• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are freaking awesome Watch..congrats

Thank you!

Congrats, man. Those are beautiful.

Thanks! These were supposed to be the remake for the Dundees that had the rough welt stitching. But I was informed that my natty shell Macneil (the same one you saw delivered at the 5th ace store) was rejected because of unbalanced wings and that they could no longer make me a new pair since there was no longer any natty shell. This this ended up being the replacement for the natty Macneils. I'm happy they turned out great but I'm devastated I missed out on natty shell. I was hoping to get the defective pair as seconds but was told it was no longer available. There's a lucky 8.5D guy who got that pair at discount.

Mein gott!! Those are terrific Dale! Jesus, just made my navy shell jones even stronger. And I believe this is the most acceptable pairing of navy with a light edge that I've seen! ;)

Super duper jelly.

Thanks Pepper! I darkened the edge with AEs brown edge dressing. Love how it turned out.

fairlynerdy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dale, those are outstanding. Between these and those kickass suede and calf boots, you're on a roll lately for getting well finished AEs.

Did you request dark welt stitching? It's a nice touch with the natural welt.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you!
Thanks! These were supposed to be the remake for the Dundees that had the rough welt stitching. But I was informed that my natty shell Macneil (the same one you saw delivered at the 5th ace store) was rejected because of unbalanced wings and that they could no longer make me a new pair since there was no longer any natty shell. This this ended up being the replacement for the natty Macneils. I'm happy they turned out great but I'm devastated I missed out on natty shell. I was hoping to get the defective pair as seconds but was told it was no longer available. There's a lucky 8.5D guy who got that pair at discount.
Thanks Pepper! I darkened the edge with AEs brown edge dressing. Love how it turned out.

Are you saying that there is still some navy shell remaining?

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful "replacements"
Sorry that Natural shell was not in the cards, Dale.

I like First Aves, but loved Bayfields...

2014 MTO Bayfields, toe brogue only, independent collection lining.

Right boot is brown CXL with lugged Vibram.
.Left boot is brown shell cordovan with an oxford style Gumlite Vibram.

Shell today

CXL last Tuesday

And Gigi says hi at 16 weeks old.

Last edited:

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard for me not to wear that Eagle County GMTO every day in the winter. jzrhwinnj, did yours ever develop wear spots on the tongue where the eyelets rub?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard for me not to wear that Eagle County GMTO every day in the winter. jzrhwinnj, did yours ever develop wear spots on the tongue where the eyelets rub?

a while ago posted some fixes for that - one was using a plier and crimping the eyelets(as the factory should have done) another is to us a metal file and file them and a third is to is a hammer and wood block-- all three have worked for me

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a while ago posted some fixes for that - one was using a plier and crimping the eyelets(as the factory should have done) another is to us a metal file and file them and a third is to is a hammer and wood block-- all three have worked for me

I filed down the two offending eyelets on mine and have not had problems since--I was curious if it was a general problem or just mine! Thanks, Kahuna.

rc121

Reaction score
Anyone with the EC/ER find a good pair of replacement laces? I'd love to pick up some Alden replicas (flat waxed) but have heard conflicting opinions on different options. Anyone with a good source and what would the size (width and length) be?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone with the EC/ER find a good pair of replacement laces? I'd love to pick up some Alden replicas (flat waxed) but have heard conflicting opinions on different options. Anyone with a good source and what would the size (width and length) be?

I use TZ Laces(through Amazon and through their own website) with varied results - not the laces - they have been great - just varied as to what I liked - I simply took the lace out and measured it and ordered something similar in length - I will see if I have any pictures with flat laces in

Last edited:

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dale, those are outstanding. Between these and those kickass suede and calf boots, you're on a roll lately for getting well finished AEs.

Did you request dark welt stitching? It's a nice touch with the natural welt.

Yes I did. Glad it turned out OK.

@watchidiot those are amazing!

Can you share the exact specs for the sole/welt? Thinking of sending in a pair to AE recraft and requesting them...
Natural welt with dark stitching. Red dainite outsole with leather midsole. I then applied brown edge dressing to the midsole and Dainite hehe.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the Alden flat waxed laces in my EC, highly recommend. The flat laces they use for the Indy boot is also a great choice. TZ laces are very sturdy and I ordered their 3/16" laces in 47" long for my Bayfields (have not tried in my EC but may require longer with the extra eyelets) and they fit great, though they didn't have a nice darker brown color.

Here is the Indy non waxed laces in my Bayfields, pretty much my fav in them.

Alden Flat waxed vs the Indy non waxed flat laces.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads