• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Art of Shaving kit

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
Where do yall find the "vintage" razors? I don't like the newer ones myself. I got one of those powercrap ones that vibrate or whatever and it was a complete waste. I use a straight blade when I am at home but I do a lot of travelling and I don't like to take it with me.

Ebay always has some auctions for them, but the prices range from good to utterly insane, as does the quality. Then there's flea markets, swap meets, antique dealers, and garage sales. With those options, though, especially antique dealers, a whole bunch of other people probably had the same thought as collectors, shavers, or resellers, so pickings might be slim.

Mblova

Reaction score
Whats a good double edge razor?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mblova
Whats a good double edge razor?
That depends entirely on personal preference. And it doesn't stop with the razor itself. Then you need to figure out what type of blades work best for you. It's a pain ********** at first, then it becomes enjoyable.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rambo
That depends entirely on personal preference. And it doesn't stop with the razor itself. Then you need to figure out what type of blades work best for you. It's a pain ********** at first, then it becomes enjoyable.

Vintage Gillette is pretty much the standard, and the SuperSpeed the standard of standards. This is the rout I went with my SuperSpeed, followed by a Milord, then a Slim Adjustable, and now I'm on the prowl for a cheap Aristocrat or a Fat Boy.

Merkur is great, for the most part. You do have to watch out for manufacture defects on some new razors, but they replace them if such a problem does arise. Also, I believe the Futur is a dangerous razor with the way they have the blade going in. You do not want to be putting the kind of pressure required to pop the top off that razor right on top of a double edge blade.

Dovo, Taylors of Old Bond Street, Feather, Parker, and Geo F. Trumpers all make double edge razors that are generally liked, though usually not nearly as much as the vintage Gillette or Merkurs are.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't fear the Futur, it is my favorite razor, and the one I use the most. I have never ever cut myself changing blades on it. Just be a little careful.

a Merkur HD is the way to go IMO if you just want a good double edge razor that will last a lifetime, and don't want to put any more thought into it than that.

Jl24

Reaction score
I have a brand-new Merkur Futur razor for sale if anyone is interested. I've never had problems with popping the top off, just dial it to the lowest setting if you're a beginner and work your way up.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used my Futur for over a year and HD is the way to go, especially if you are going to use a DE for the first time.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Really? A whole year? I go through a regular sized container of it in a month... I wonder if I'm doing something wrong
plain.gif

You are either using way too much product, or you are descended from yetis.
laugh.gif
How are you applying it? You only need a very small dab of it on the end of the brush.

A tub of their cream lasts me at least six months. I'm about seven months into my current cake of the soap and it should get me through the end of this year.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
You are either using way too much product, or you are descended from yetis.
laugh.gif
How are you applying it? You only need a very small dab of it on the end of the brush.

I just do a quick dab with my brush, and probably use about 1-2 teaspoons worth I'd say. One month was a bit of dramatization though, and the regular container does last me a bit longer than that.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
I just do a quick dab with my brush, and probably use about 1-2 teaspoons worth I'd say. One month was a bit of dramatization though, and the regular container does last me a bit longer than that.

1-2 teaspoons is many times more than you need for a single shaving. I probably use less than one teaspoon per week. That stuff foams up very well if you have the right amount of water on the brush. You might want to give hard shaving soap a try--you get much better feedback regarding the lather formation.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1-2 teaspoons is many times more than you need for a single shaving. I probably use less than one teaspoon per week. That stuff foams up very well if you have the right amount of water on the brush. You might want to give hard shaving soap a try--you get much better feedback regarding the lather formation.
I don't believe you, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
smile.gif

MCsommerreid

Reaction score

Teaspoons you're talking, not tablespoons, right? And good shaving cream shouldn't "foam", it should turn into a highly glossy thick cream. I usually use about a teaspoon of cream, give or take. Tubs of T&H will last me the better part of half a year with that method.

I find cream to be a MUCH better lathering medium than a hard soap. The hard soaps tend to be a pain to really get going, and form more foamy lather usually.

Though, this is also coming from a straight/safety razor shaver, so perhaps its an entirely different creature with cartridge razors.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay, so I tried the tiny amount of shaving cream this morning and the lather was really weak and is not going to be doable with my thicker beard hairs. I'll experiment with different water to cream ratios over the next few days though to see if I can get any improvement before going back to my usual amount.

Teaspoons you're talking, not tablespoons, right?
Yes, teaspoon teaspoons, not tablespoons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads