• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Art of Shaving kit

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Okay, so I tried the tiny amount of shaving cream this morning and the lather was really weak and is not going to be doable with my thicker beard hairs. I'll experiment with different water to cream ratios over the next few days though to see if I can get any improvement before going back to my usual amount.

Make sure you don't use the same amount of water with it as before, or you'll it will obviously be a much thinner lather.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Okay, so I tried the tiny amount of shaving cream this morning and the lather was really weak and is not going to be doable with my thicker beard hairs. I'll experiment with different water to cream ratios over the next few days though to see if I can get any improvement before going back to my usual amount.

I run the brush under hot water, then very lightly tap it a couple of times to get out excess water, then put a small dab of cream (a little smaller than, say, a Tylenol pill) on the brush, then rub it on my face to get the lather going. That creates plenty of thick lather, but perhaps your expectations or needs are different.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCsommerreid
Teaspoons you're talking, not tablespoons, right? And good shaving cream shouldn't "foam", it should turn into a highly glossy thick cream. I usually use about a teaspoon of cream, give or take. Tubs of T&H will last me the better part of half a year with that method.

I find cream to be a MUCH better lathering medium than a hard soap. The hard soaps tend to be a pain to really get going, and form more foamy lather usually.

If I needed a teaspoon of cream per shave, I'd be using a jar of Art of Shaving cream every five to six weeks (6 teaspoons to the ounce, 5.3 ounce jar). I'd go back to using an electric just to save money.

If you prefer the term "lather" to "foam," fine by me. They seem synonymous to me but they clearly aren't to you.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What size brush do you have? All of my brushes are Shavemac 23 - 25mm knot widths...and I squeeze out about the same amount of shaving cream as I would toothpaste on a toothbrush. You just have to experiment with cream/water ratios. Also keep in mind it is much easier to add water if your lather is too thick/not hydrated enough than removing too much water from the mix. An entire teaspoon of shaving cream is WAY too much unless your shaving brush is one of those monster 30mms.

Go to Youtube and do a search for user "mantic", he has some wonderful tutorial videos on lathering, shaving, etc.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
If I needed a teaspoon of cream per shave, I'd be using a jar of Art of Shaving cream every five to six weeks (6 teaspoons to the ounce, 5.3 ounce jar). I'd go back to using an electric just to save money.

I was mistaken in my estimation about how much I used. Last time I shaved I actually used a measuring device, and I use a little less than 1/2 teaspoon, and it lasts me all 5 passes of my shave (WTG, ATG, ATG, XTG, Touchup). Plus I use a giant 35mm custom knot, which requires a little more product than the smaller knots, but cause much better hydration in the lather.

rxcats

Reaction score
I just bought the Art of Shaving Kit at Costco. It was $29.97 plus tax. It includes a shaving brush (pure badger), 60ml (2oz) pre-shave oil, 150gm (5.3oz) of shaving cream and 125ml (4oz) of after-shave balm. All are "unscented for sensitive skin". Seems like a really good deal considering how much the stuff usually retails for. I going to Denver in the morning for a wedding; I'll probably wait and try it when I get back Sunday.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rxcats
I just bought the Art of Shaving Kit at Costco. It was $29.97 plus tax. It includes a shaving brush (pure badger), 60ml (2oz) pre-shave oil, 150gm (5.3oz) of shaving cream and 125ml (4oz) of after-shave balm. All are "unscented for sensitive skin". Seems like a really good deal considering how much the stuff usually retails for. I going to Denver in the morning for a wedding; I'll probably wait and try it when I get back Sunday.

Wow im going there tomorrow. Did they have the lemon essential? The one for normal to oily?

I haven't shaved in year, just trimming and im not really sure what skin type I am

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just stopped by price costco. They have the unscented for sensitive skin only... I am just getting into this and I am not sure how to asses my skin. I can recall previous times shaving (haven't shaved in a year) and I can remember being very dry after shave balm and everything. Granted I know the balm and other factors could have caused dryness, is there any downfall to buying the sensitive skin skit if I need normal to dry kit instead? I also remember getting bumps under my chin but again, this could be the lather, razor, etc. For 30 bucks, I guess it wouldn't even hurt to try it out, the sensitive kit that is.

phil47

Reaction score
There's a guy on YouTube who demonstrates a lot of this (safety razors, brushes, traditional creams & soaps, etc.). Worth a look.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phil47
There's a guy on YouTube who demonstrates a lot of this (safety razors, brushes, traditional creams & soaps, etc.). Worth a look.

Mantic is the MAN. The videos he did are basically the greatest beginner resource to old school wet shaving, and he's a great contributer to the shaving forums.

rxcats

Reaction score
The Art of Shaving Kit is not for me. I tried it for a week and already threw away the shaving brush. From the very beginning, I noticed a funky-musty smell from the brush; it's horse hair isn't it? The pre-shave oil is OK, but I acutally like Casell-Massey (almond) pre-shave oil better. Not keen about the shaving cream; I am back to Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Art of Shaving Kit is not for me. I tried it for a week and already threw away the shaving brush. From the very beginning, I noticed a funky-musty smell from the brush; it's horse hair isn't it? The pre-shave oil is OK, but I acutally like Casell-Massey (almond) pre-shave oil better. Not keen about the shaving cream; I am back to Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel.

That sounds alarming. Horsehair?

I've been to the Art of Shaving shop at the new Bloomingdales shopping center, and they had some high quality brushes by Plisson. I believe are the only mass retailer to carry Plisson in the U.S.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's badger hair and according to the man, mantic, it's supposed to smell initially

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
It's badger hair and according to the man, mantic, it's supposed to smell initially

Correct on it being badger hair, but it isn't necessarily supposed to smell. Usually the higher end brushes are washed and treated so they no longer have any hint of badger funk, and the lower end ones didn't come from a funky part of the badger to begin with (back vs chin).

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCsommerreid
Correct on it being badger hair, but it isn't necessarily supposed to smell. Usually the higher end brushes are washed and treated so they no longer have any hint of badger funk, and the lower end ones didn't come from a funky part of the badger to begin with (back vs chin).

Mine was lower end no doubt. I paid <$30.00 for the whole AOS kit at Costco. Unfortunately I also have a super sensitive nose. I could never get used to the smell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads