• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're almost my size (I'm 11.5D Barrie, so pretty sure I'd be a 12 Aberdeen). If I hadn't just spent $6K Friday replacing my AC/furnace upstairs, I'd probably grab 'em just to see...

ScarsdaleVibe

Reaction score
I'd pick them up if I didn't have essentially the same shoe in the C&J Bradford brown shell. And those are .5 size too small in Aberdeen

MT1982

Reaction score
Have a question about thinner shell. I recently received some cigar captoes from Alden DC and after a few days of ownership realized that the outside shaft/vamp of the left boot has much thinner shell than the remainder of the boot (or the right boot). It's so thin that I can bend it upwards in one area and it stays there. The pics below show it with it bent up from one angle, then slightly bent from another angle, then pushed flat from the same angle as the 2nd pic. I would say it's around as thin/thick as a standard envelope that you might receive bills or junkmail in.

Obviously they skive the edges down, but should they have gone this thin considering the whole piece of shell is already thin (it's much more flexible than the other parts of the boots)? It seems like it wouldn't be as durable as a thicker piece. The thin shell also has a few odd wrinkles here and there (some developing around the eyelets and a couple at the top of the shaft). I don't really care about the wrinkles as I intend to wear these with jeans so they don't need to look perfect. My main concern is with durability.

This is my first shell so I was wondering if I will run into problems with these down the road?

parallax1

Reaction score
How did you manage to get cigar shell from Alden DC as your first pair of shell shoes?

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2e39eb8f459599beb84e7cef70303951.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT1982

Reaction score
How did you manage to get cigar shell from Alden DC as your first pair of shell shoes?

Been on the waiting list for ages now and got lucky :) I figured it'd be a few more years before they ever got to my name. I'm on the list for the ravello ones as well, but was told there's no ravello in sight so will probably be a long time till I'll own those.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The color #4 interest/premium seems a little soft as of tonight on eBay. Sunday Night Football sales discount?!?

RevisIsland

Reaction score

The color #4 interest/premium seems a little soft as of tonight on eBay. Sunday Night Football sales discount?!?

Oh man, I saw those color 4 boots went for $1050. I agree, I was thinking they'd sell for a few hundred more.

ltjaw

Reaction score
Looking for opinion:

Best sole choice for color 8 LWBs for more casual wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads