• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going up a width is to wide for me especially in the heel and the volume is way to much. I do like my boots to fit sort of snug. My general rule is they need to be snug enough "in case you need to run for the train". When I was younger it was "in case you need to run from the cops".

A combination last would be the best for me, C heel & D toe. I understand Alden did this in the past but that was well before my obsession began.
I thought that was what the "C/D" meant, ie C heel and D toe. This is still the marking used in Aldens. Do you have reason to believe that this does not signify that a combo last was used?

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, so much information to intake for a newbie. I have been reading and reading and love the shop talk in all your experience being displayed. I am approaching my first purchase and want it to be the Indy shell #8 in TB last (as I guess they will more likely come with it) I am a TTS 12D. So what would be the best suggestion before I hate myself on getting the wrong size and blow even more money on returning a pair that didn't fit, then have to wait even longer to get the dream pair I want. Would you all say to head to a Jcrew store and try on an Indy? Does a store even let you try one on? Is that even possible?, I don't live near SanFran to get to a Alden store. Thoughts? Thanks as always in advance.
Looks like there's a place in San Diego called Gentlemen's Footwear.

http://www.gentlemensfootwear.com

Perhaps you could call them to see if they stock any Indy boots in your size for you to try on. I have no experience with this retailer since I, too, am new to Alden.

djbanor

Reaction score
I thought that was what the "C/D" meant, ie C heel and D toe. This is still the marking used in Aldens. Do you have reason to believe that this does not signify that a combo last was used?
It is in theory a combination last, but the combinations have been standardized. A/C, B/D, C/E and so on for heel/ball width measurements. I've never seen a C/D, which would in fact be a combination of C heel and D ball.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, so much information to intake for a newbie. I have been reading and reading and love the shop talk in all your experience being displayed. I am approaching my first purchase and want it to be the Indy shell #8 in TB last (as I guess they will more likely come with it) I am a TTS 12D. So what would be the best suggestion before I hate myself on getting the wrong size and blow even more money on returning a pair that didn't fit, then have to wait even longer to get the dream pair I want. Would you all say to head to a Jcrew store and try on an Indy? Does a store even let you try one on? Is that even possible?, I don't live near SanFran to get to a Alden store. Thoughts? Thanks as always in advance.
11.5D

Phangtonpower

Reaction score
My Barrie LWB 7E sits jsut perfecting right to my toes, no touching tips tho. Aberdeen 7.5D is just a tit longer n little narrower.

I also have tried AE MacNeil (new and calfskin) and I found the same tightness on my pinky toe. I ordered the same size in Alden shell Longwings and it was spacious. I would say it fit but loosely around my heel and instep. I am sure they would have worked fine with thicker socks or some sort of insert like @misterg uses, for example. I returned them and did not try the half-size down because I wasn’t ready to buy. For the price, I would want to be sure of the size and would wait until I’m traveling to a large city to find a retailer. That’s just me. Good luck!
Man this thread moves fast.

So I found a United Arrows a couple hours away that have Alden Longwings. Problem is the largest size they had was an 8.5D.

Surprised that they some what fit me. A little bit tight. Don't think I would go that small, but it made me re look at all my shoes which are mostly 10s. Since they don't use any kind of measuring system for feet here, I downloaded a printable brannock device. The length of my foot is actually 8.5 to 9, which surprised me. Double checked with all my shoes and most of them do have a lot of room from the tip of longest toe to the tip of the shoe by 1"-1.5". I guess I always went with how the ball of my foot fit in a shoe and never worried about length.

Now I have no idea what size to get :( There is another United Arrows a few a hours away. Hopefully they have more sizes :/

Last edited:

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tobacco on Commando .

20180228_114214.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man this thread moves really fast.

Man this thread moves fast.

So I found a United Arrows a couple arrows away that have Alden Longwings. Problem is the largest size they had was an 8.5D.

Surprised that they some what fit me. A little bit tight. Don't think I would go that small, but it made me re look at all my shoes which are mostly 10s. Since they don't use any kind of measuring system for feet here, I downloaded a printable brannock device. The length of my foot is actually 8.5 to 9, which surprised me. Double checked with all my shoes and most of them do have a lot of room from the tip of longest toe to the tip of the shoe by 1"-1.5". I guess I always went with how the ball of my fit in a shoe and never worried about length.

Now I have no idea what size to get :( There is another United Arrows a few a hours away. Hopefully they have more sizes :/
The total length of your foot isn't the whole story. My toes are about 10.5, but my ball measurement is more like 11.25. So, I typically wear 11s, but can make 11.5 work in a lot of models. 10.5s always crunch my little toes, though I have a lot of toe space in my shoes that do fit. I would recommend finding a skilled foot sizer to help you get the right fit.

Also, if you think this thread moves fast, stay away from the AE thread - it'll be over 700 pages for the year this week.

ScarsdaleVibe

Reaction score

I'm a 12D TTS and 11.5D in Barrie and TB fit me perfect.

That said, don't try to get rare shell in that size. It belongs to me. And by me I mean M635Guy probably got it anyway.

Phangtonpower

Reaction score
The total length of your foot isn't the whole story. My toes are about 10.5, but my ball measurement is more like 11.25. So, I typically wear 11s, but can make 11.5 work in a lot of models. 10.5s always crunch my little toes, though I have a lot of toe space in my shoes that do fit. I would recommend finding a skilled foot sizer to help you get the right fit.

Also, if you think this thread moves fast, stay away from the AE thread - it'll be over 700 pages for the year this week.
I don't think they even have professional foot sizer in Japan, at least where I live. I mean the most popular shoe that a lot of people wear are crocs.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think they even have professional foot sizer in Japan, at least where I live. I mean the most popular shoe that a lot of people wear are crocs.
Americans are extremely informal; Crocs, trainers, and crappy "dress" shoes are extremely common here as well. There's some amazing shoe designers in Japan doing RTW and bespoke, and a shoe community that ravenously buys American shoes. Though, I believe you when you say no good sales personnel are around to help you get the right size at your local shops!

DWH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is in theory a combination last, but the combinations have been standardized. A/C, B/D, C/E and so on for heel/ball width measurements. I've never seen a C/D, which would in fact be a combination of C heel and D ball.
Ah yes. I would love to customize a narrower heel for my LHS on Van. I suppose I should just go with a smaller size in unlined suede and let it stretch to the right fit. Anyone tried this?

Phangtonpower

Reaction score
Americans are extremely informal; Crocs, trainers, and crappy "dress" shoes are extremely common here as well. There's some amazing shoe designers in Japan doing RTW and bespoke, and a shoe community that ravenously buys American shoes. Though, I believe you when you say no good sales personnel are around to help you get the right size at your local shops!
I have no doubt their are great designers here, but those communities are so small, and way out of my price range. Aldens go for $1200 here, but will sit at stores for a very long time. I've been watching yahoo auctions here, Japanese ebay, and shoes just sit.

I have a cousin coming next year and he could bring me a pair of Aldens that I'm looking at. I want to get it right because they charge a 40% import tax if shipped by mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads