• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have a question re: Aldens & shell cordovan. Which shells should I be looking out for? Which ones are considered rare?

If it isn't black or color #8 (burgundy/eggplant), it is considered "rare shell" in the Alden world. So whiskey, cigar, color 4, ravello, amaretto, or natural. I am sure I am missing some other colors, but these are probably the most common "rare" colors.

Bavo

Reaction score
A7DFDB8B-EAAA-4F1A-9880-040310620797.jpeg

Happy Halloween!

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!

Yes! I wear 13 in trubalance so it's kind of challenging to find special makeups in my size. I plan to get on this pre order while I have a chance.
Hi from another US13 (D or E, both work) Indy wearer!

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it isn't black or color #8 (burgundy/eggplant), it is considered "rare shell" in the Alden world. So whiskey, cigar, color 4, ravello, amaretto, or natural. I am sure I am missing some other colors, but these are probably the most common "rare" colors.
What’s the fascination with these colors? Are they really that hard to get your hands on? And they’re rather expensive, why would someone do an Alden vs. bespoke shoemaker. Obviously bespoke is slightly more expensive, but Alden gets creepily into that really range of being so expensive, you might consider bespoke, no?

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s the fascination with these colors? Are they really that hard to get your hands on? And they’re rather expensive, why would someone do an Alden vs. bespoke shoemaker. Obviously bespoke is slightly more expensive, but Alden gets creepily into that really range of being so expensive, you might consider bespoke, no?

Where are you seeing bespoke shoes for anywhere close to Alden rare shell territory ($950-1250 depending on the retailer)?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where are you seeing bespoke shoes for anywhere close to Alden rare shell territory ($950-1250 depending on the retailer)?
I think they’re confusing bespoke with custom ordered/special make ups.
I can’t imagine bespoke under $4k

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do people think about Alden’s navy suede shoes? I’ve never owned a blue suede shoe, so I’m trying to imagine what I could pair it with. Maybe casual tailoring or chinos and a sweater?

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The materials aren’t really rare, but there are a lot of people who like Alden for many reasons (style, fits, brand loyalty) and are willing to pay the price for it. It isn’t really any more expensive than Viberg or anything like that.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do people think about Alden’s navy suede shoes? I’ve never owned a blue suede shoe, so I’m trying to imagine what I could pair it with. Maybe casual tailoring or chinos and a sweater?

I love navy suede. These are the Brogue “Elvis” shoe. I find navy suede to go with basically everything you’d wear a brown shoe with.
IMG_1972.jpeg
IMG_1790.jpeg

CLH03

Reaction score
I love mine. They’re like the navy blazer of shoes because they work with basically every color but blue pants. I wear mine with chinos/BD shirts, to flannels and a sport coat.

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The materials aren’t really rare, but there are a lot of people who like Alden for many reasons (style, fits, brand loyalty) and are willing to pay the price for it. It isn’t really any more expensive than Viberg or anything like that.
Aldens are quite a bit cheaper than Vibergs shell offerings. I purchased “rare” Aldens this week and they are nowhere near Vibergs $1500 price tag for shell.

slows2k

Reaction score
The navy suede is excellent though I think it works best in LHS, or the LWB no one makes anymore. The color really carries a casual vibe, I think. TS regularly stocks an indy boot in it that looks very nice, too.

barutanseijin

Reaction score

Blue suede is very tempting when you see it in the shop. It’s a fun color for casual outfits. The question you have to ask yourself is how fun, how wild you want to look — and how often you want to look that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads