• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Goddamn iPhone. I tried three times to post a pic of my Holz Hausen, but it won't load.

It is a ******* thing of beauty.

Edit - behold!

lefty

Last edited:

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a dehumidifier for an approx. 400sf basement (200sf dug out and 200sf is crawl space)? I'm locating it over wash basin sink so it can drain there, no need for a pump in the unit. It is under the kitchen so preferably quiet enough that it can't be heard through uninsulated wood floors.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with a thermostatic shower system? Is it worth the extra $$$? What I have seen looks quite nice but all the extra knobs and valves look confusing.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with a thermostatic shower system? Is it worth the extra $$$? What I have seen looks quite nice but all the extra knobs and valves look confusing.

Most of the time I've encountered them they were used for safety code reasons In these cases the settings were remote and inaccessibleto the user . Whether they are worth it or not depends on how much you dislike tempering your water manually . I would never even consider one myself ,just something to have problems with down the road. All modern shower valves have scald protection anyway

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe in NYC, bathrooms are supposed to have either pressure balanced or thermostatic valves. So I have to choose one va the other. :decisions:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe in NYC, bathrooms are supposed to have either pressure balanced or thermostatic valves. So I have to choose one va the other.
decisions.gif

I retired 10 years ago so I haven't kept up with the buzz words but as far as I know functionally they are the same thing . They prevent surges in hot water pressure. This meets your code requirement. A thermostatic valve has the advantage of temp set point. A balance valve needs be manually tempered

ps: thermostatic valves do save water if that is an issue for you . How much they save depends on the distance from your hw source to point of use

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do thermostatic valves save water without lowering perceived shower pressure?

If so, How?

If not, **** that ****.

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do thermostatic valves save water without lowering perceived shower pressure?

If so, How?

If not, **** that ****.

Yes. They do not allow cold flow until the hot flow is above the set point.Cold flow is then metered in as needed to maintain set point . In this way you save all the cold water that would be wasted tempering mixed flow to set point . Water pressure is water pressure . What comes out of your showerhead is a result of pressure and available volume(size of pipes and number of restrictions). The effect of the valves restrictions are governed by manufacturing standards so no matter what valve you buy the effect will be similar.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lately, I've also been quite infatuated with book-matched marble bathrooms. :drool:

I haven't been able to find estimated pricing per sq foot (other than just really expensive), so I suspect it might be quite obscene. Please talk me out of it.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bigger the slab, the bigger the price. I am curious into how they get identical pieces reflected over a midline without being man made.

ChrisGold

Reaction score

The bigger the slab, the bigger the price.  I am curious into how they get identical pieces reflected over a midline without being man made.

Instead of finishing the same side as they make the cuts, they just finish the alternate side, yielding a match. Imagine the slab as a deck of cards, and you cut a piece off and finish the top of each card. When someone orders book matched, you flip the next card over, yielding a mirror image of the slab above as you are finishing both sides along the cut line.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those showers all look like vaginas to me.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Instead of finishing the same side as they make the cuts, they just finish the alternate side, yielding a match. Imagine the slab as a deck of cards, and you cut a piece off and finish the top of each card. When someone orders book matched, you flip the next card over, yielding a mirror image of the slab above as you are finishing both sides along the cut line.

Makes sense. I was imagining something like that but did not look for the answer myself.

Marble tile is on my list to check out when we remodel our master bath though in more budget friendly sizes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads