• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gen60

Reaction score
If I have 5 full days in HK, do you think that would be enough time to get a bespoke suit? I am interested in using Il Sarto, does anyone know if that is enough time to get one done? I tried emailing them but no response.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LL Sarto is merely a gimmick, dont waste your money there. 5 days is not enough for a proper bespoke suit anywhere in the world.

unless you are going to trust them after the initial fitting.

for your need, i will try TCNY as the high end MTM. i presume you like 'slim' suit and has no knowledge on bespoke cuts around the world.

Last edited:

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone not replying to e-amils obviously doesn't want your business. This forum and thread are full of good addresses, in five days, you should be able to get two fittings in and have the suit mailed to you.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Someone not replying to e-amils obviously doesn't want your business. This forum and thread are full of good addresses, in five days, you should be able to get two fittings in and have the suit mailed to you.

Two fittings in five days is pushing the edge. I think one fitting is more feasible. Again, i do think TCNY is a good option, since it is cheaper than the top tier, and they are MTM in bespoke standard.

without multiple fittings, you are likely to throw away money.

bamboo

Reaction score
If I have 5 full days in HK, do you think that would be enough time to get a bespoke suit? I am interested in using Il Sarto, does anyone know if that is enough time to get one done? I tried emailing them but no response.

I got a reply in one or two days when I made an inquiry to Il Sarto. Anyway they usually requires 3 weeks to complete the suit.
It can be shorter but I do not know how short can it be.

TCNY usually requires 3 weeks even though they do not do basted fitting. If your size is very standard and fit to their gauge pretty close then should be OK with TCNY assuming you like the pattern and fabric. My experience with them was not so good, but it could be just me.

gen60

Reaction score
LL Sarto is merely a gimmick, dont waste your money there. 5 days is not enough for a proper bespoke suit anywhere in the world.

unless you are going to trust them after the initial fitting.

for your need, i will try TCNY as the high end MTM. i presume you like 'slim' suit and has no knowledge on bespoke cuts around the world.

Wow thanks for the quick replies. Got a reply from them today and they mentioned the same thing, it will take 3-4 weeks to make a suit and will only be able to complete 2 fittings and mail the suit. I think the final touches can be done here?

Why do you say Il sarto is a gimmick? I actually have 6 full days but they are closed on Sunday I believe. Was considering Il sarto or lee baron after reading this thread. Will check out TCNY too, thanks.

Yes this will be my first bespoke suit and looking at slim fit, but I do have some pictures of the style of suit I'd like.

I guess you have a good point though that since I'm throwing down 700-800 for a bespoke suit, it might be worth it to just get it done locally instead of trying to save 200-300 since I'm throwing down that much money anyways.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow thanks for the quick replies. Got a reply from them today and they mentioned the same thing, it will take 3-4 weeks to make a suit and will only be able to complete 2 fittings and mail the suit. I think the final touches can be done here?

Why do you say Il sarto is a gimmick? I actually have 6 full days but they are closed on Sunday I believe. Was considering Il sarto or lee baron after reading this thread. Will check out TCNY too, thanks.

Yes this will be my first bespoke suit and looking at slim fit, but I do have some pictures of the style of suit I'd like.

I guess you have a good point though that since I'm throwing down 700-800 for a bespoke suit, it might be worth it to just get it done locally instead of trying to save 200-300 since I'm throwing down that much money anyways.

Thanks for the advice guys.

If there is a good local bespoke operation, why not trust them?

addedfuel

Reaction score
I've ordered several suits from Il Sarto and much prefer their quality and service than Lee Baron but they require time compared to other shops that rush it in 1 week.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would they compare with Lee Baron in terms of style, attention to detail, available fabrics and price?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How would they compare with Lee Baron in terms of style, attention to detail, available fabrics and price?

Lee Baron overcharges for his service, in my opinion.
However, I do like his house shirting offers.

Last edited:

jkspepper

Reaction score
Hi

I am relatively new to Hong Kong and I have a dilemma. Coming from the UK, I have a series of Paul Smith suits which need alterations. I have been perusing the forums and the intarwebs but can only find information on tailors who do not do alterations.

I would like help on finding a good quality tailor to alter trousers (shorten the rise, reduce waist, clean up the seat and make the legs thinner). Are there any recommendations on a reputable tailor I can trust with these works?

Thanks

Crowtservo

Reaction score
I'm going to be in Hong Kong in a couple weeks and I wanted to check out the tailor situation. I'll be in and out of Hong Kong for a month so it doesn't need to be a rush and I can get in for a couple fittings. I've read through the past year's worth of posts in this thread and some others on here as well as r/MFA and I think I have some idea of what to look for. I was hoping to get some updated advice and a little more information. I will have a Cantonese speaking person with me so language is not a huge concern.

My ideal price point is $500. That's adjustable but I'm really looking for good value. Obviously I would prefer bespoke and canvass, but if it's better value to get half canvass that might be OK. I'd like to avoid MTM and fused. The main reason I can't make a decision is I'm not really sure what the difference in price actually reflects. I hear people say you get better fabrics, or that the cheap one "looks like ****" but I'd love to hear some more specifics information. Is the difference that noticeable between the $5,000HKD and $10,000HKD suits? I have a few higher end OTR suits right now (Burberry, Z Zegna) and a MTM from Holt Renfrew (similar to Nordstrom's for the US) and I would be more than happy with something similarly well made (I'm not expecting it to look or fit like an Ermenegildo Zegna suit).

Tailors:
WW Chan / Y William Yu / Gordon Yao - Bespoke full canvass runs from $10,000HKD - $20,000HKD. These are generally considered the best options but unfortunately out of my price range at the moment. I may be able to afford 1 suit at their absolute lowest possible price point but I'm not sure this is the best value.
Peter Lee (Lee Baron) - Popular tailor on this forum. Apparently his prices have been going up recently due to this popularity; bespoke canvass used to be $37000HKD but now are at least $5500HKD. This is where I was planning to go but I'm not sure if it's worth it anymore. Is the value still there? Half canvass seems to run about $4200HKD and might be the right move here.
TCNY: Another popular option here. MTM starts at $5000HKD. Again doesn't seem like great value for MTM. Also I'm in town for a while and can take the time for bespoke.
Simpson Sin: Popular due to their appearance on No Reservations with Tony Bourdain. Probably not great value. Not a lot of discussion on these boards about them.
Empire International: Cheaper. Seems to be hit or miss in terms of quality.
Sam's Tailor: Similar to Empire. Mixed reviews but generally a bit cheaper.
Cheung Hing: Apparently I can get a bespoke suit (must be fused at this price) for under $200.

Shirts:
Ascot Chang: ~$1700HKD. Great shirts but kinda pricey. A little out of my range for a shirt.
Jantzen: Much cheaper (~$400HKD) and quick turnaround. I'm going to go get one made here and see if I like it then likely get a few more from here.

Shoes:
Zee's Leatherware

Thanks for the help guys!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm going to be in Hong Kong in a couple weeks and I wanted to check out the tailor situation. I'll be in and out of Hong Kong for a month so it doesn't need to be a rush and I can get in for a couple fittings. I've read through the past year's worth of posts in this thread and some others on here as well as r/MFA and I think I have some idea of what to look for. I was hoping to get some updated advice and a little more information. I will have a Cantonese speaking person with me so language is not a huge concern.

My ideal price point is $500. That's adjustable but I'm really looking for good value. Obviously I would prefer bespoke and canvass, but if it's better value to get half canvass that might be OK. I'd like to avoid MTM and fused. The main reason I can't make a decision is I'm not really sure what the difference in price actually reflects. I hear people say you get better fabrics, or that the cheap one "looks like ****" but I'd love to hear some more specifics information. Is the difference that noticeable between the $5,000HKD and $10,000HKD suits? I have a few higher end OTR suits right now (Burberry, Z Zegna) and a MTM from Holt Renfrew (similar to Nordstrom's for the US) and I would be more than happy with something similarly well made (I'm not expecting it to look or fit like an Ermenegildo Zegna suit).

Tailors:
WW Chan / Y William Yu / Gordon Yao - Bespoke full canvass runs from $10,000HKD - $20,000HKD. These are generally considered the best options but unfortunately out of my price range at the moment. I may be able to afford 1 suit at their absolute lowest possible price point but I'm not sure this is the best value.
Peter Lee (Lee Baron) - Popular tailor on this forum. Apparently his prices have been going up recently due to this popularity; bespoke canvass used to be $37000HKD but now are at least $5500HKD. This is where I was planning to go but I'm not sure if it's worth it anymore. Is the value still there? Half canvass seems to run about $4200HKD and might be the right move here.
TCNY: Another popular option here. MTM starts at $5000HKD. Again doesn't seem like great value for MTM. Also I'm in town for a while and can take the time for bespoke.
Simpson Sin: Popular due to their appearance on No Reservations with Tony Bourdain. Probably not great value. Not a lot of discussion on these boards about them.
Empire International: Cheaper. Seems to be hit or miss in terms of quality.
Sam's Tailor: Similar to Empire. Mixed reviews but generally a bit cheaper.
Cheung Hing: Apparently I can get a bespoke suit (must be fused at this price) for under $200.

Shirts:
Ascot Chang: ~$1700HKD. Great shirts but kinda pricey. A little out of my range for a shirt.
Jantzen: Much cheaper (~$400HKD) and quick turnaround. I'm going to go get one made here and see if I like it then likely get a few more from here.

Shoes:
Zee's Leatherware

Thanks for the help guys!

You will not get a decent suit for $500. You might find one of the Asians that tout at Tsim Tsa Tsui will match this but don't expect it to last for more than five minutes.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vote for TCNY, at least I have seen their MTM suits and looks passible. that will fit your expectation. However, they are not made in bespoke standard. I also advice yo get a couple of shirts with Peter Lee.

Last edited:

Crowtservo

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

You will not get a decent suit for $500. You might find one of the Asians that tout at Tsim Tsa Tsui will match this but don't expect it to last for more than five minutes.

I'm really looking for some specifics. It will literally fall apart after 5 minutes? Or just won't look great? Specifically how does it compare to one that costs $1000 (from Hong Kong)?

I vote for TCNY, at least I have seen their MTM suits and looks passible. that will fit your expectation. However, they are not made in bespoke standard. I also advice yo get a couple of shirts with Peter Lee.

This is a viable route. I fit OTR reasonably well already (I'm 6'2", 180lbs, average build) so MTM may be good enough. Is the fabric they use better than I would get if I wanted bespoke?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vidaliaJule