• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Youx33

Reaction score
The difference between a D and an E is about 3/16th of an inch, or ˜4.6mm wider (according to the link below, I haven't checked it). I've read other sources saying it's a small difference so I guess that makes sense.

That' not much but should alleviate any minor pinching. Hard to say if it would solve your issue, but try to see if an extra 5mm could accomodate your protuding hallux valgus.

How much room is there between your longest toe and the end of the toe box (not considering the sole / welt)? My LHS (calf) has about an inch of room (my thumb's width) and feels just right to me, with barely any heel slippage. It's the same with other lasts, but of course this is personal.

Hard to say without seeing it in person but, depending on the toe room, I'd also consider a 7E if I were you.
Thanks for this complete answer.

No room left, my longest toe is really closed to the end of the box, but never touch it. Here is the answer of alden customer service :

«
Sorry to hear. Please keep trying to wear them some more. These are suede and unlined in the toe and will stretch. I have both this pair in snuff and dk brown suede and they both have stretched out some with time.

If after another 2-3 weeks of wear and if they are still too tight, take them to a cobbler and have them stretched out a little bit but not too much. This should work to give you more room. It could be that you might need 7D instead of this size or go to a 6.5E width which is wider.

Hope these suggestions work. »

Interesting. Even if i feel that I need a bigger size, it is an option to consider as I cant return the loafers (from France).

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Well-worn Cigar NST’s for today’s adventures. About time for conditioning, brushing, and roll maintenance.

Attachments

• IMG_6140.jpeg
    IMG_6140.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 78

kmarriner

Reaction score
Whatever you go with, my thanks for starting the conversation. I come here primarily for the shoes but also for the conversation. The Alden thread is the gem of SF in no small part due to conversations like this.

Switching gears, I’m not as consistent as I once was with maintenance or I should be with brushing after each wear. For me, I leave the laces undone to remind me that maintenance is needed. For today, 3 keepers. A quick before…….

And after wiping and brushing……

Not a bit of product. Wiping and brushing. Nothing beats Alden shell. Happy Sunday gang! Have a great day.

Those Old Bronze are beautiful, not that the others aren't great but there is just something about OB.

I've been in Thailand for almost 2 weeks now, I've only been wearing my 405s due to the versatility. I did bring the 974s along for a suit fitting and will probably break those out for dinner on Friday.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Thanks to a friend living in US, i bought this nice pair of 6243f in 6.5D

Unfortunately (this is the risk of purchasing remotely..), my feet is quite compressed inside :

• lenght is limit but OK (toes are close but never touch)
  • toe box OK
  • width is tight (hallux valgus clearely visible on the pictures)
  • low general volume (height notably)
Does anyone know if this model is getting loose with time ? I wouldn't like to sell them and buy 6.5E (or 7D ??) wrongly..

Finally, do you know the difference of volume between width D and E ?

Thanks for your help
:wink:

View attachment 2143653

View attachment 2143657

View attachment 2143659
View attachment 2143661
I have 3 pairs of suede LHS, 2 in E width and 1 in D. The difference is noticeable. D is perfect for me for barefoot wear when E is a bit loose so I can feel it. But with thicker socks E is perfect. So I think you would benefit getting the E width.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was watching these. Went back to pull the trigger 15 minutes later. They were gone!! Good for you my-man. At that price, those unicorns were a steal.

Last edited:

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was watching these. Went back to pull the trigger 15 minutes later. They were gone!! Good for you my-man. At that price, those unicorns were a steal.
Thanks for that delay 🥹.For sure. I watched a pair sell through luxeswap a month or so ago for what I thought was a respectable price. When I saw these in my size I knew I couldn’t sleep on it.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No, no, no. ALWAYS pull the trigger when you see unicorns, especially at a great price. You snooze you lose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads