somehow I ended up unboxing/unbagging/inspecting pretty much everything in my closet.

Alden 2nd row back.

View attachment 2153813

View attachment 2153825

View attachment 2153819

Well..I wouldn't mind knocking down a few of the buildings.. lol...they're not really in the way though.. and I get good views far left (east) and right (west) as well so definitely some gorgeous sunrises and sunsets over the lake and mountains. Lower cloud formations are quite visually pleasing as well.

Sometimes I hate to admit it but it's a damn good location overall (it was my father in-laws idea...I was looking elsewhere). Beyond the view, we're less than 10 minutes to the city center in one direction and a highly ranked university in the other (by metro which is less than a 5 minute walk). The lake is 10-15 minutes by foot through a rather lovely park. I was raised with the whole house/yard/automobile suburbs lifestyle and now I'm a flat dwelling, public transport using city slicker. Takes a bit of getting used to. As much as I'd love to be in the mountains, reality is there isn't much around and we'd be doing a lot of driving for the kids' schools/music/sports/activities/etc.

Dude! No words. Ok, two. Freakin amazing. Dang, life is good……

JTMD

Reaction score
That's one hell of a view you have there

Dude! No words. Ok, two. Freakin amazing. Dang, life is good……
Well..you know the old saying..

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do"..😅.

I might not have a collection of mansions, a fleet of private jets, and yachts in numerous countries.. but yeah..life is pretty good for a kid coming from Chicago's middle class suburbia 😁

Weldy

Reaction score
Well..you know the old saying..

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do"..😅.

I might not have a collection of mansions, a fleet of private jets, and yachts in numerous countries.. but yeah..life is pretty good for a kid coming from Chicago's middle class suburbia 😁
Adding to what has been mentioned but incredible views and great Alden’s!!

To me, these are just perfection.

Who's make up is this?
Thank you sir, agreed they are great. Just from Curtis and the boys at AoM https://aldenmadison.com/products/indy-boot-w-cork-sole-br-color-8-shell-cordovan-br-40538h

JTMD

Reaction score
Just for those that might be interested.. Beyond aesthics, here's another reason some are opposed to exposed eyelets .

When I was in the Army we had something that we colored in the eyelets. Might have just been edge dressing. But most people here probably don't have to worry about worn off paint versus..oxidation
20240322_090751.jpg

One of my first purchases after venturing into the world of decent shoes. Black shell short wing oxfords from Alden for Brooks Brothers. They were on clearance and temptation got the better of me but they eventually fell out of favor and have been languishing bagged and boxed in the back of my closet the past few years (and I use the term "few" loosely as it's been well over 5 years since I've worn them.

Attachments

• 20240322_090742.jpg
    20240322_090742.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 2012-05-24 15.26.42_zpswjk3cist.jpg
    2012-05-24 15.26.42_zpswjk3cist.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 2nd or 3rd wear of these Ravello beauties from our friends at B&M. First wear since I had the double leather converted to commando. Maiden voyage eligible?

image.jpg image.jpg

Happy Saturday gang. Have a great weekend!

wolfdale

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I’m thrift shopping in Japan and I found these Alden 99162 for USD 300. Apparently this is a 986 especially made for the Japan market, with a higher vamp. What do you think of the state of the leather and of the soles?

Are the soles due a replacing or should i just add brass to the tip? Do you think I paid a fair price? And any idea what color this is? Im assuming a very faded color 8

Thanks guys!! IMG_1826.jpeg IMG_1828.jpeg IMG_1831.jpeg IMG_1833.jpeg IMG_1838.jpeg IMG_1836.jpeg IMG_1816.jpeg

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just for those that might be interested.. Beyond aesthics, here's another reason some are opposed to exposed eyelets .

When I was in the Army we had something that we colored in the eyelets. Might have just been edge dressing. But most people here probably don't have to worry about worn off paint versus..oxidation View attachment 2154211

One of my first purchases after venturing into the world of decent shoes. Black shell short wing oxfords from Alden for Brooks Brothers. They were on clearance and temptation got the better of me but they eventually fell out of favor and have been languishing bagged and boxed in the back of my closet the past few years (and I use the term "few" loosely as it's been well over 5 years since I've worn them.

You can get 99% of that oxidation off with a toothbrush and some mild cleansers. Hopefully it won’t take off the paint, but still.

FWIW, my Edward Green boots suffer from the same issues and they are much younger.

My 2nd or 3rd wear of these Ravello beauties from our friends at B&M. First wear since I had the double leather converted to commando. Maiden voyage eligible?

View attachment 2154235 View attachment 2154237

Happy Saturday gang. Have a great weekend!

Nice boots but why convert the double leather? It’s such a fantastic sole.

JTMD

Reaction score
You can get 99% of that oxidation off with a toothbrush and some mild cleansers. Hopefully it won’t take off the paint, but still.

FWIW, my Edward Green boots suffer from the same issues and they are much younger.

Nice boots but why convert the double leather? It’s such a fantastic sole.
Thank you for your response and the advice. I already took care of it yesterday and just posted the photo as a bit of show and tell to give folks something to think about before purchasing. One of those things people might not consider..like water welts on shell. No big deal in either case versus a minor annoyance...

LJ1891

Reaction score
Guys,

I’m thrift shopping in Japan and I found these Alden 99162 for USD 300. Apparently this is a 986 especially made for the Japan market, with a higher vamp. What do you think of the state of the leather and of the soles?

Are the soles due a replacing or should i just add brass to the tip? Do you think I paid a fair price? And any idea what color this is? Im assuming a very faded color 8

Thanks guys!!
they look great. good job.

rob g

Reaction score
Picked these up second hand. I'm Brannock 9.5D but with low volume foot so having too much room in the instep is often a problem for me (which is aggravated with loafers). These are 9.5C Aberdeen, and work ok. I've tried 9.5D & 9D in this style before, and both had way too much heel slip with heels popping out of the shoe with every step. This pair has a little bit of toe pinch, but I think manageable. I also picked up a pair of tan calf loafers on Copley in 9.5D, and those have a much lower vamp and fit great.

PXL_20240323_194550343.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

When I was in the Army we had something that we colored in the eyelets. Might have just been edge dressing. But most people here probably don't have to worry about worn off paint versus..oxidation View attachment 2154211

I have a pair of those same short wing oxfords only in number 8. Also purchased from BB ages ago. They suffer from the same oxidation issue. One eyelet the color came off. Only pair of shoes I have with eyelet oxidation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads