• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Italian Travel Thread

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On our recent trip to Milan, we thoroughly enjoyed La Libera. A classic setting for a late dinner. I would highly recommend it.

593281_OYQWFABJafGQnKmQlbJCP57q_ETdCsQx3HLLUHfRKqU.jpg

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am headed to italy Rome - Venice - Florence - Naples - positano for 18 days.

Any must do and sees?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am headed to italy Rome - Venice - Florence - Naples - positano for 18 days.

Any must do and sees?
Have a great time...
I'm sure your itinerary is set in stone by now, but my advice would be to lop two cities of the list.
I went for the same amount of days and just did Florence one third and Rome two thirds.
It worked out great. We settled in and just got immersed in the city and saw everything we wanted to.
You can lose so much to checking in, checking out, travel time between cities.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been 10 years since last time in ITA.
Planning Rome > Florence > ( possibly Bologna) > Milan
Flying in to Fiumicino then trains in between then out from Malpensa.
15 days. Been to Florence (3 days) and short 2 days in Milan. Would like to spend at least 5 days in Fl/Tuscany. Too short/many stops? Would appreciate itinerary suggestions. Thnx

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
15 days. Been to Florence (3 days) and short 2 days in Milan. Would like to spend at least 5 days in Fl/Tuscany. Too short/many stops? Would appreciate itinerary suggestions. Thnx

We were in Italy for 3 weeks in June (Rome, Saturnia, San Vito and Milan). We have been multiple times to Rome, Florence, Bologna and Milan as well as other cities.

- For a 15 day trip, I would suggest keeping it to 3 cities. Less time spent getting places, packing, checking in and out of hotels, etc.

-We always enjoy taking a food/wine tour soon after arrival in a city to get our bearings and hear about new places or neighborhoods we haven't visited before.

-Rome - Check out Hotel Manfredi two blocks from the Spanish Steps. Easy walking everywhere but on a quiet side street. The street its on has small boutiques, home decor and a few restaurants. Try Pierluigi (est 1938) for remarkable seafood. Beautiful sunsets at the top of the Spanish Steps at the Hotel de la Ville. For classic clothing visit Battistoni. For smart casual visit Sergionesci - jeans, chino, scarves, etc. Of course, visit a few of the most famous historic sites if you haven't already.

-Florence - its been about 6 years so someone else might have more recent suggestions. Perhaps @mossrockss who was there this summer for Pitti? A few friends say two days in the city center but then head to the country for 2-3 days of food and wine tours is the way to go. My brother did a food wine tour on vintage Vespas this summer and had a blast.

- Milan- I love Milan because of it's energy, center of design and style. Check out the Hotel Manzoni. Wonderful rooms, service and a short walk to the Duomo. Start with a Negroni at the Campari Cafe in the Galleria, visit Rubinacci, the Grand Hotel Milan bar for your evening apperativo, Cafe Del Binari for classic Milanese food and then walk the nearby canals, say "hello" to Lino at Al Bazar. If you want to see the Last Supper book it well before you get there. If traveling with a wife/GF take her to the MaxMara flagship store near the Duomo. Amazing selection, wide range of prices, superb quality, things you never see in their typical city shops. Next to the Duomo is the La Rinascente Department store. The top floor has a wonderful food court and a fantastic restaurant overlooking the Duomo. You get a delicious meal and view all in one. We brought back a lot of packaged food from the food court. Wish we would have bought more! Go to La Libera for dinner one evening.

Taking the train, book ahead for the best rates. The Business Class is worth the extra few Euros and go on the Frecciarossa (“Red Arrow”), faster, nicer. Look for trains with no transfer.

With the strong dollar if you plan to do some serious shopping, be sure to ask for VAT refund paperwork everywhere. They make it very easy at the airport in Milan to get your refund. Just allow a bit of time to wait in line.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Gus mentioned me. Exciting trip! Man I love Italy.
Not sure what time o' year you're going (now?). Tuscany is rainy this time of year, so be prepared for that if so. We loved Piensa (we being my wife and I when we road-tripped through Tuscany from a home base of an agriturismo in the town of Buonconvento), but it was rainy because it was October when we were there, and maybe a weekday and so I don't know that we did much except just wander the rainy streets and enjoy the scenery. We just drove our little Fiat 500 around and stopped at wineries we saw signs for.

I'm awful for restaurant recommendations, though @Andy57 has been organizing a group meal at Ristorante il Profeta the last few Pitti's and it's quite good. (Andy, I'll join you next time, promise). And tbh while it felt cliche, the food was quite good at Harry's Bar, too.

Not sure if you have children but I went to the Interactive Leonardo da Vinci museum in Florence this summer solo as a grown man, and felt like someone with kids ages maybe 10+ would love that place (I enjoyed it as a grown man, too).

In Rome I spent several hours in the park at Villa Borghese (and also went to the Borghese gallery, which I hadn't done before this trip) and it was just so pleasant.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Milan, stop at the Pinacoteca di Brera museum. A beautiful building, one of the great collections of classic art in the world. They have a very nice cafe on the second floor, perfect for lunch and a nice bottle of wine (of course, it's Italy).

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm an absolute expert when it comes to the best tattoo shops in Florence and Rome, so hit me up :lol:

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Gus @mossrockss @gnatty8 et al . luv u guys. I knw this thread will deliver. Either early May 2023 or early Oct2023. No kids. Just me and wifey.
Let me digest all the suggestions and will ask for more details. Might DM. Thnx again

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Gus @mossrockss @gnatty8 et al . luv u guys. I knw this thread will deliver. Either early May 2023 or early Oct2023. No kids. Just me and wifey.
Let me digest all the suggestions and will ask for more details. Might DM. Thnx again

In all seriousness, feel free to DM, I've been to Florence a dozen times, and Rome probably 8 or 9, so I do have my favorite places to eat, see, drink etc.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We (me, my wife and a 6 year old) are going to Italy this summer. Yay. The itinerary is going to be Naples area/ Sicily/ Rome. We've been before but the last trip (pre COVID19) was when my daughter was under 2. This time we have to tailor our plans and look for stuff that she would be interested in. Rome will fine ok, as she is interested in seeing the Colosseum etc. Naples - day trip Pompeii, maybe a stop in Matera, then Sicily Gole alacantara, Etna, Valle di Templi, Taormina (more for the cannoli). We were in Australia/ NZ in early Jan and there were tons of kid activities such as zip lines, sky luge, plane to white island, dolphin watching, glow worms. Any suggestions for Italy please?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We (me, my wife and a 6 year old) are going to Italy this summer. Yay. The itinerary is going to be Naples area/ Sicily/ Rome. We've been before but the last trip (pre COVID19) was when my daughter was under 2. This time we have to tailor our plans and look for stuff that she would be interested in. Rome will fine ok, as she is interested in seeing the Colosseum etc. Naples - day trip Pompeii, maybe a stop in Matera, then Sicily Gole alacantara, Etna, Valle di Templi, Taormina (more for the cannoli). We were in Australia/ NZ in early Jan and there were tons of kid activities such as zip lines, sky luge, plane to white island, dolphin watching, glow worms. Any suggestions for Italy please?
If the daughter likes cats, take her to the cat sanctuary in Rome.
It's right next to Campo dei Fiori which is where I stayed, and my kid made me take her there every day.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cheers. I remember the cat sanctuary, it's right by the terminus of the 8 tram, right? We usually stay in Trastevere but this time we may stay somewhere more 'central'. I hear Hotel Manfredi is ok ;)

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the kid front in Sicily - if you can get to the Villa Romana del Casale, the mosaics are stunning. A lot of them are of animals.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads