• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gctoto11

Reaction score
A minor update guys:

Christine L:
I have confirmed with the owner and she said her suits are fused (not surprisingly given the low price) but she said she may make and canvased one for extra costs. I told her that if her tailors/employees in china cannot handle it then it's fine. She said she will make sure that it will work first before she will promise to make a full canvased suit. Throughout the communication process she has already been helpful and not pushing. Seems to try her effort to accommodate my needs. However, I'd need to see the end product and post here before jumping to conclusions. The helpful attitude does give me some comfort atm.

Hola Classic:
I forgot to post the pattern i chose last time. It's a pretty standard dark blue suit but with an inconspicuous pattern. You guys may know the technical name of this pattern and I will be most grateful if you could tell me the name of this pattern,(and if possible, any idea of what the end suit of similar patterns will look like?):

Hola Classic suits should be fused too but I have yet to request if they could make a full canvased one. Last time they may not know what I meant because they may not know the chinese equivalent of "full canvased". I will talk to them again next time I visit them.

Dream Bespoke:
I had my first fitting yesterday and it looks pretty good thus far. Good service from the owner and willing to work with me for what I want (although I am still in the process of knowing what I REALLY want). He took photos of the 1st fitting for reference but I do not have them. Will ask him to take some pics when I have my second fitting. Now I am excited to get this jacket asap. The pattern I chose is this:

The photo didn't show the colour well but it's actually a navy colour. I wanted to make a similar jacket to Ted Baker's Everdee Blazer but without the lining.

I also dropped by the dragoon fancais tailor. When I look at their window display, they seem to sell suits as low as 70 US and up to 2000 US (or whatever the price) depending on the materials. When I talked to the owner (who himself is the tailor), he said that the suits are half fused, and actually said that fused suits may look better. However, I was very unhappy at how he treated me. When I told him that my friend recommended here and I would like to look at the swatch patterns before I commit to make a suit, he said I shouldn't waste his time and only come again when I want to make a suit. It should be noted that there are NO customers there when I walked in. Even though he should be the only one person responsible for all the process including measuring and making the suits, I think that he's too rude. This experience already turned me off although I will still visit with the friend who recommended me and see what happens next time.

Shall keep you guys posted again of any updates.

JohnMarchand

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good Bespoke Tailor in Hong Kong?
I will be HKG for a week, As I heard HK tailor offers best quality with price suits, I'll be exciting to get one, don't want to be riped off or dispointed with poor result, So anyone has good experience with any tailor please advise.

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

A minor update guys: Christine L: I have confirmed with the owner and she said her suits are fused (not surprisingly given the low price) but she said she may make and canvased one for extra costs. I told her that if her tailors/employees in china cannot handle it then it's fine. She said she will make sure that it will work first before she will promise to make a full canvased suit. Throughout the communication process she has already been helpful and not pushing. Seems to try her effort to accommodate my needs. However, I'd need to see the end product and post here before jumping to conclusions. The helpful attitude does give me some comfort atm. Hola Classic: I forgot to post the pattern i chose last time. It's a pretty standard dark blue suit but with an inconspicuous pattern. You guys may know the technical name of this pattern and I will be most grateful if you could tell me the name of this pattern,(and if possible, any idea of what the end suit of similar patterns will look like?): Hola Classic suits should be fused too but I have yet to request if they could make a full canvased one. Last time they may not know what I meant because they may not know the chinese equivalent of "full canvased". I will talk to them again next time I visit them. Dream Bespoke: I had my first fitting yesterday and it looks pretty good thus far. Good service from the owner and willing to work with me for what I want (although I am still in the process of knowing what I REALLY want). He took photos of the 1st fitting for reference but I do not have them. Will ask him to take some pics when I have my second fitting. Now I am excited to get this jacket asap. The pattern I chose is this: The photo didn't show the colour well but it's actually a navy colour. I wanted to make a similar jacket to Ted Baker's Everdee Blazer but without the lining. I also dropped by the dragoon fancais tailor. When I look at their window display, they seem to sell suits as low as 70 US and up to 2000 US (or whatever the price) depending on the materials. When I talked to the owner (who himself is the tailor), he said that the suits are half fused, and actually said that fused suits may look better. However, I was very unhappy at how he treated me. When I told him that my friend recommended here and I would like to look at the swatch patterns before I commit to make a suit, he said I shouldn't waste his time and only come again when I want to make a suit. It should be noted that there are NO customers there when I walked in. Even though he should be the only one person responsible for all the process including measuring and making the suits, I think that he's too rude. This experience already turned me off although I will still visit with the friend who recommended me and see what happens next time. Shall keep you guys posted again of any updates.
I will not go to Dragoon Fancais. He just try to trap customer because he post a photo of Hacken Lee. When I ask about the construction of the suit. His face turn evil and insist a fused jacket is much better and want to push me outside. The shop is a trap for local customer.

gctoto11

Reaction score
I will not go to Dragoon Fancais. He just try to trap customer because he post a photo of Hacken Lee. When I ask about the construction of the suit. His face turn evil and insist a fused jacket is much better and want to push me outside. The shop is a trap for local customer.

Agreed!!! So I am not the only one who got the similar experience.... He also insisted that fused jackets are better. For the tailors that I have purchased from, they have been pretty honest thus far. I think this is given the mutual understanding in relation to their prices and their products. I asked about fused/canvased suits to both Christine L and Hola Classic and both were honest with their answers (I managed to ask Hola Classic the canvas issue in chinese and they say their suits are fused). Hola Classic is unable to do a full canvased suit since they frankly told me that their tailors/workers in china are not used to doing that. Christine L is currently asking her tailors if the suit can be done in full canvased. Dream Bespoke is definitely full canvased.

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Full Canvas jacket does not mean it is better than fused. I have several full canvas jackets which look bad and fused jacket looks good. If top qulaity canvas jacket, then it is good but not a bad made. It is very difficult to find good tailors to do full canvas jacket.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Full Canvas jacket does not mean it is better than fused. I have several full canvas jackets which look bad and fused jacket looks good. If top qulaity canvas jacket, then it is good but not a bad made. It is very difficult to find good tailors to do full canvas jacket.

I may add the fact that heavier fabrics can potentially be better looking even it is fused. It is not hard to find a good old tailor per se, but you must be able to pay a decent amount for it.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi
There has been lots of great info on here re tailors in Hong Kong.  We are heading to Hong Kong in a week and are there for 8 days.  Last time we were there my husband  got a heap of shirts made and some pants with Jantzen and 4 1/2 years down the track are coming to an end. I must say they have lasted alot longer then i thought they would.   So I am on a mission to get him 

1.  A heap of new shirts at a reasonable price (like Jantzen was) - thinking staying with Jantzen
2.  Just pants (flat front) for in the office when he has no meetings - Jantzen
3.  A couple of new sports coats, he usually wears zegna sports coats which look beautiful - really  not sure on this one.
4.  A bespoke suit or 2 with better quality shirts - WW CHan

I would like any feedback on peoples recommendations for where i want to take him.  Plus any recommendations that may be better.

My other question is he has some really nice casual shirts  i would like copied, do you think jantzen could do this or would i be better going somewhere else.  One more thing, any good suggestions for custom made mens shoes near central.

Thank you for your help and responses.

Surely your husband would best left to his own shopping and make his own choices rather than "where i want to take him."

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I may add the fact that heavier fabrics can potentially be better looking even it is fused. It is not hard to find a good old tailor per se, but you must be able to pay a decent amount for it.

I am doing the opposite, italian thin weight , soft fabric , I will do fuse. Medium & heavy british fabric, I will consider canvass. Mainly for good looking purpose. Canvass jacket is much more comfortable than fused jacket. I tend to stop consider modern fabric especially italian. Old days, truly british fabric are much better, they can last much longer. I like old school English Fabric and Tailoring. Maybe I prefer nice clothing than fashion.

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I am doing the opposite, italian thin weight , soft fabric , I will do fuse. Medium & heavy british fabric, I will consider canvass. Mainly for good looking purpose. Canvass jacket is much more comfortable than fused jacket. I tend to stop consider modern fabric especially italian. Old days, truly british fabric are much better, they can last much longer. I like old school English Fabric and Tailoring. Maybe I prefer nice clothing than fashion.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any approximation on what this Y William Yu suit would have cost? I found it at a thrift store in mint condition for $20. Loro Piana Super 160's, fully canvassed, functioning cuffs...

Last edited:

scotchman

Reaction score
Awesome thread. I've been wanting to get a Simpson Sin suit for some time now, and know he also tours around the U.S. a couple times a year. Suits usually run around 450 USD ($)

Last edited:

bamboo

Reaction score
Hi
There has been lots of great info on here re tailors in Hong Kong. We are heading to Hong Kong in a week and are there for 8 days. Last time we were there my husband got a heap of shirts made and some pants with Jantzen and 4 1/2 years down the track are coming to an end. I must say they have lasted alot longer then i thought they would. So I am on a mission to get him

1. A heap of new shirts at a reasonable price (like Jantzen was) - thinking staying with Jantzen
2. Just pants (flat front) for in the office when he has no meetings - Jantzen
3. A couple of new sports coats, he usually wears zegna sports coats which look beautiful - really not sure on this one.
4. A bespoke suit or 2 with better quality shirts - WW CHan

I would like any feedback on peoples recommendations for where i want to take him. Plus any recommendations that may be better.

My other question is he has some really nice casual shirts i would like copied, do you think jantzen could do this or would i be better going somewhere else. One more thing, any good suggestions for custom made mens shoes near central.

Thank you for your help and responses.

Hi.

1. At a reasonable price. I would stay with Jantzen.
2. I have some pants made by Jantzen. They are OK. just OK. Ones I made with soft fabric is not so good.
3. If WW Chan is in your budget for sports coat. WW Chan. For that price range, consensus names which appear here are WW Chan, Y William Yu and Gordon Yao.
If you want to spend less. Peter Lee is the most common name here. Il Sarto in Central is about the same price as Peter Lee. I visited Il Sarto and am considering to order a jacket. As name suggests they are more Italian than British.
4. The same as 3. I have an experience with Gordon Yao. I think it is quite good. For suits and jackets you need to arrange the schedule with tailors before your trip.

Jantzen can copy the shirts. You need to be very specific even if you leave the sample shirts to copy, but they should be able to do it. I think you need to be very specific about the detail.

Shoes. There is one in Prince Building in Central. I forgot the name. There are oen or two in Admiralty area. I have not tried those but do not look so appealing to my eyes.
There is another one called Zee in Tsuim Shat Tsui near Peter Lee shop.

Enjoy your stay in Hong Kong.

gegarrenton

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Awesome thread. I've been wanting to get a Simpson Sin suit for some time now, and know he also tours around the U.S. a couple times a year. Suits usually run around 450 USD ($)

I've had good experiences with Simpson Sin for shirts. My buddy got a suit from them last fall, was ~650 USD for some pretty good fabric.

Tony will be in DC in April and I plan on going up to get a few more shirts done. Right after I have to go up next week to see Poole. Lots 'o miles on the car next few weeks!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrendavid777