• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Art of Shaving kit

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rxcats
Mine was lower end no doubt. I paid <$30.00 for the whole AOS kit at Costco. Unfortunately I also have a super sensitive nose. I could never get used to the smell.

But doesn't that kit include the pure badger, 50 dollar brush? I thought it was supposed to be a pretty decent brush

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
But doesn't that kit include the pure badger, 50 dollar brush? I thought it was supposed to be a pretty decent brush
I'm not sure if it's the same one, but I have the version that came in the kit and I don't remember any odd smell with it when I first got it. I purchased mine from Nordstrom, for what it's worth.

rxcats

Reaction score

It looked like a decent brush, but I don't really know anything about badger brushes or what they are supposed to be like. I just noticed a smell every time I used it. The fact that everything in the kit is fragrance free may add to it; there is nothing to cover up that musty smell. I ended up throwing the brush away after the first week. I know I would NEVER get used to it. Since I always liked the Aveeno shaving gel, I went back to using it. I know a lot of people here really like AOS and using a badger brush. It's just not for me. It's like my brother says "different strokes for different folks".

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
NO!!! Why did you throw away a perfectly good badger brush? The smell would have faded completely with a week of use, or immediately if you wash it with some shampoo.

Pure grade badger is the bottom of the badger ladder, with Finest/Super and Silvertip being above it. Not that it being a lower grade is a bad thing, actually I love using my Pure brushes, they are just not quite as soft and are more prickly than Super or Silvertips.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rxcats
Mine was lower end no doubt. I paid <$30.00 for the whole AOS kit at Costco. Unfortunately I also have a super sensitive nose. I could never get used to the smell.

Washing it in Borax can take care of that pretty well. Or using it for a tub of Truefitt & Hill 1805, now my brush smells like awesome.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it matter if you don't use borax though and let the smell vanish on its own?

I can't find any videos by mantic on applying preshave oil... do you simply rub it on in the shower and try not to let water hit ur face? Do you guys ever exfoliate before using it?

How does my first lather preparation look?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it matter if you don't use borax though and let the smell vanish on its own? I can't find any videos by mantic on applying preshave oil... do you simply rub it on in the shower and try not to let water hit ur face? Do you guys ever exfoliate before using it? How does my first lather preparation look?
I've never used Borax on a new brush. The smell gets covered up with the cream/soap pretty soon anyway and it basically gets washed every time you use it (shaving cream/soap is basically just soap anyway). Preshave oil is a (relatively) controversial topic for shaving aficionados. I like it, I think it makes for a more comfortable shave with less irritation, but it also is kind a pain to apply and can leave a residue on the razor and brush. I hardly use it these days, but I did use Zirh or AOS pre-shave oil for two years straight and I was pretty pleased with it. I apply it on a damp (dry lightly) face after a shower, and I never exfoliate before shaving. Shaving every day is plenty of exfoliation for that area for me. Prep looks good, a little airy for me (more water in the mixture) but it's a matter of taste.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Prep looks good, a little airy for me (more water in the mixture) but it's a matter of taste.

Okay thanks for the help. I let the brush drain itself and I never added any water to the mug, as I've seen in the mantic videos. Perhaps I used too little shaving creme? It looked about nickel-sized.

Reaction score
i like to give the brush one good shake before lathering to slop off the excess water, you can always dab the brush in water to moisten up the lather if you find it too dry

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
i like to give the brush one good shake before lathering to slop off the excess water, you can always dab the brush in water to moisten up the lather if you find it too dry

+1, I shake the hell out of it. There's already plenty of water absorbed in the bristles and on my face, I want to start with as little as possible and add if necessary. I sprinkle a few drops in the bowl if need be.

More cream will actually increase the density.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
I use a Gillette fatboy adjustable with Feather blades. You can find the Gillettes on Ebay at decent prices. I've found I like Proraso cream as much as any of the more expensive English ones. My personal preference is to lather on my face with brush as wet as possible. On brushes, don't skimp. Buy the best you can afford.

phil47

Reaction score
Does it matter if you don't use borax though and let the smell vanish on its own?

I can't find any videos by mantic on applying preshave oil... do you simply rub it on in the shower and try not to let water hit ur face? Do you guys ever exfoliate before using it?

How does my first lather preparation look?

You don't need to use Borax if you can put up with the smell until it goes away
blush.gif
. An animal shampoo works well too.

I actually asked mantic about pre-shave oils myself a few months ago. He said if its an oil specifically made for use with traditional creams or soaps you can just massage some into your wet face right before you start lathering up. He didn't seem to have a very high opinion of them though. He told me if I was looking for a little extra glide and protection to just massage in a few drops of Corn Huskers lotion(!) before lathering up.

To me your lather looks like it has a bit too much water but not too bad for a first try. I had terrible problems with getting a consistant lather for what seemed like months (maybe it was!
plain.gif
).

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lather is a bit thin, use less water next time

i have found that olive oil is the best preshave.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads