• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE 2024 ALLEN EDMONDS (AE) APPRECIATION THREAD

pbrandes

Reaction score
Just popping in to see if I can get some sizing opinions. Picked up my first pair of AEs on the 65 last, went to a store to get sized and they had a 10E for me to try but no 9.5E. Salesman said he liked the fit of the 10E on me but I ordered both to try side by side at home. For reference, I wear a 9.5D in Alden trubalance, barrie, and van. My last AE was a Dalton that I did not like the fit.

Trying them on, the 9.5E feels a bit tight but not bad. The 10E feels good but possibly a bit long and I am worried about the space in front of the toe.

In the pictures with my hand, I am essentially touching the tip of my big toe.

9.5E
View attachment 2105083 View attachment 2105085

10E
View attachment 2105087 View attachment 2105089

Note: These will be bar laced obviously, but I am going to get new laces and this was just for getting a fit going.

One other thing worth checking is in which size does the ball of your foot align with the widest part of the shoe. I find for me that is more important for a good fit than extra space in front of toes.

kmarriner

Reaction score
One other thing worth checking is in which size does the ball of your foot align with the widest part of the shoe. I find for me that is more important for a good fit than extra space in front of toes.
I actually just felt this out during my last try on before one pair goes back in the box to be returned to the store tomorrow.
In the 10, it feels like the widest part is just ever so slightly in front of the ball of my foot. The 9.5 feels like the widest part is right in the middle of the ball of my foot.

Based on all my trying on I am going to stick with the 9.5s I think. I am probably going to second guess myself but its comfortable and I just need to make a decision. This is one of those situations where being able to do a Freaky Friday and get a second or third opinion.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am interested in seeing if I can cover these bleached areas of my Carter.
IMG_8139.jpeg

pbrandes

Reaction score
My name is pbrandes and I have a shoe problem.

Last year I went way overboard with last year's AE March Madness custom-color deal. Shown here are one-of-a-kind Strandsneaks I've never gotten around to wearing and never will, just have too many other sneaks I like more. Burgundy/yellow leather with pairs of laces in each color, black rubber soles, size 9.5E. I figure they'd be more at home with someone rooting for USC or other college with similar school colors. I'm planning to put them up on eBay for $225, but thought I'd give the folks on here first pick.

IMG_6378.JPG

IMG_6377.JPG

IMG_6380.JPG

PM me if interested.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My name is pbrandes and I have a shoe problem.

Last year I went way overboard with last year's AE March Madness custom-color deal. Shown here are one-of-a-kind Strandsneaks I've never gotten around to wearing and never will, just have too many other sneaks I like more. Burgundy/yellow leather with pairs of laces in each color, black rubber soles, size 9.5E. I figure they'd be more at home with someone rooting for USC or other college with similar school colors. I'm planning to put them up on eBay for $225, but thought I'd give the folks on here first pick.

View attachment 2105943

View attachment 2105945

View attachment 2105947

PM me if interested.

French fries and ketchup sneakers!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chapman today. Love this green color. I see our Alden Lover has put another 15 minute plus video on YouTube. I think an AE video should get at least 20 minutes.

I checked out that guy's other videos and he does have way more AE than Alden in his content. Just sayin. No affiliation with him or anything.

BTW, what is a "barn" boot?

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MajorDash, I think those look really nice.

A couple things caught my eye tonight. AE now sells the beige flat laces for boots in lengths of 55 and 59. This is long overdue, but it's awesome. Also, the 33 inch beige laces for shoes are also back. Take advantage of this while it's here. It's been years since this was available.

Also, while I have no interest in driving shoes, I would like to see a Higgins or Strand in this leather.

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 5.37.31 PM.png

Reaction score
Sunday morning boots for walk to KB CaféShop

20240107_102108.jpg
20240107_102133.jpg
20240107_102234.jpg
20240107_102218.jpg

AE Long Branch Wing Tips with AE recrafted Itshide Commando Sole. The original Vibram sole was very soft and wore out quicker than most of my other soles, but it was very comfortable. They were supplied with red and brown laces, I prefer the "pop" that red offers.

Unfortunately I made the rookie mistake of sending them to AE for "recrafting" before I learned about how destructive and poor quality the AE service is. I had to take them to a local cobbler, Atelier Maubeuge Cordonnier, to get them fixed after both heels started to fall off soon after getting them back from AE. He reglued and used screws to affix them to the heel stacks. I am also concerned about what hidden damage there is to the upper that I can't see from the AE machine rewelting that doesn't use the existing holes in the upper. I wish AE was transparent about their destructive process and that I didn't have to learn about this from a cobbler.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BracesoverBelts