• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The curse of "duck feet", wide at the ball of the foot and very slim at the heel with a low instep. If I go for more width than my heel will be swimming. All my running shoes and sneakers eventually blow out at the pinkie toe. Barrie is actually a good fit for me with no discomfort at the toe. Plaza is a great fit but the narrower toe of the grant last just doesn't work for me. These are fairly new and will mold to my foot. Here's a shot of a well worn barrie tanker and a plaza indy for comparison.
View attachment 932931 View attachment 932932

We shared the same curse. The breakin process is hell painful esp. for me it's not at the pinky toe, but direct pressure on fifth metatarsal bone joint.

Which last you tried fits best? Still I feel barrie's heel is too large. Somewhat the copley works but my low ankle bone hurts.

Jason Kadushin

Reaction score
The curse of "duck feet", wide at the ball of the foot and very slim at the heel with a low instep. If I go for more width than my heel will be swimming. All my running shoes and sneakers eventually blow out at the pinkie toe. Barrie is actually a good fit for me with no discomfort at the toe. Plaza is a great fit but the narrower toe of the grant last just doesn't work for me. These are fairly new and will mold to my foot. Here's a shot of a well worn barrie tanker and a plaza indy for comparison.
View attachment 932931 View attachment 932932
Gilby - same curse here. have you tried the modified? hard to find, but it works great for me. Wondering - have you ever had your shoes stretched? Anyone have any good recommendations for someone to stretch Aldens? My new barrie lasted boots are just a touch too narrow and need them to open up the toe box. I took the standard 1/2 size down, which works for me in TB and Modified but either these were sewn up tight or I need to stick TTS for barrie.

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gilby - same curse here. have you tried the modified? hard to find, but it works great for me. Wondering - have you ever had your shoes stretched? Anyone have any good recommendations for someone to stretch Aldens? My new barrie lasted boots are just a touch too narrow and need them to open up the toe box. I took the standard 1/2 size down, which works for me in TB and Modified but either these were sewn up tight or I need to stick TTS for barrie.

Stretch would work a bit esp at ball.
And I found I need to take TTS for barrie, TB & Modified!
Modified's ball and toe is bit narrower than barrie and I couldn't stand the arch support - TSM not suggesting low arch to wear Modified.

takashi78

Reaction score

Will going one width wider help?

In my case going from a D to E width felt much better.
But i had to sacrifice the shoe being a tad longer (don't understand why since i am goin up in width only, anyone care to explain?)
And the heel is wider which resulted in more heel slip.
Overall still better than wearing a D in Barrie though.

gilby

Reaction score
We shared the same curse. The breakin process is hell painful esp. for me it's not at the pinky toe, but direct pressure on fifth metatarsal bone joint.

Which last you tried fits best? Still I feel barrie's heel is too large. Somewhat the copley works but my low ankle bone hurts.

I'm an 11.5d when measures but actually more like an 11.25d. My low instep really impacts what lasts work for me and makes many euro makers unwearable. I need a tongue pad on most shoes and boots.The plaza shape works the best for me, squared toe and slight shovel shape gives enough room at the ball while the heel is tighter than the barrie. The barrie also fits me well with a tongue pad & thicker sock. Maybe it's just me but I think the barrie has a fairly low instep. The grant is to narrow in the toe and has a higher instep than barrie & plaza. I love the look of the grant but after many tries it just doesn't work, to much volume. I'm looking forward to trying the copley and maybe picking up some of those beautiful u-tips.

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm an 11.5d when measures but actually more like an 11.25d. My low instep really impacts what lasts work for me and makes many euro makers unwearable. I need a tongue pad on most shoes and boots.The plaza shape works the best for me, squared toe and slight shovel shape gives enough room at the ball while the heel is tighter than the barrie. The barrie also fits me well with a tongue pad & thicker sock. Maybe it's just me but I think the barrie has a fairly low instep. The grant is to narrow in the toe and has a higher instep than barrie & plaza. I love the look of the grant but after many tries it just doesn't work, to much volume. I'm looking forward to trying the copley and maybe picking up some of those beautiful u-tips.

I got measured 8.5D but given my very thin and bony feet, I have to wear 7.5D/E.
Tried Plaza 8D but I need to lace tightly to prevent heel slip, and still not enough ball room for the bone.
Leydon 7.5E feels right but on the wider right foot, the toe room is not quite adequate and C width heel is too big.
There was a well-worn pair of Modified 7.5C v-tip and seems only A width heel will work with me.

To me I don't really feel Barrie or Copley got high instep - I could never lace them tight or my instep will hurt.

gilby

Reaction score

Have not had the chance to try the modified. I've heard it fits some great but I'll be honest I don't love the look. I've never tried to stretch shell other than trying a half size small with the hopes they will stretch on their own. Doesn't work! Shell doesn't stretch much at all so don't count on it. I do think others have tried stretching with some success, just don't try to stretch to far. I've also never tried the TB as I just know it's to wide although a C width may work but that's tougher to find.

gilby

Reaction score
Will going one width wider help?

In my case going from a D to E width felt much better.
But i had to sacrifice the shoe being a tad longer (don't understand why since i am goin up in width only, anyone care to explain?)
And the heel is wider which resulted in more heel slip.
Overall still better than wearing a D in Barrie though.

Going up a width is to wide for me especially in the heel and the volume is way to much. I do like my boots to fit sort of snug. My general rule is they need to be snug enough "in case you need to run for the train". When I was younger it was "in case you need to run from the cops".

A combination last would be the best for me, C heel & D toe. I understand Alden did this in the past but that was well before my obsession began.

Last edited:

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plaza color8 boots with green flannels....
CECC00D3-B179-43E5-9464-DE9C129A63B9.jpeg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do most of you size down a half size on the Barrie last? What about trubalance?
I size down a half for Barrie and TB, but own both in my Brannock size as well. The Barrie is a bit large so I add a thin insole to adjust (which works pretty well), but the TB fits well in my Brannock size (which surprised me).

As a rule, both are recommended 1/2 down from Brannock. I'd only go up to get something hard to find that you really want (which is what I did).

Twin Screw

Reaction score
Wow, so much information to intake for a newbie. I have been reading and reading and love the shop talk in all your experience being displayed. I am approaching my first purchase and want it to be the Indy shell #8 in TB last (as I guess they will more likely come with it) I am a TTS 12D. So what would be the best suggestion before I hate myself on getting the wrong size and blow even more money on returning a pair that didn't fit, then have to wait even longer to get the dream pair I want. Would you all say to head to a Jcrew store and try on an Indy? Does a store even let you try one on? Is that even possible?, I don't live near SanFran to get to a Alden store. Thoughts? Thanks as always in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members