• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I had briefly thought of getting one of those mirror TVs but we've just decided to move the TV out of the main public room and create a small sitting room for TV watching.

upthewazzu

Reaction score
Anyone have laminate flooring in their house? We really need to rip out the six year old carpet (builder grade stuff that came with the house) as well as some vinyl in the kitchen and replace it all. It wouldn't be worth it to use real or engineering hardwood, as I'd probably never recoup the cost in this area (plus we have two dogs and it scratches easily). So far we've looked at a few different kinds but I don't think any of them have really set my world on fire. We've been looking at AC4 rated stuff, 5" to 6.5" width, in the $4+/sq ft range,

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone insulated a crawlspace themselves? What did you use for a vapor barrier? Did you just apply insulation between the joices? Nashville is freezing over and it is too late to save money this year but plan on insulated our vented crawlspace in the spring.

mike1445

Reaction score
We had our crawlspace spray-foamed in the fall to replace sagging batt insulation installed by previous owner, it's open air so may be whole different animal but I felt it was worth the cost. PO had insulated without a vapor barrier, I don't think it was more than a few years old and it was worthless. Spray foam made the tile entryway tolerable in sock feet which is an impressive feat for this current Buffalo winter.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Anyone have laminate flooring in their house? We really need to rip out the six year old carpet (builder grade stuff that came with the house) as well as some vinyl in the kitchen and replace it all. It wouldn't be worth it to use real or engineering hardwood, as I'd probably never recoup the cost in this area (plus we have two dogs and it scratches easily). So far we've looked at a few different kinds but I don't think any of them have really set my world on fire. We've been looking at AC4 rated stuff, 5" to 6.5" width, in the $4+/sq ft range,

Is your house informal enough that a rustic grade hardwood would look right?

upthewazzu

Reaction score
Is your house informal enough that a rustic grade hardwood would look right?

Hmmmmmm, maybe. I've seen that stuff used in older homes near city centers and I think it looks great, but I just don't know if I could pull it off in this neighborhood.

Here's is what we've been looking at, sorta looks different than what I've seen in a lot of homes:

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Have you considered porcelain tiles that look like hardwood?

http://www.atlasconcorde.it/en/collections/axi/fondi/dark-oak/mattrettificato/

I like this stuff better than laminate...it definitely doesn't feel like wood but at least it doesn't feel like plastic. 

I have a thing against materials that are made to look like other materials. If you want brick, use brick. Wood, use real wood. "At least it doesn't feel like plastic" doesn't exactly sell me on it.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was thinking of an actual rustic floor, but yeah if it's a neighborhood of similar homes it will likely look out of place.

I have a strong dislike of laminates and 'wood' tiles.

I would be tempted to source a sturdy wood like white oak and chose a finish which will not show fine scratches. Engineered wood is fine, but make sure the top layer is heavy enough for a refinish or two.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I would be tempted to source a sturdy wood like white oak and chose a finish which will not show fine scratches. Engineered wood is fine, but make sure the top layer is heavy enough for a refinish or two.

Engineered floors are fine if you like the dull hardened polyurethane look. I'm not spending money to walk on particle board with a thin layer of veneer on it. Pass. "Engineered" is marketing jargon. Beyond a few useful reasons to use it, it's just cheap ****.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads